Advice for the "new to RVing"----

caissiel

All I have to say is, this is the most active site I have been on.
We are all nice people trying our best to help others.
I find myself in a pickle sometime because I keep simple vues, and been that way all my life.

Mostly buy someone else's problems and usually do get by very well.

A used car, used trailer, used truck, its always someone else's problems.

But for me its something I like to do.

Excellent first part of thread, so true, nothing is perfect or lasts for ever without some sort of maintainence...................RW...................

caissiel

One pump salesman was telling me about a problem his company had with the Ford factory.
They had a complain about their pumps on the paint effluent system, not lasting as long as they tought it would and wanted something done about it.
The pump man told the Ford Rep. that the pumps had been running for over one year none stop 24/7 without any maintenace, and he would like to see a Ford Product do the same.
End of discussion.
I have seen pumps running years at a time with no maintenance, but they are under Ideal conditions, and checked and maintained.
Not like other Items that are exposed to vibration, rain, wind, bumpy roads, over load, and the worst of all parked for long periods.
We always had to cycle our pumps whenever there was a spare so as not to let them parked to long, and I always ran the worst equipment most of the time so the spare was available in case of failure of the other. You want to have the best equipment alone, while the repair is on the other for sure.

rick_debbie_gallant

There is a bad case of a virus or something going around this forum right now. I know all you guys and gals keep entering Dodge as THE best truck around for towing, but for some reason that bug or virus takes over and SOTB shows up in the forum instead:eek:....

Either that or y'all can't spell DODGE or else your computer keyboard is all messed up. What ever the case DODGE is the best truck around.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK Rick, and compared to what????:D Chebby rules:cool::cool: Gus, I have some good drugs. They help alot with CRS and spelling.:p Bobo:D:D

OwensMom

Lots of good points, Guys. Here is another perspective. When we bought our RV we had no real idea what we were getting into. I had researched brands so I knew about construction etc. When it came time for the walk through our salesman told us to look over the trailer and to meet him in the office. He promptly left! We had no idea what to look for. And we were lucky.
Jim is smart and handy so the odds and ends that came up he was able to deal with. I really believe that all new RV owners should have to take a class before buying sponsored by the RV manufacturers. There should be downloads on line that teach step by step how to winterize and schematics of the wiring system and plumbing system. When something goes wrong, you at least have an idea where to start.
As I said, we were lucky. We learned alot from you all here on the forum and if we ever buy another RV we will be more educated. But lets give us newbies a fair break and educate the public. Happy Trails, Lynn

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom, its good she left DC. Those people in DC are NUTS. BTW, we will be going to ND this year to visit Pats family and some in SD. DONT CHA KNOW. Bob:D

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone,
Respectfully Southern Nights started this thread to discuss the subject of advice to the New RVers, and now everyone is all over the place and so this thread loses a lot of relevance to his intended subject. I don't mean to throw sewer trout and Chebby's back at everyone, but I really would like to stick to the subject if it is possible, so I can learn as much as possible, which is why I took the time to respond to his original post, with my take on the subject.
Do you think we can get back to discussing the issues he has brought up, which I think is very important. And Larry, thanks for your unnecessary apology, as when you have certain people as RV mentors, you better have a tough skin. They want you to do everything right the first time, so no one gets hurt, and their advice is well taken. I will say we made many mistakes at the beginning from my DW standing between the rig and TV while I was backing up, (causing someone to almost tackle her to get out of the way. In her defense she was just trying to make sure I was straight on the hitch, not knowing the dangers of falling rigs), to me not being able to figure out how to hook up the water hoses correctly. Proper maintenance and complainers shouldn't fit in the same sentence, but I get his message loud and clear.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

SilverRhino

Larry;

In my opinion, we will all run into "problems" or "situation" that we do not feel that we are qualified to deal with.

Knowing that we are not qualified is important. Many times we, myself included are foolish enough to kid ourselves and think that we "can handle it on our own" or we just ignore it hoping it will go away.

The smart individual will realize when this happens, the first thing to do is seek out someone who knows what they are doing. Seeking help is not a failure, but a strength. By doing this, everyone learns and the "problem" gets solved safely which was the goal in the first place.

More people need to be willing to search out advice and answers, we would all be better off.

I know that I have learned from you by your questioning things you were unsure of, Thank you!

Randy

bigredtruck

Good posts by both Larry's and lots of other good comments as well. We have been lucky (knock on wood) that the Cyclone as had very few factory issues so far. Are there things we wish the factory had done differently? Of course. But there are things we wish our house builder had done differently too. There's a few things on the Volvo I would change too. Just as with house ownership, you need to be prepared to do the right maintenance and the right repairs. And roll with the punches as best you can.