Advice for a generator for Mallard M27 Travel Tralier

lelier

Good Afternoon y'all!

We are fairly new, nah, we ARE new to this world! Mark (hubby) works with (larger) generators that are on standby at the base of the cell phone towers, along with all the other communication equipment in those little buildings so we can talk on our cell phones...;) anyway, I digress! While he knows a good bit about generators, we don't want overkill on our trailer, but we want to have one that is large enough also.

So far we have always stayed at parks of one type or another. We know we are going to want to do more than that sooner than later, plus if we want to stop overnight (wally world?) on our way across the country and get going early the next morning it would be nice to have electricity!

That is why we would like to get some advice from those who have much more experience as to what types, sizes, etc, etc, etc. we could use with our trailer.

The basics are we have one A/C.... and it's a 30 amp trailer.

We would use the generator to run A/C if needed. To use microwave and coffeepot... I will sew if Mark is out at a competition, but a sewing machine won't draw much.

So... what can you tell us!????

Thanks y'all!:D

Last edited:

esscobra

depends on how much you want to run off generator and how long you want it to run w/o filling up and if your going to mount it or want something very portable

MountainDon

We just bought a 2200 watt portable generator and while there are many that are half the price online we went with the Honda EU2200i, for $1000 locally.

The $450-650 versions online (Wen, Champion, Westinghouse, etc ) all had some issues with quality control and customer support.

Our number one concern was reliable, then quiet, then portability. This one will charge our batteries and run basic 110 v stuff, but will not run our AC. We camp mostly in the mountains, so this is less of an issue for us. In the future I intend to by the companion gen ( They are made to be connected together for a 4400/3600 watt output, which should run our AC )

If portability and noise were not at the top of our list, Champion had a larger unit I might have chosen, but in a campground not much is more important than Quiet

Don

RossRagan

I found a nice deal on craigslist for a year old Honda EU3000is that I jumped on so I could run my AC, if needed; but afterwards I wished I had gone with the EU2000is "Companion" along with a second EU2000is for a total of 4000W capability in parallel. The EU3000is is close to 150 lbs gassed up and takes two to load it into my truck bed. Each EU2000 is about 60lbs gassed, I believe, and would have been much more convenient and I could have run only one generator if I didn't require AC. The EU3000 is also available now in a "Handi" version and is much lighter with about the same performance but they are recent additions to the Honda line and aren't found very often at bargain used prices.

That said, the EU3000is that I purchased is a really sweet generator; both very quiet and fuel efficient.

MountainDon

They are sweet!. I really wanted to buy one of the other brands, and save a bunch of money, but they were all 12-20% 1 and 2 star reviews and the Honda was ALL 4's & 5's.

The deal sealer for me on this type is the simple fact that this one generator will do EVERYthing I need it to do short of the AC and I can add the other one to do that. I like that flexibility and it will even fit in the Basement of my North trail - if I decide to put it there.

Topped off by the fact I have local service with Honda and not really anyone else

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
One Honda 2000 will do what you are asking to do. You need the companion to do more like run the AC. The Honda's are pretty easy on fuel as well. When we are at NASCAR events, both of them need to be refueled about every 6-8 hours running full tilt with our AC on. Make sure you plan for a way to secure it as well especially if you are going to be camping at Wally World. We use a Lippert Toy Lock for our when at a race to keep them from disappearing.

lelier

Good Morning everyone and THANK YOU for all the advice! Hubby relies on me to do a lot of the research on this sort of thing and when I brought up the topic of "Inverter Generators" he looked at me as if I had lost my ever lovin mind! Just for a moment until he regained HIS ever lovin mind and remember he sleeps every night! In his world of electronics and generators, those are two separate things. That's when he did some research of his own about that topic and I continued this one.

ANYWAYS.... I'm so glad we now have an idea as to what to start looking for. Hopefully we can find a good deal or at least not make a huge mistake by purchasing the "Wrong" generator!

Thanks again!

Gaffer

Get two Hondas and the parallel kit. They will be much easier to move around than a single 3000. One will run the basics in your trailer if you don't use more than one heavy load at a time. Run them both together if you need the AC.

lelier

One more question, or or qualification to this. You are all recommending to get a inverter generator correct?

I know.. slow learner or abundantly cautious? Which is this woman? I was a Nurse, I always checked Dr's orders! Lol!

esscobra

the inverters are much safer for electronics and they will be the quiet ones- yes there are cheaper brands - but the Honda and Yamaha will be worth the dollars as they will last you w/o issues and you will get your money worth if you sell to upgrade

I have/had all the models - Honda 2k , 3000is, and eu7000 -Yamaha 4500- currently have the Honda handi3000, keep as backup for onboard onan- and try to use when w don't need a lot of power-it runs converter, fridge and 1 a/c - easy to lift into storage bay or truck by myself- and a Yamaha e3500 boost model for car trailer- runs lights, a/c battery charger, etc and will run 8-10 hrs on tank- not as heavy as Honda 3000, has wheels, and handles to lift.

if you are staying with 30a n not adding a second a/c - these will suffice - if you want to run a/c , and other things like microwave electric cooker etc get te 4500 Yamaha or the 7000k Honda- t willrun 2 a/c, converter, microwave an tvs- not have to worry about shutting things off- add a carrier to back of trailer and easy to lock it- I built my own at tilts down to side and could roll generator onto it by myself.

dave10a

Honda and Yamaha are good generators, but there others like Champion that are much less expensive. High cost does not always mean better. Search Youtube for inverter generators and you will find that there are a lot of alternatives. Harbor Frieght sells inverter generators with a different brand name and suspect they are a decent alternative as well.