Adding a second A.C. Unit to my Sundance

Stinger381

Ok so I found a 13.5k Dometic Brisk Air II unit on Craig's list that was being removed from a fairly new SOB travel trailer that had been involved in a wreck. The unit was reasonably priced ($150) so I bought it to add to my Sundance 3300rlb. I figured it would work out nice for the summers here in Alabama. I ordered the inside duct unit online and went to place the Brisk Air II on the 5vr yesterday. I took out the old vent which I saved because it was nearly new. I cleaned off all of the old caulking. I hauled the AC to the roof with the help of my son and two extension ladders. We tied some rope around the AC to act as handles and we just walked it up the ladders to the roof top. We set it down on some cardboard and move ourselves on to the roof. We then placed it over the old vent hole. Once we got it centered with the gasket evenly centered over the hole, we went inside to attached the duct unit and wiring.

I turned the second AC breaker off in the fuse box (1st mistake) I felt around in the roof insulation for the Romex wiring that I knew was there some where. I found a thermostat wire. Interestin, as I was not expecting to find that up there. If I had ordered the inside duct unit withe the external thermostat controls could I have used it with my Main Carrier Unit in the living room and shared the thermostat? I don't know might should have checked more before I ordered the ductless inside unit.

I found the Romex 110 wire attached to a strange looking box that resembled an outlet with no plugs in the insulation. The wire was a little short and was going to be a tight fit to reach the controls. I went to cut the box off the wire with my electricians pliers and sparks flew. The wire was still hot. How can that be? I didn't get shocked or anything but I burned a nice notch in my pliers. I now got my meter and had my son trip individual breakers until the power was gone. I found that Heartland misidentified the 2nd AC breaker with the Microwave breaker. Nice job Heartland but I am the real idiot for trusting someone else's work and not double checking to see if the wire was hot.

I got the unit connected and went to secure the AC to the roof with the long bolts only to find the bolts were about a 1/4 inch too short. They are 7 inches long with metric threads. I absolutely knew there was no way to find longer bolts here in Alabama so i used a couple of smaller diameter threaded rods on opposite corners and drew the unit down enough to place the original bolts into the unit. I then removed the threaded rods and placed the original bolts in those holes and the unit was secured. I added the plastic covering and installed the knobs and turned the unit on. Nice cold air is now blowing in the bedroom.

Morale of the story... Don't trust anyone's electrical wiring. Not even your own. Always check the wires with a meter first and make sure the power is off before attempting any electrical work.

My my roof was 5 1/2 inches thick and if it had been any thicker I would not have been able to attach it with the supplied bolts from Dometic.

All in all, it is a job you can do yourself if you have simple wiring skills and the muscle to get the AC on the roof.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 60

Grey Ghost

Nice job! I have been thinking about adding a second unit to our rig also. We have a 2011 Heartland GreyStone 29' MK and just love it. I think it is similar to yours. It says it is pre-wired for an A/C unit in the bedroom and should make it lots easier. I spoke with the dealer down here and he quoted me a price for the A/C unit with $39.00 install fee, which I didn't think was to bad either. Have you used your new A/C yet and does it keep the bedroom nice and cool? We live in Arizona where it is supposed to hit 108 today so we do know about heat. Would love to know if it works and have you had any problems blowing circuit breakers or anything else? Thanks in advance for your update!

HornedToad

My my roof was 5 1/2 inches thick and if it had been any thicker I would not have been able to attach it with the supplied bolts from Dometic.

If it was hard to bring the upper unit and ceiling assembly together you may want to check the down draft vent between the two, if there is a gap you can seal it with duct tape to prevent cold air from leaking into the return side.

Stinger381

Thanks Mike I will check that. It was tough getting the units to bolt together.

Larry, the unit does cool down the front bedroom nicely. My 5vr is about 37 feet long, I think, and the stock carrier unit just can't get the camper below 80 in the peak of summer. I ran the unit yesterday just for a trial run and it nearly ran me out of the bedroom while I was napping on the bed. The fan blows constantly and so it's louder in the bedroom but for me that's not a problem. The compressor cuts on and off but you can't tell it unless you really listen for it.

If your Greystone has 50 amp service I would bet it is prewired for the extra A.C. Just don't trust the breaker box labels. LOL. Check and see if you have a breaker labeled 2nd AC and I bet it's prewired if that is present.