Adding Big Horn 2nd A/C

ihsolutions

Hi all,

We were originally going to sell our 2011 BH this year and get something different, but I think we're going to wait another year or two until we see something that really jumps out at us, floorplan-wise, before making the switch.

In the mean time, we suffered through a lot of heat last summer and I don't care to do that again without a second A/C unit.

I called Heartland customer service and they put together the following quote for me:

Pn 55594 Dometic Penguin 13.5k BTW Low Profile A/C unit: $1,263.15
Pn 12446 "Relay" (whatever that is): $114.00
Pn 11968 "Box" (I assume this is the inside part of the unit: $115.05

Total: $1,492.20

These prices are before the HOG members 10% discount, but also before shipping, so I figure that will be a wash.

Has anyone added a second A/C after purchasing their unit? If so, which unit did you get? Is 13.5k BTU really necessary? I want to create a "meat locker" environment in the bedroom, and really want a unit that doesn't freeze up a lot. $1500 seems way expensive for a second unit. My RV is supposed to be prepped for second A/C, so I thought all I needed was the actual unit? I currently have a fantastic fan with wall thermostat in the bedroom.

Any help here is appreciated. I see I can buy A/C units on other sites for about half the price, but don't want to make a mistake and order the wrong thing. Is there any reason it's so expensive from Heartland, and, do I need this "relay"?

wdk450

If I were you I would check with Camping World, and any other RV Service suppliers I could think of. If you can find a good independent RV servicer (no sales lot) see what they will bid. You might want to check RVServiceReviews.com for some names.

Good luck!

ParkIt

If I were you I would check with Camping World, and any other RV Service suppliers I could think of. If you can find a good independent RV servicer (no sales lot) see what they will bid. You might want to check RVServiceReviews.com for some names.

Good luck!
Thanks for the link.
Since we have to have the cap repaired I figure its a good time to put a smaller unit in the bedroom but don't need frost on the bedspread. Wasn't sure where to look, local sales companies have a huge mark up here.

ooops, thought this was for AC units, checked RVServiceReviews and checked with Heart Land on a location close to us. Turns out they not only have good reviews online but Heart Land recommended them as well.

Last edited:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Take a look at www.rvupgrades.com
I got an e-mail from them today and they are having a sale on .... Advent 13.5K btu A/C for $449.00.
I believe the bedroom is prepped for a second A/C and I think I read where it would fit right in and bolt on where you have the fantastic fan. The people at RV Upgrades are pretty sharp and probably could walk you through all your questions. If you are handy, it might be a DIY project or at least an easy job for an RV Service guy.

ihsolutions

Sorry, I didn't clarify. I'm intending to do the install myself. I'm young and handy and the sub-100lb weight of the unit shouldn't pose a problem for myself, and maybe my brother if needed.

The quote from Heartland was just the parts.

Westwind

Careful! I have a Dometic Penquin 13500 in our bedroom, cool it does, quietly it does not. When I have the fan on hi-cool it sounds like we have a freight train running in the bedroom. There is no way we could sleep in the bedroom with it going and we are sound sleepers. I think Advent was one that talked "Quiet" so I would check into them. You might be able to get what you want at less $$ and quiet also. I think that price was sort of steep.

Westwind

"Forgot" you should be able to add a wall thermostat rather then the controls on the unit, my wife finds the controls very hard to regulate in hard to turn the knobs. It would be a lot of easier if it was a wall mounted thermostat to work with. Supposedly the wiring is already in place the the AC and a wall thermostat and I'm sure you know Heartland should be able to tell you where it's located.

ihsolutions

I already have a wall thermostat, to control the fantastic fan in the bedroom (which I ordered as an option at the time of build). I don't see any reason why I couldn't use that when I put in the A/C??

Rickhansen

The Fantastic Fan thermostat is likely only 2 wires. The Thermostat and interface box that the factory quoted is probably 4 or 5 conductors with an RJ type plug on each end. I replaced ours with regular thermostat cable and a Hunter Programmable thermostat. You might be able to use the Fantastic Fan T-stat cable as pull string, or it may have the additional conductors there. It's worth investigating.

Like mentioned earlier, the prices you've received seem high. I'd check with with some other sources.