AC not working - 2014 Elkridge E30

Few years ago my dad purchased new 2014 Elkridge E30. Everything was fine until last spring. In the spring he took out he camper from storage and got a seasonal site. Shortly after he discovered that his AC doesn't work.
  • When we set the thermostat to AC cool, we can hear it kick in but the air does not blow cool
  • I went on the roof, took off the AC cover and I didn't see any leaks or gummed up residue

Camper is located hours away from nearest dealer with deck around it and now on established site... Owned by seniors so we want to get this fixed for this summer heat. Ideally I'd like to fix it without having to move the camper.

Could this be a thermostat issue? Could 12v panel issues cause this? Broken AC? Where/how do I start troubleshooting?

Thanks for all help in advance.

carl.swoyer

I have gone through 5 brisk air 15k btu ac . I purchased the extended warranty. Yours might have some warranty left. My landmark fifth wheel i purchased new in 2012. When these unit s quit they quit. The only thing I might try is your communications cord check for any corrosion ( green ) in the connection at both ends.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Garypowell

You might find a mobile tech. Check where he is parked and they will know someone. If you are handy you can replace it yourself.

When he used it the previous season it worked fine. Then he parked it for winter storage, drove it and set-up in new destination and now the AC doesn't work :(

Is there a way to confirm that the AC is broken?

I didn't try that since the unit was disconnected over the winter. We also unplugged it from the power supply during our investigation.

While on the roof, I noticed that a cylinder shaped black part (under the AC plastic cover) was very hot to touch with bare hand.

carl.swoyer

Try tapping that with a rubber mallet. It works on my norcold frig

I have a 2014 Elkridge 37 Ultimate purchased new in 2014. The first season we had no AC problems. Last year the main AC unit would not cool the trailer. I tried everything I could do myself from a new thermostat to making sure the cold air was not getting back into the return and causing a freeze up. After 2 trips to Camping World, Dometic replaced the unit under warranty. Loss of coolant was the issue. They provide a 2 year warranty.

Dometic has previously issued a bulletin advising that some AC units manufactured from 2013-March 2015 had issues. Below is a copy of the bulletin and here is the link: http://share.dometic.com/previewCampaign.aspx?c=96463&a=108798&ea=service@wildwillyrvs.com&cid=99

Dear Valued Dometic RV Dealers,

At Dometic, we continually strive to provide you with the industry’s leading products and services and we are extremely proud of our more than 80-year history serving those enjoying a mobile lifestyle. We feel that direct communication is essential in maintaining your trust established over all these years, and thus wish to take a moment to bring you up to speed on a specific issue related to our Brisk Air II line of RV Air Conditioners.

Over the past few months, we have been working with select dealers to properly identify and diagnose a durability concern related to the evaporator coils in our Brisk Air II Air Conditioner line. This condition is not apparent on all but a select volume of the units produced since 2013 and has been covered under our warranty terms; however, the incident rate does exceed the durability and quality standards we maintain internally as well as the quality standard you have come to expect from us. As such, we would like to take a moment to clarify what the issue entails and just as importantly detail what we have done to ensure the root cause has been addressed:
Condition – Root Cause

• On 3-5% of units produced with manufacture dates between 2013 and March 25[SUP]th[/SUP], 2015, we have discovered the supplier of evaporator coils for our Brisk Air II units had an intermittent process issue that yielded the potential for premature corrosion which could create a leak in the evaporator coil which would directly affect the cooling performance of the unit.
    • For the balance of the units produced during this time (95%+), the evaporator coils were manufactured properly utilizing that specified corrosion inhibiting process and thus are not subject to the issue.
    • This manufacturing process issue has been remedied for all units produced after March 25[SUP]th[/SUP], 2015.
Population Affected ​

• Potential for condition on 3-5% of all Brisk Air II Units produced between 2013 and March 25th, 2015.
Population NOT Affected ​

• 95%+ of all Brisk Air II Units produced between 2013 and March 25[SUP]th[/SUP], 2015.
  • Brisk Air II Units produced after March 25[SUP]th[/SUP], 2015.
  • All other Dometic/Atwood lines of Air Conditioners including Penguin, HP, Coolcat, and Aircommand.
As always, we stand behind our products and have both our Field Sales Team and our Customer Service Team available to address any questions you may have regarding this condition. Further, we announced in late July that effective August 1st, Dometic is extending the warranty flat rate from1.0 hours to 1.5 hours on the replacement of RV Air Conditioners so as to better meet your needs.
We wish thank you for your continued support of Dometic, and in particular for your patience as we thoroughly investigated this issue. We look forward to serving your needs going forward!
Best Regards,

Dometic Customer Service Team

justafordguy

I am on my 4th Dometic A/C unit on my less than 1 year old Gateway. Dometic has a real problem with reliability.

carl.swoyer

Thank goodness we purchased extended warranty from cornerstone. I paid 1700 and they have been fantastic. The payment for all covered repair is over 8000.00 dollars.

carl.swoyer

66d4173db4e6eaefb3ef8bb9c7cc762e.jpg

carl.swoyer

Just getting use to how all things work on Tapatalk. So I thought I'd sport my rig

Just in case I have another unit bite the dust, is there a different brand to replace Dometic with that might be better? Maybe a different Dometic model? Are all the connections pretty standard throughout the industry?

Dang, that's very poor reliability on those AC units. I wonder if it's possible to hook up one of those portable AC units to the existing trailer ducting? That might be much cheaper in the long run if the Dometic's keep dying like this.