Advice for the "new to RVing"----

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Larry,

To be honest, while I was writing the first post, you and a few others came to mind and I was hoping that you would not feel like I was pointing my finger at you. As I mentioned at the begining of the first post, it did not refer to the failure 100 miles from nowhere.

Larry, you have handled your problem very well. You did what you had to to get your trailer repaired. I do agree with you when you state you had/have a serious safety problem. I think Bob did too. However, all we as members can do is go by what a poster may write.

You have written about breakdowns with your suspension very well. You have also tried to educate the rest of us as to what happened, how you repaired it and what the outcome has been with Lippert.

I have the utmost respect for you ( especially after our emails on another matter) and everyone else who has posted a problem, dealt with it and give the rest of us information on the result so we may avoid that problem.

I also don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. To go through what you did in Oregon with your springs and still have a good attitude counts for alot.

There is a big differnece between how you handled your problem and how it is a benefit to all those who read this forum and those who trash out HL, Lippert, Domectic and any other manufacturer. I can only surmize that those posters that feel the need to trash a manufactuter because it helps their situation and they may get special attention. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In reality, it is difficult to remove the trash from their post and really focus on the problem. It also detracts from the forum and makes me wonder if they truly understand their own problem. Or are they just taking up space with complaining because they don't know what else to write or how to accuratley describe their problem.

I do publicly apologize to you for the comment about finding something else to do. I did not intend for anyone to take offense by that statement. I was just pointing out that RVing with all its many different systems that could fail may not be for everyone.

I love to read about all the different problems and have learned alot along the way. If I can try to prevent a serious breakdown or repair by doing a little preventitive maintenance from knowledge learned here on this forum, then the forum has certainly done it's job.

But it is hard to learn anything out of post here or on any other forum where the poster trashes the company who built his or her trailer. I do believe posters have an obligation to do one of three things with their posts:

1) educate.
2) inform.
3)entertain.

If the post doesn't fall into one of these categories, what's the point?

Larry, thank you for taking the time to write a well thought out comment. I did not know about your black tank issues though. Glad you got the sewer trouts out. It really is a different form of entertainment when you get to watch your black tank contents through a clear elbow though, isn't it?

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hey Larry,

To be honest, while I was writing the first post, you and a few others came to mind and I was hoping that you would not feel like I was pointing my finger at you. As I mentioned at the begining of the first post, it did not refer to the failure 100 miles from nowhere.

Larry, you have handled your problem very well. You did what you had to to get your trailer repaired. I do agree with you when you state you had/have a serious safety problem. I think Bob did too. However, all we as members can do is go by what a poster may write.

You have written about breakdowns with your suspension very well. You have also tried to educate the rest of us as to what happened, how you repaired it and what the outcome has been with Lippert.

I have the utmost respect for you ( especially after our emails on another matter) and everyone else who has posted a problem, dealt with it and give the rest of us information on the result so we may avoid that problem.

I also don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. To go through what you did in Oregon with your springs and still have a good attitude counts for alot.

There is a big differnece between how you handled your problem and how it is a benefit to all those who read this forum and those who trash out HL, Lippert, Domectic and any other manufacturer. I can only surmize that those posters that feel the need to trash a manufactuter because it helps their situation and they may get special attention. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In reality, it is difficult to remove the trash from their post and really focus on the problem. It also detracts from the forum and makes me wonder if they truly understand their own problem. Or are they just taking up space with complaining because they don't know what else to write or how to accuratley describe their problem.

I do publicly apologize to you for the comment about finding something else to do. I did not intend for anyone to take offense by that statement. I was just pointing out that RVing with all its many different systems that could fail may not be for everyone.

I love to read about all the different problems and have learned alot along the way. If I can try to prevent a serious breakdown or repair by doing a little preventitive maintenance from knowledge learned here on this forum, then the forum has certainly done it's job.

But it is hard to learn anything out of post here or on any other forum where the poster trashes the company who built his or her trailer. I do believe posters have an obligation to do one of three things with their posts:

1) educate.
2) inform.
3)entertain.

If the post doesn't fall into one of these categories, what's the point?

Larry, thank you for taking the time to write a well thought out comment. I did not know about your black tank issues though. Glad you got the sewer trouts out. It really is a different form of entertainment when you get to watch your black tank contents through a clear elbow though, isn't it?

Hey Larry,

I think they have a cable TV channel for that now!:eek::rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And it's in "living color", too. It really is heartwarming to see that the term "sewer trout" has become part of the lexicon of this forum :D.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well stated, but I'm not so sure that the name "trout" is accurate. Most of the time "trout" swim closer to the surface. Now there are other things that swim closer to the bottom like catfish and lawyers. I'm almost sure it is the Lawyers that are plugging your tank. Thats because catfish are good eating. ME:D

SouthernNights

And it's in "living color", too. It really is heartwarming to see that the term "sewer trout" has become part of the lexicon of this forum :D.

I really like thay term since you invented it. If you do copyright it I will cease to use it and begin using the term "lawyer" as Bob has pointed out.

geeksrus

Hey Larry,

... those who trash out HL, Lippert, Domectic and any other manufacturer. I can only surmize that those posters that feel the need to trash a manufactuter because it helps their situation and they may get special attention. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I take exception to your above comments as 'you have not been in my shoes'.

I am a very strong critic of Heartland & Lippert (not Dometic BTW) and will continue to be in the future... not to grease the wheel but to let other potential buyers know that my experience with Lippert components has left me with the opinion that their products are shoddy & in fact are a danger. Furthermore, I feel the HL is doing a dis-service by continuing to install these crappy components on rigs when they have known for many years that they have a unacceptable failure rate.

Also, who gave you the right to dis others for stating their opinions.................

Eh!

bill40

"I had a 6.5L GM diesel for 9 years and it was a curse for everyone else. I respected it for what it could do and the truck loved me back. These trucks were gold mines for service centers. I did my own service an stayed away and had no problems though I towed 3000k above the GCVW."
Laurent I can't picture Geeksrus ever owning a 6.5 mine loved me because I learned how to change a lift pump. It was like owing a puppy just carry extra teats and it did a lot of work. Great post both Laurent and Larry brought back a lot of memories,always good for stories around the campfire. Especially when you are the only Chevy guy at the rally( right Jon ).

caissiel

Nice to share Bill, we both believed in what was necessary for comfort.

I did have a good Canadian made framed trailer, the best in the industry I believed. I broke a spring on it on the 1st long trip and it left me stranded on a Sunday. I took it home on 3 wheels and then changed the spring. From then I always kept a check on the springs. Tires were a curse and I changed to LT tires. The mileage on my unit is what hurts them, specialy the frost broken roads here in this part of the country.
Later I took a trip to Manitoba and realized the pin box frame at the front was bending down. I had to repair it 1000Km from any trailer repaire center. They had a recall on these pin box frame on 1996 and newer units but mine was 1995. I repaired it there in the parking lot. I found out it was at the factory they did the mistake of cutting a masive hole for a little electric wire.
Now this trailer outfit is filling for bankropsy protection.
It was the first thing I checked on the HL, the springs Tires and the Pin Box flex. And from experience chose this unit. So far its been great.
Besides I in no way see the payback on a mor-ryde system for my unit. Though they are much improved from the earlier years.

Tom of Ypsi

For those wanting to know there is such a thing as a Lawyer fish or Burbot for another name. I like sewer trout better as my daughter is a lawyer not an ambulance chaser type either.

troychris

Looks like a neat place, unfortunately it looks like to most of the people on here it's Camper # blah, truck blah with blah blah and blah, campsite #blah, other vehicle blah 3 dogs 2 cats 3 kids. Am I missing something here, or can a regular guy drive a regular truck pulling a regular camper get into rv'ing?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom, sorry, no disrespect to your daughter. I was refering to the ones we have in Washington DC.

dennis2188

Please excuse me for being a little slow but what does the last ten or so posts have to do with "Advice for the new to RVing". I thought this forum was for constructive information for Heartland products.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Please excuse me for being a little slow but what does the last ten or so posts have to do with "Advice for the new to RVing". I thought this forum was for constructive information for Heartland products.

It also includes some occasional good and sometimes not-so-good ribbings and comments - usually not personal (although some may cross the line). We kid each other a lot about the three major brands of truck and which is best (FORD). It is much better than many forums where the comments get downright nasty. I think most people here are courteous to each other, but there are exceptions occasionally. Many threads occasionally get off topic. Some due to many of us having met at rallies, some due to a sudden thought, some due to old age and forgetting what we are discussing, some due to a short attention span (see my signature block). It's mostly constructive, but there are negatives, but not nearly as many as some other forums I monitor and/or subscribe to. It's not perdect, but it's the best forum I've seen or participated in for knowledge, information, and comraderie. OK - I've rambled enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthernNights

It also includes some occasional good and sometimes not-so-good ribbings and comments - usually not personal (although some may cross the line). We kid each other a lot about the three major brands of truck and which is best (FORD). It is much better than many forums where the comments get downright nasty. I think most people here are courteous to each other, but there are exceptions occasionally. Many threads occasionally get off topic. Some due to many of us having met at rallies, some due to a sudden thought, some due to old age and forgetting what we are discussing, some due to a short attention span (see my signature block). It's mostly constructive, but there are negatives, but not nearly as many as some other forums I monitor and/or subscribe to. It's not perfdect, but it's the best forum I've seen or participated in for knowledge, information, and comraderie. OK - I've rambled enough.

Aren't you on medication for that??? :D

SouthernNights

Gus's explanation was excellent. What you really need to watch out for here is getting kicked off your site at a rally and then having to share a site with a bearded old man who insists on being called Santa.:eek:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
He is currently medicated and that's why there's a "d" in perfect.:D It's not his fault, he can't help himself!:eek: