Adding more insulation

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We do most of our camping during the cooler months and I am slowly working my way around the trailer and addressing all the cold spots and adding insulation and stopping drafts.

Due to another a separate reason i had to drop the front bulkhead (by the pin box and front storage area). I was surprised ( well, not really) to find out there is no floor insulation in this area. No wonder my feet are so cold. :rolleyes:
IMAG0137.jpgIMAG0134.jpg

For a cost of less than $10 I bought a piece of closed cell 1" insulation sheathing. As you can see it is equivalent to an R5
IMAG0142.jpg

I cut the sheet to fit in between the floor joists. A few strips of foil backed tape holds everything in place. (not shown)
IMAG0143.jpg

I still have to do the bottom of the floor in the front storage area. The wall separating the front storage area and the basement was done last year along with a few other areas.

Having the bulkhead down also makes it very easy to run a few extra wires for future use.

Hopefully my feet wont be cold anymore. :)
For anyone else who camps in colder weather, this is a very easy mod that you will definitely get your money back on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
"Due to another a separate reason i had to drop the front bulkhead (by the pin box and front storage area)"

What was the reason, if I can ask? These pics are very enlightening! How hard was it to remove the bulkhead? How long did it take? Did you reinstall everything yet? Did it go back together like it was before?

E

SouthernNights

The bulk head came down in 15 minutes. Very easy with a screw gun or drill will a bit. It would have been nice if the factory used square drive screws instead of phillips-aluminum screws round out to easily with phillips heads on them.
I haven't had a chance to finish everything yet but will this weekend. As far as going back together like it was before-it better. LOL Just a lot of caulking needs to be done once it is reinstalled.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larry I did the samething 2 years ago. I used the 2" foam insulation but doubled it up on the plywood flooring and installed the 1" with it. Send me a PM with your PH# and I will tell you how the get "radiant" floor heating.

SouthernNights

Bob, they must use heavier floor joists on the Big Horn if you used 2" sheathing. The floor joists on the my BC are only 1" and the skin fits tight up against the bottom of the joists.
As far as radiant heat, I am going to put it in the slide floors if I keep the trailer. Dont really need it in the bedroom.

Unfortunately one of the two original problems that caused me to drop the skin I am going to have to live with. The skin is backed with corrugated luan. I have had wrinkles in the skin since new. It appears that there was water intrusion from under the molding under the front storage door. It had never been caulked from the factory and I never thought about checking for caulking up under the trailer. My bad.

So , the luan has pretty much disintegrated. Maybe some day I will make it to Elkhart and get a new skin put on.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Larry,

Is there any way to "scrap" off the old disintergrated luan and put a new strip of luan in that area?

SouthernNights

Actually there is Gus and that is a good idea but I need to find corrugated luan locally. We use bendable plywood on a regular basis but I think that is too thick and and it is not waterproof or even water resistant. Of course, neither was the luan that was used.

SouthernNights

The more I think about it and the deeper I take a breath I think I can smell a faint hint of of Landmark/Bighorn. Not really sure but...

SouthernNights

"Due to another a separate reason i had to drop the front bulkhead (by the pin box and front storage area)"

What was the reason, if I can ask? These pics are very enlightening! How hard was it to remove the bulkhead? How long did it take? Did you reinstall everything yet? Did it go back together like it was before?

E

Well, I finally got the bulkhead back up. Coming down is easy-going back up, not so much. Probably have close to 4 or 5 hours in it just putting back in. I will say it doesn't have as many wrinkles in it but they are still there due to the luan disintegrating. If I am ever at the factory I will have them put a new one on. In the mean time I hope it is sealed up well now.

Lesson learned-Even if the caulk looks ok, reseal it and seal it even if it wasn't sealed to start with.

IMAG0145.jpgIMAG0147.jpg

Last edited: