About to purchase a 2013 North Trail 24RBS

Anyone with this unit what are you thoughts. I am trading a 2013 Shamrock 21dk that I bought in August for this. We didn't like the tent ends and that it was hard to sleep in overnight at truck stops. I am getting a pretty good deal on the unit.

How secure are bikes strapped o the rear bumper carrier?

Any considerations I should look for?

TYIA

danemayer

Hi winger53215,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here and I'm sure you'll get some responses shortly.

pegmikef

How secure are bikes strapped o the rear bumper carrier?

TYIA

I don't know about bikes, but I carried two Honda Generator and a untility box on the pull out carrier on my NT just fine. I did, however, cable and lock them. If you are not talking about a pull out carrier, but a bumper mounted bike rack, then I don't know.

Saildogs

We are very pleased with our NT 24RBS. The layout is great with plenty of storage and the rear closet holds quite a bit. The pull out bike carrier has worked well for holding bikes.

We have traveled with it from Maryland to Down East Maine, to northwestern PA, to eastern and western NC, and to eastern SC. The unit has been great.

Enjoy your new TT!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: About to purchase a 2013 North Trail 24RBS . . .

Enjoy your new RV!

We have a 2013 Trail Runner (sister to the North Trail line) with the rear pull-out bumper.

The bumper is great . . . but is not without issues.

First off . . . I believe that it can only hold up to 250 pounds (and don't forget to include the weight of the spare tire, which is mounted to the rear bumper)!

The day we picked up our trailer at the dealership there was a Heartland 5th-wheeler parked next to it with that rear bumper laying on the ground under the back end . . .

The guy that was doing our PDI told us that the owners of that trailer had too much weight on it and it broke off while they were on the highway!

Apparently they also lost their generator as that was what they had on it . . .

On our first outing with our new trailer, the weight of our two mountain bikes not only deformed the plastic tray (due to the heat of the hot sun), but also popped loose the only four screws that holds that tray down.

The tray reformed itself after taking the bikes off and leaving the tray in the hot sun, but I advise you to remove the mounting screws from the bumper and not only replace them with better screws, but drill more holes and really anchor that tray down good to the bumper!

I used those self-tapping screws with the built-on rubber washers instead of the drywall-like screws that came from the factory.

Also, drill a few small holes in key places to allow for drainage as that tray fills up with water easily.

I also now store the bike post in the cubby hole as it was starting to rust when I left it where it is supposed to be stored under the spare tire, which is also mounted to the rear bumper.

One thing I wish would have been done at the factory was to have drilled another set of holes in the slide-out braces of the rear bumper so that it could be used at a half-way out position as well as all the way out as once the two bikes are placed and locked down, it could easily be slid halfway back so that the bumper doesn't stick out so far while traveling.

Buy a bunch of 18-inch bungie cords (not the black rubber ones) and use those to strap down the bikes in as many places as it takes to make you feel safe (I use about 12 of them to hold both bikes - I bungie the tires down and also the center/seat posts to the upright), and then I bought a very tough cable lock to make sure that nobody can steal them easily by wrapping it around both bikes, and then through the spare tire mount.

By the by . . . I also bought a three pack of cable locks to lock down both batteries and the gas tanks!

One last thing about carrying bikes on that rear bumper rack . . . try to avoid dirt roads with bikes back there as they will get extremely dirty!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpgCamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

I have some pictures of the screws . . . I'll find them and post them later!

GO BRONCOS!

I was told not to attach a bike rack to the back of my shamrock. I had purchased a trailer hitch adaptor but never used it because of the warnings. With the way this bumper seems to be attached can I now use the trailer hitch adaptor and by bike rack"

pegmikef

Re: About to purchase a 2013 North Trail 24RBS . . .

Enjoy your new RV!

First off . . . I believe that it can only hold up to 250 pounds (and don't forget to include the weight of the spare tire, which is mounted to the rear bumper)!

Actually, if yours is like my old North Trail's, the weight limit is 200 pounds. Mine had a label on one of the rails. My Hondas weigh 55 pounds and my utility box another sixty pounds, but my spare was under the tongue. I never had any issues with the weight.

priorguy

My spare is under the tongue you and there is plenty of room. I use ratchet straps and python motorcycle cable lock. Just remember the trailer is close to 3' longer when the bumper is pulled out so certain inclined will be harder to negotiate.

Seahawks surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to purchase tomorrow. Two more questions.

1) On my shamrock I have the power vents both in the living area and bathroom. This only has power vent in the bathroom.

2) Should I get the slide awning?

TYIA

dl_camps

We have never used the bike rack but are very happy with our North Trail 21FBS. The only thing we did do I remove the tire from under the tongue and we just carry it in the back of our pick up. Other than that it's a great camper & easy to pull.

Well it made it home in a snow storm. Pulled very well. Only one problem,,,,got it back to storage and the front compartment will lock but you can pull the compartment open. Snowing to hard to see what's wrong.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Might be a bolt needs to be tightened on the backside that holds the latchbar that turns to hold the door closed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like there is a very big gap from the bottom of the door to where the latch should connect. I just wish my dealership wasnt an hour away.....lol