A New Truck to pull my new Landmark?

James

Hi, everyone new to Heartland rvs old to 5ver and tag. I currently have a 2005 F350 Kings Ranch CC LB DRW 6.0 Diesel 4.10 automatic, towing guide allows me to tow 16,100 lbs, same truck with 4.30 gears will allow to tow 18,600 lbs. Check www.ford.com site for towing or www.trailerlife.com all towing capabilities. If I gross my Mt. Rushmore out at 16,000 lbs I will still be 100 lbs less than max allowable. Dry weight on Mt Rushmore 12,800 lbs plus options weight, well under max allowable.

BluegrassMan

Trailer GVW vs. Truck CGVW

Hi Guys:

I didn't know that states were checking weights on 5th wheel rigs. As far as I know they aren't in Pa,Md,De, WVA. I haven't heard a word about it (YET). I figure it's coming sometime. As to putting a pickup bed on a 450-550. Wont work without some modifications, the chassis is wider that a 350. Around here, they are putting fontaine beds on the chassis cab truck.

That all being said , I have a HD2500 Ram V-10. 3:54 GEARS. I just traded a 37ft. Sea Breeze triple axel, triple slide in on my Landmark Grand Canyon. I beleive that the Landmark tows alittle better with the 4 tires and the high pressures in them, I know for sure it turns sharp much better. I have Air Lift bags on the back, it keeps the weight off the springs and rides like a Caddy.

The Seabreeze had a dry wt. of 13K and a Gross of about 18K the Grand Canyon said it was 12,500 with Granite it would be back up to what I had before. But REALLY are we ever going to carry 5000 lbs of stuff ???? I don't think I own that much stuff. Just my $.02 worth:eek:

BigBlue

BigBlue
Another vehicle to consider is the Chevrolet Kodiak. I'm towing my Monticello with a C4500 with a Monroe VersHauler Bed. I've got the 8.1 L gas engine with Alleson 1000 transmission. Rear end is 5.13. I'm getting 7 mpg whether I'm pullilng or not. We got the crew cab and love the space.
Jim

jbeletti

Jim (BigBlue),

Do you have any pictures posted of your truck and trailer. I'd like to that truck of yours - it really sounds nice.

Jim

jbeletti

Jim,

Thanks for the link. Big Blue is, big! But I am certain it's just what you need to pull the Monticello. I hope we can cross paths one day as we're sort of close. When you were in Union, IL, you were a few miles from my Landmark at Lehman's on Harmony Road.

I see you are now in Utica, IL. We love that area. It's actually the first place we camped (in a rented pop-up in Oct. of 2003) and got bitten by the camping bug and bought our first trailer (a TrailManor) after we left. We stayed at the state park campground at Starved Rock.

Best of luck with Jessica's wedding and maybe see you on the road one day!

Jim

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The Kodiak truck that I looked at was very similar to yours, only it was white. My wife says that she will have a problem stepping onto the running board because it is so high. Still working on a plan to fix this problem.

I don't think I'll order one with the 5.13 gears, I want a little better than 7 MPG! I'm hoping a good used Freightliner will be available when I'm ready to buy. I have a friend in the used car business, so when the time comes, I'll go to some auctions with him to see whats there.

BigBlue

BigBlue
At the time I ordered mine in 2003, the only gear ratio they offered was 5.13. I wanted something else but after 3 calls to the factory talking to the engineers I gave up.
Yes the steps are high. My wife would like another step that comes out below. I've seen some for RVs and will investigate them to see if they'll work.
Jim

BigBlue

BigBlue
Jim
You've got a very nice web site. Hope ours will look that good evenually.
The parks here at Starved Rock are awesome. We've been hiking through them and really enjoyed it.
It would be nice if we run into each other someday and can compare notes
Jim

bking

Pulling Golden Gate with F250

We just agreed with a dealer on a new Golden Gate. Should be here is 6 weeks according to dealer. He has promise from factory that it will be. We have an '05 Ford F250 diesel 4X4 extended cab short bed truck. It has all the towing options Ford offers.

jbeletti

bking,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Landmark Golden Gate order! And a nice new F250 to go along with it all - you have a lot to smile about.

We look forward to learning more about you and your "stuff" and hope to see you contribute and take good information away from this forum.

Take care,

Jim

Cooper

I have 2006 Land Mark Golden Gate I pull it with a 2006 F250 4X4 Crew Cab. The trucks pulls the trailer great. I have pulled it about 15,000 miles no problems on any grade from Tx to TENN or any type stopping situation. I think most of you guys have a BIG TRUCK fedish.

Princess Kathleen

New truck on the way

Hi
Just had to brag....we ordered our Ford 350 diesel DRW 4:10 4X4 privacy glass....chrome...bells....and whistles....:D
Only 13 more working days....
New grand baby coming first of April in Montreal....
Grand Canyon...due end of April in Knoxville
Rally....first of JUne....

And still need to purge...yard sale....:eek: send the cat off to my daughter..None

TY
Princess Kathleen

BluegrassMan

13 days to go

Hi PrincessK:
Congrats on 13 days to go. I hope your GC arrives Perfect. We love ours. I just wish we had all the time to enjoy it. I have a 30 yr and out plan where I work. I'll have 38 years in by Sept. I'm still just 55. If I didn't spend my money on New RV's I would be retired :eek: . Working for the man, you never make a killing. BUT you can get some nice toys:rolleyes:

I own the mt rushmore, and I'm pulling it with a 05, dodge with the cummins diesel, im using the 373 gear rato without a problem, its rated to pull 18,000 lbs. the only thing i did change was putting air bags under the rear axle to keep it totally level. I have pulled it for several thousand miles, getting 13 mpg. My last 5th wheel was a titanium, by glendale, which is supposedly great for pulling and is 4,000 pounds less than my landmark, I get better milage with the landmark.

jbeletti

shutterbugtodd,

Welcome to the forum.

Were you pulling your Titanium with the same truck?

Maybe that Heartland front cap is really as aerodynamic as advertised!

Take care,

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Shutterbugtodd, What model Titanium did you have? We had a 28E33SB never in the shop, towed with a F-350, CC, 3:73 rear, sb and got 14.5 towing. I would get 22.5 to 23.5 mpg empty but I had a programmer. With my setup now, see sig, I am getting 10.5 to 11.3 towing and 15 to 17.5 not towing.

Trap

Tom the F-550 with the 4.88 gears will tow way better than a F-350 Dually. Milage running down the highway empty won't be great. We're looking at upgrading to the Tow Boss later this year, cause we're looking at the Bighorn 3400RL. While the Tow Boss may work for the Monticello I agree that a little more truck would be better, especially if your Towing a lot.

Trap