AC inside temp wrong

travlingman

Our bedroom AC isn't cooling right. It has worked for the last 5 days fine, but about an hour ago I noticed it was getting warm in bedroom. Checked thermostat and it says the inside temp is 32 degrees. It isn't. I have thermostat set at 71 degrees. I can get the unit to run on fan but not cooling. Any ideas?

jbeletti

I suggest you do a thermostat reset. What that process is, is a function of which thermostat you have.

travlingman

MIne is a Dometic thermostat. I turned it off and it shows an inside temp of 77 degrees. Turn back on and it shows 32 again. How do you do the reset?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Your AC could be "froze up". If you turn it off you will hear the ice cracking. If so, let it thaw out and when you do turn it back on you should run your fan on high to keep it from happening again.
Good luck,
Mark

travlingman

It is a Comfort Control 2 thermostat. Turned off and haven't heard anything. How else to check if frozen up?

jbeletti

Did the reset, no change. Still shows 32 degrees. Turn off system and shows 79 degrees.

Assuming your lower level thermostat is the same, remove it and install it in the bedroom. Reset it and see what it does. This will help you determine if it's a thermostat issue of AC/AC control board issue.

travlingman

Went on roof and pulled cover, nothing jumped out as the problem. Of course, don't know what I was looking for. Might try the therostat switch, but it is above 90 now and I think wife would kill me if I turned the working AC off right now. Running one in bedroom on low fan trying to get some air right now.

Lou_and_Bette

First, never run A/C on low fan, use Auto or High fan speed, especially in high humidity situations because low speed will cause unit to freeze up. Pull inside cover to look at condenser fins, if you see ice... frozen up. Turn off and let thaw then follow fan speeds noted above. Not sure if your unit has a freeze sensor but, if it does, may be possible it has become dislodged which will lead to freezing up. Hopefully someone who has a similar unit will provide guidance regarding freeze sensor.

travlingman

After setting for about 2 hours inside temp started showing correct reading. Ran fan on low for last 15 minutes before it started working.

There is no inside cover to pull as my unit is enclosed in the roof.

Wondering if it was froze up. Have it on auto fan right now as I always run it on that. Should I put it on another setting, high, med, or low, or let it go on auto?

Thanks for the help, wifey not happy about hot bedroom with 90's expected the next 3 days we are here. Will let you know if any more trouble.

Divotf15

I know this is an old thread, but adding this for future readers. I have seen this 5 times with mine and other peoples. EVERY time we found that after taking the foam top off of the outside unit, inside the plenum the wiring bundle was sitting in water. Sometimes this was condensation and sometimes it was storm water after a gully washer thunderstorm. Regardless, there is a connector for the thermostat wire. It looks like a cat 5 or telephone wire connector and it was wet. Disconnect, blow it dry, put back together, bundle the birds nest o wire and tie wrap it off the bottom of plenum, and it reads and works normally. This has worked every time I have seen this.