Generator fuel tank draining

61Hawks

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct spot or not but here goes and maybe someone can help me. Before covid hit we left our Cyclone 300C on our lot in Washington and drove home for Christmas to Canada. I winterized the rv and added fuel stabilizer to the generator fuel tank. The fuel then was about 4 months old. Well 18 or so months later we are allowed to see our rv again after Nov. 8th when the US border is open again. I am really worried about the 1/2 tank of fuel that is now about 2 years old and want to drain it and add new fuel. I have read NWILSON's post how he drained the tank but I dont want to chance even attempting to start the genny with old fuel. I had thought about getting a syphon hose (not the mouth method) but have heard that a hose cannot fit down the filler tube. I am open to all suggestions as I can't seem to find an answer anywhere on the web. I hope this is clearer than mud and not too long.

6.7LMegaCab

Disconnect the fuel feed at the generator, connect a longer hose, and run the pump. Don't even need to start the generator.

2 years sitting, is quite a long time. Hopefully you won't have carb issues when you do start it. If it does happen, you might be able to get away with pulling the carb, cleaning it and run a single cat-5 wire (or similar size solid core wire) through every orifice. I had to do that on my last RV with an Onan 5.5 Gen and it ran great after.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

61Hawks

Disconnect the fuel feed at the generator, connect a longer hose, and run the pump. Don't even need to start the generator.

2 years sitting, is quite a long time. Hopefully you won't have carb issues when you do start it. If it does happen, you might be able to get away with pulling the carb, cleaning it and run a single cat-5 wire (or similar size solid core wire) through every orifice. I had to do that on my last RV with an Onan 5.5 Gen and it ran great after.

This may be stupid but how do I run the pump and not the generator. Thanks

6.7LMegaCab

Assuming you have an Onan generator, using the start button at the generator, pressing down "primes" the fuel system. Basically running the pump without starting the generator.

porthole

Retired
I am not going to suggest you do this, just what I would do.
Open the cap, take a sniff. Bad fuel has a distinct odor.

If I still had a gasoline gen I would add a can or 2 of Sea foam and then run the generator with a load until the tank ran dry.
I've gone as long as 3 seasons when we had a snowblower with stabilized fuel.

The Onan 5500 carb has some quirky kinks to it, specifically a pesky fuel shut off valve. You can read about it in one of my links l=below.