Ac thermostat was not working.

gdawgs24

So just wanted to let everyone know of a little issue I ran across on my 1st trip out in my 2017 bighorn 3970RD. In my 5er we have 2 thermostats one for living area and one for bedroom. While I was at work the wife sent a picture of the thermostat in the bedroom was off and would not come back on and of course it was like 9 million degrees in the Georgia. So when I got home from work I started trying to find the issue. I actually have the Dometic ac unit that u have to access everything from the roof. After about 30 mins of trouble shooting I found that the thing that looks like a phone jack was all corroded. This is the the cable that runs from thermostat up to the ac unit goes into the phone jack on onside then comes out on other side with cable that runs to mother board of your ac unit. Luckily I had a spare one up inside the unit that was for incase u had different zones plugged into that unit. I hope this helps someone out in the future. I tried posting a picture of it but it wouldn't upload.

rxbristol

Good find. I would check for any type of water leak if the connection was corroded. In another RV, I had a light that would not come on and found corroded wires--I traced the problem to a small hole in the roof.

gdawgs24

it was actually under the insulated cover that was under the ac shroud. not even sure how water would get in there. but I am getting some to have as a backup

NHCelt

Water would get in there by leaking past the gaskets or the ac freezing up. Both were issues on my 2016 Bighorn mfg. 2/16.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I just installed one of the "insulated" Dometic AC units.

For those wondering, there are pictures of where the control box is mounted and how the insulation covers it. The RJ-11 phone jack is on the rear side of the control box in the 4th picture
On older units the control box was mounted inside the trailer, just above the discharge trim panel.

BTW, the Dometic t-stat has a reset feature that you are supposed to utilize after any issues or wiring changes.