About to pull the trigger on a '08 3400RE Bighorn

wingfoot

I'm totally unfamiliar with Heartland products..My concerns are the Lipper frame problems and whether I can pull/stop the trailer with my '05 Ford SD Ext. Cab PSD..according to what I read on Ford's specs. I can handle up to 23K combined load and 16,500# Fifth wheel towing capacity..This trailer has a 11,700# dry. The previous owner added a 5KW Onion generator and another BR RAC. So, aside from the obvious, what the disadvantages of pulling a trailer this long? I have been pulling a Holiday Rambler 30sks...pull like a dream...and this is, thought a 34' but I've seen other evidence that is closer to 36'..????:confused:

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

James

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi James, welcome to the forum. There is plenty of information on this great forum. Just ask away or use the search function.
We had a 2008 3400 RL and you are right, 36 feet+. It was a great rig.
Have fun with your new 3400RE. You will have no problems towing it.

Peace
Dave

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
We still have a 3400RL and yes it is 36foot plus. We bought our Bighorn in 2005 and still love this floor plan. I have not had any problems with the fram on this unit. We found this coach pulls much easier than our past 32foot coach did. Have fun with this coach and enjoy camping.

grizzlygiant

We had good luck with our BH 3400 which we pulled with our Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel. Towed well but hard to park in tight spaces.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We pull a 39' Bighorn, it's an '08 3600 RL floorplan...we've not had any issues with the frame, other than a rear hanger that just recently tore off. Think that came from 4 years of fulltiming, backing in and out of sites every week, and putting 60,000 miles on it...

We too used to pull a 35' HR...This Bighorn tows MUCH better! As for towing weights, you should have no problem with the 3400RE, I'm pretty sure it's GVWR is 14,000#...your truck should do just fine! Go for it...we love ours!!

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Wingfoot, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. When I first ordered our Bighorn, I was a bet concerned as well. Going from a 29 ft Jayco to our 3400RL. To top it off, we were actually "moving in" and going full time. The first time pulling our new rig really surprised me. Other than the added weight, it pulled better than the Jayco. Maybe because of the balance and cap design. Once I got used to the added length everything was good. Still is!

wingfoot

Thanks for all the responses.....Looks like I've found a new home...look forward to my becoming a member of your family!