A new direction with a Rod and Custom Shop

wonka

Great looking job, especially considering you are by yourself. Makes for a long day doing purlins by yourself, set the purlin, climb the ladder and get it in place, move to the other side, rinse,lather, repeat, tires me out thinking about it.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Great looking job, especially considering you are by yourself. Makes for a long day doing purlins by yourself, set the purlin, climb the ladder and get it in place, move to the other side, rinse,lather, repeat, tires me out thinking about it.

I was feeling the pain yesterday. It was taking me about 45 minutes per section of purlin to get them in place x 16 pieces = 12 hrs of climbing and moving the ladder and jumping in and out of the skidder for that juggling and balancing act.

I didn't get anything done on the building today. Spent this morning at my daughters school at the awards ceremony and spent the rest of the day in town getting a state safety inspection done on my dually and then getting tags for it. The tags expired May 15th... OOPS!

Here's were I was as of last night. All finished with the purlins, have the rear eave struts on and all of the girts on the end walls and back wall.

P6070002.jpg

P6070008.jpg

SilverRhino

The rate at which this project progresses is extremely impressive.........especially so when you take into consideration the size of your "crew" ;);)

Great job!

pmmjarrett

Thank you Randy.

The main frame is almost done. Just need to get the walk door, roll up door frame cover trim, window framing, rake angle, corner angles and possibly the windows on and it's time to put on the siding. I may go ahead and install the roll up doors now while everything is still easy to work on.

All the major framing is done. Everything is bolted up tight and level. Spent all day tightening all the bolts on the girts and purlins and installing the cable bracing.

P6100003.jpg

P6100006.jpg

P6100007.jpg

P6100010.jpg

First order of business tomorrow is to get this walk door frame assembled and installed.

P6100012.jpg

Netem

Looking good Mike, Won't be long and you will be building that first truck thats in your head. Keep up the good work and careful with that siding, alittle too much wind and you could be jumping again only without a chute. :)

pmmjarrett

That first truck that's in my head is sitting in the back yard waiting to be stuffed into the new shop;)

If it's windy or nasty out, I'm just gonna kick back in the recliner and kill some zombies on the Xbox. No worries there. I don't think my bones can handle a parachute landing fall anymore, with or without the chute.

pmmjarrett

Or try some . . . . Angry Birds. LoL

I don't think I can flap my wings fast enough LOL.

Hey, would you fire your me if I over slept and didn't get up until 9, showed up for work at 10, took a 10 minute break every 10 minutes, tore up $50 worth of drill bits and all I got accomplished was almost getting a 3070 walk door installed in a day.

Murpheys Law struck today finally. Didn't get nowhere near as much done as I hoped I would today. I managed to break two 5/8" hammer drill bits, two 1/4" hammer drill bits, a 1/2" step drill and rip the teeth off of two cheap metal cutting blades for the sawzall.... $50 down the drain. Managed to install the mortise lockset wrong twice before I finally got it right on the third try. Walk door is almost installed, still have to install 2 girt brackets, the threshold and the door sweep.

p6110001.jpg

P6110005.jpg

P6110007.jpg

P6110011.jpg

Moose

Looking good.

After a day like that you feel Murphy isn't the great helper he is cracked up to be, is he.:D

Well on the bright side, now that you have the door and lock installed you can sleep better at night knowing your tools are safe and secure.:angel:

Looking forward to more pictures as project progresses.

Netem

Hey Mike, Thats what retirement is about. What you don't get done today will be waiting for you tomorrow. I've got a 48 Chev I been working on for 2 yrs and its always waiting for me when I go down to my shop. Ain't retirement great. :)

irvin56

Well on the bright side, now that you have the door and lock installed you can sleep better at night knowing your tools are safe and secure.:angel:

this comment is GREAT, thanks for the chuckes, lots of them.
I have heard it before but with the picture it's priceless

pmmjarrett

Don't pick on my door. It the first one I've ever had. Wait until I put the windows in next so I can get a little breeze going through the building.

Last shop didn't have any doors and security was never a problem. Of course the shed looked so ragged you wouldn't think I kept anything in it.

From the gate you have a 100' sprint past my dogs to get to the door and you better be faster than a speeding bullet in the last 50' from the house to the shop when I step out the back door with my carbine and my ammo belt with a full combat load of seven 30 round mags.

IMG00620-20100620-0759.jpg

IMG01198.jpg

I have a sign posted that reads "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

I'm taking today off. Should be back into it tomorrow weather permitting.

Moose

For sure the windows will help with the circulation, especially if you open the door for cross ventilation.

I'd let the dogs dine on them first then introduce the lead poisoning. Afterall you wouldn't want your dogs to ingest any heavy metal. LoL

Hope the weather is good for you next week.

One of these mounted on your new shop would look pretty persuading.

m134d-land.jpg

pmmjarrett

Naw, I don't want my dogs getting sick eating some filthy maggot. Now the remote control mini gun. I like that. Hook the camera sight into my big screen TV and I wouldn't even have to get out of my recliner. Be just like playing on the Xbox :)

pmmjarrett

Finally got around to finishing up the door and framed and installed 3 windows today. Managed to break my nice brand spanking new Dewalt pilot point 1/2" drill bit today too.

P6150015.jpg

P6150018.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, hurry and get a new bit so you can get the rest of the windows in. At least you can open the ones you have in right now and get a breeze to blow through. If you open the door also that will help. LOL

irvin56

could you put windows anywhere or did they have to be in a specific place in building? Is all the steel coated or do you have to spray before closing in?

pmmjarrett

Bob, I got the winders in and a roll up door too, living in high cotton here.

Irvin, the windows and walk door are "field located" meaning I can put them wherever I want. All of the frameing is in red primer. Can paint it if I want but it's good as it is.

All of the windows are in, and I finished the install on one of the roll up doors today. The roll up door was easier to install than the walk door was. These doors are DBCI 5000 wind certified commercial doors. Pretty happy with how it operates as it rolls up and down with very little effort. My big door openings are covered with trim. That's an option you may need to ask for with some building kits. Prolly would have looked pretty good too if I just painted the framing around the big door openings white.

p6160001.jpg

P6160005.jpg

P6160008.jpg

P6180011.jpg

P6180013.jpg

P6180015.jpg