A new water leak every week ?

mrmorris

Not trying to knock Heartland , I very much enjoy my 2012 Grand Canyon . Having said that , ever since I picked it up I have had a new water leak at least every week or so ! I live in it full time & it has only been moved 3 times since I bought it ( less that 1500 miles on it ). I was just wondering if this was a common problem or am I just the lucky one ? It started with the fittings behind the docking station , then behind the shower , then under the kitchen sink , & this weekend the check valve on the water heater cracked & soaked everything . The nearest RV dealer is over 100 miles away from were I am set up so I have gotten pretty good at finding & fixing these things issues . Just a little frustrating that every time I get one taken care of another pops up !

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, are you using a water pressure regulator?

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Im with you, 1st was the black tank flush check valve, flooded bath room, on top of that it was behind a built in cabinet in the bath the dealer half way put the cabinet back together. 2nd was lose fitting on the water pump, and just last week had to replace the kitchen sink faucet. I turn on the 12 volt water pump when going to bed and listen for it to cycle after it builds up pressure to check for leaks.

dbbls59

It seems to be a common problem with Heartland. My basement has been flooded two times. My dealer re-crimped all the fittings they could get to and replaced several gaskets in the other connections. I bought a crimping tool because I knew I would be needing it. Sure enough I have used it. You should probably invest in one also. Lowes has them. There are two types so you need to be careful which one you get. One is a compression and it leaves a round brass ring around the pipe. Heartland using the other kind and it has part of the ring sticking up.

mobilcastle

I think Heartland build a good solid unit-is it perfect? No. All rv's have some problems-that is nature of the product. BTW- check to make sure all your drain pipes are tight under your sinks.good luck

Greengas

I think Heartland build a good solid unit-is it perfect? No. All rv's have some problems-that is nature of the product. BTW- check to make sure all your drain pipes are tight under your sinks.good luck

All rvs will continue to have some problems as long as we, the consumer, allow it. It is the nature of the product because we allow it to be. I understand that moving a house down the road is rough on things like plumbing. But how many of the problems are due to bad quality control (industry wide)? Come on, I understand how the pipe under your sink might need to be tightened every now and then but that does not apply top ex pipe crimps. We as consumers need to stand up to the rv industry and demand that they do a better job of quality control before a coach leaves their facility.

BuckO

mrmorris, This would probably not apply to your situation because youare full timing, but I wanted to pass it along in case it may help others. Ialso have had a few leaks, not many, but even a few is too many. I just found out that I may have been causingthe leaks myself. I was working in the basement of my fifth wheel while it wasbeing stored in my back yard. I bumped one of the clear reinforced hoses and itstarted dripping. The unit had not been used in over a month, so I was quitesurprised that I had a significant amount of pressure in the water system. Notsure how high it was, but enough to cause a line to leak easily. I have been RVing for 10+ years and have neverrealized I was trapping water in the system and possibly causing high pressure dueto thermal expansion of the water. Ihave never seen it in a manual to leave a faucet open when the unit is notbeing used, but it is now on my checklist. I went around all of my connectionsand found that some of the clamps had loosened on the fittings, especially onthe reinforced hoses.
Food for thought
Buck

aatauses

We are also full timers and for the first year I called our BH the 'leaky teaky" as it seemed each week we had a new leak. We pulled into an rv park and had been staying for over a week in one location and a hose just started leaking?? Anyway, after a while I got most of them fixed and we seldom have leaks now--just continue to work on each as it occurs and fix it properly.
al
currently in NV

priorguy

I always bleed off the pressure when I shut the water off after a weekend at the "wheel-estate." It's been enough so far, as I leave the A/C off as a courtesy to the park so it could get pretty hot. Maybe I should leave a tap cracked open too like you said BuckO.

BPK9

We also have had water leaks. They were all at the crimps. I replaced them with compression fittings. I also had a leaking water pump and a bad bathroom sink faucet that leaked. I use a water pressure regulator and I relieve the pressure after every use. After a year and a half I hope all my leaks are done. We do enjoy our Grand Canyon.

Theresau

like (Again)

All rvs will continue to have some problems as long as we, the consumer, allow it. It is the nature of the product because we allow it to be. I understand that moving a house down the road is rough on things like plumbing. But how many of the problems are due to bad quality control (industry wide)? Come on, I understand how the pipe under your sink might need to be tightened every now and then but that does not apply top ex pipe crimps. We as consumers need to stand up to the rv industry and demand that they do a better job of quality control before a coach leaves their facility.

dave10a

I completely redone the basement plumbing with the modern shrink PEX stuff. Heartland cut too many corners with plastic PEX elbows and crimps-not to mention plain sloppy routing of wiring and plumbing. After redoing and rerouting the plumbing and some wiring and heating to gain more basement space, I was able to add two more batteries and solar equipment with inside water filtration and softener/conditioner Hughes power former. Heartland does what many other mfgs do --- lots of effort on glitz and little on the refinements.

priorguy

I completely redone the basement plumbing with the modern shrink PEX stuff. Heartland cut too many corners with plastic PEX elbows and crimps-not to mention plain sloppy routing of wiring and plumbing. After redoing and rerouting the plumbing and some wiring and heating to gain more basement space, I was able to add two more batteries and solar equipment with inside water filtration and softener/conditioner Hughes power former. Heartland does what many other mfgs do --- lots of effort on glitz and little on the refinements.

Glitzy features always sell better then a solid foundation no matter what your selling. But longevity and durability is what will keep someone coming back or driving them away the next time they make a purchasing decision. Hope this does capture the proper attention too.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
On an opposite note, I've had none in 3 years on my Landmark. Maybe mine was built on Wednesday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mrsfish

Sorry- but count us in the 'no problems' category. We just took our 6 month old bighorn in for some upgrades. The only warranty work is a 2 inch rip in the carpet. And for those of you who are thinking we haven't used our rig as much as others - we have 4000 miles on the rig, are in it every weekend and we both work full time. Yes, we have tightened pipes, yes we have uncrimped a gas line, yes we chose to replace tires. But I did that on our previous rig too. I am very happy with our rig and consider ourselves both fortunate and lucky not to have any bigger issues. My glass is half full.