Torque 373 Onan Generator fuel starvation

Bought in May of 2022. That summer we took our traveling home on a 6 week trip across the westerly states. There were several times we used the generator, dry camped for the night. The generator would run for 30 minutes and then stop. Cycled like it was running out of fuel.

Then there were times pumping gasoline out of the unit, you could hear metal rattling in the tank. The fuel flow would slow down and then speed up by running the fuel pump in reverse.

All these problems were told to the service representative when we returned home. They could not duplicate the problem.

So, checking the trailer for our Rose Parade run and the generator still shuts down after 30 minutes.

Overheating, no. infrared thermometer sticks around 190 degrees.

Oil level, watched several YouTube videos and the dip stick level of a ¼ of a inch above the fill mark.

Putting my MacGyver on, got a 5 gal gas can, spliced the fuel line just before the generator. Inserted a T and dipped the t-line into the gas can. The generator has been running for 2 hours straight.

Problem solved but now I’m out of warranty. Will our extended warranty cover replacing the fuel tank? Is there a design flaw in the size of the delivery hose to the generator?

Here are my questions, has anyone experienced fuel starvation problems with their Torque 373 using the Onan 5500 generator? Has anyone reported metal in their fuel tank?

6.7LMegaCab

There is a fuel level sensor in the tank that attaches to the top and extends down. It could be that it is loose as far as the rattling noise goes. I don't recall if there is a pick up tube that extends down from the top of the tank - if so, perhaps something came loose.

Fuel starvation could also be due to a kink in the line somewhere between the tank and generator, perhaps a crack in the hose causing it to suck air. Could even be that the fuel pump may not be as strong as it used to be and is unable to pull long draws.

What year is your toy hauler?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

Definitely shouldn't be a fuel pump issue. It could be a venting issue. Try running the generator with the fuel tank cap off.

6.7LMegaCab

I'm out of ideas. You'd have to consult with the extended warranty company to see what they will cover.

Perhaps someone else has better thoughts on this. It may be worth a call directly to Heartland (not a dealer) to see what they have to say.