A Good Price?

How do you know your getting a good price on a new FW? We are looking at a Silverado 36TB and the MSRP is around 55k. Since we are full timers and have the flexibility to travel to get a unit I have been calling around price shopping. Currently our best offer for the same unit is around ***! This is a big difference?!?

How do I know I'm getting a good price it feels like every time I call someone new I get a lower price. Is there a way to know when to jump on a price?

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

I look for 25 to 35 percent off the MSRP it helps to find a dealer you can trust

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

scottyb

I found what I wanted and got a price from a couple local dealers. I searched about every internet wholesaler I could find and got the best price with shipping, then got my local dealer to meet that price. It was about 10% below my dealer's original asking price.

dbbls59

If you find the unit you want look for a dealer that has a good service department. The dealer is far more important than the lowest price.

GOTTOYS

My next one will come from wherever I can get the best price. If you shop the internet and beat up your local dealer you should be looking at 30-35% off the MSRP. Service from a local dealer isn't worth much to me. My one experience from my selling dealer wasn't very good. If you're traveling you won't be getting anything done at your selling dealer anyway...Don

boatdoc

My next one will come from wherever I can get the best price. If you shop the internet and beat up your local dealer you should be looking at 30-35% off the MSRP. Service from a local dealer isn't worth much to me. My one experience from my selling dealer wasn't very good. If you're traveling you won't be getting anything done at your selling dealer anyway...Don

Agree 100%. Don't let the sales guy baffle you. No less than 30% off the true MSRP and better at 35%. Many service centers I've seen are a joke so don't let that sway your decision. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask all the questions you want on here.

Westwind

I agree, get the price, 25 - 30% off, 35% would be great. Just make sure you do a thorough pre-delivery check of all systems and the trailer. Nothing ever happens at home near the dealer, always happens on the road. That's what happened to us, electric thermostat on the water heater quit in Florida got it repaired at Camping World under warranty. Our kitchen slide wouldn't go out in Maryland, I fixed it when I got home. Our dealer is 4 hours from home, but so far all of our problems have been small, all but one I fixed myself. I hunted for price and ended up with a Bighorn which was more trailer then we though we could afford.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing you have to remember is. That HL sells the dealer a unit at the dealers price...HL has its own suggested list price and the dealers jack that up to at least 25-30% over that. Buying a trailer is NOT like buying a car. Dealers MAKE up their own price.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
My wife and I are looking for a new BH3585RL and have negotiated a price of $****** on the 2013 model that has many extras (bedroom AC, central vac, side by side fridge, leather couch and recliners, high gloss gel coat, 3 slide toppers, Reese 5th airborne hitch pin, electric power cord reel, 2 extra dinnete chairs and a 32 inch bedroom TV). From all of our research, we seem to be getting the deal that everyone here in the forum has been talking about (30%) off MSRP. The MSRP for this with the options is $******. Does that sound about right for the deal that I should be expecting to get most dealer to come down to?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi For20Hunter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly people who are always willing to help when you need something.

I've edited out the prices that you posted so as to comply with forum rules, but I think most people would agree that 30% is a pretty good discount from MSRP.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Dan,

Sorry, I guess I should have looked into the rules a little more before posting.

Rod Ditrich

oscar

As I am shopping I am in the same boat as the OP. We keep a VERY close eye on rvtrader.com

The same dealers keep popping up with low prices. The same units keep popping up. They're not flying off the shelf in December or January. We plan on starting at the lowest price and working our way up until we find a unit we like and a price we can accept. Some dealers have prices that are waaay out there.

I plan on playing the dealers against each other...."Beat this and you have the deal".

It's ugly, but it's a lot of money. Supply and demand.

As far as dealer loyalty..... Except for warrantee work, which any dealer will be happy to do as they get paid by HL, I do all my own repairs and maintenance.

And, last time I "bought local" the darn place was out of business less than a year later.