AGM Battery

nscaler2

I am considering an AGM battery because I would like to be able to store my unit for 6 months at a time without removing it. They self discharge much more slowly than a flooded battery. The question is is the chargers they install in our 5th wheels capable of charging them correctly? Has anyone out there done this successfully?

TedS

I had AGM batteries in my 2011 Bighorn for three years with no charging problem. I'm still using those batteries in my current sob trailer.

kdubinwa

Go for it. I went with 2 AGM 100 ah batteries so I could avoid messing with water refilling and eliminate most venting and off-gassing in my front compartment. The modern converter/charger is fine for AGM's. Ideally it would have an AGM dedicated charging profile which would provide slightly higher top-off voltage than what is required for wet cell batteries. My 2016 Bighorn probably leaves my AGMs at 95-98% of full charge. No big loss.

I am considering an AGM battery because I would like to be able to store my unit for 6 months at a time without removing it. They self discharge much more slowly than a flooded battery. The question is is the chargers they install in our 5th wheels capable of charging them correctly? Has anyone out there done this successfully?

bdb2047

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

I recently changed my view on the FLA vs AGM. I now favor the AGM, and would install them if were doing another solar install.

Caution; you should not equalize AGM, you don't need to either.

FLA should only be discharged to an average of 50% per cycle, MAX. So if you have 100 ah of FLA you can only use 50 ah before you start damaging your batts. With the AGM you could go to 35 or 40% charge and not damage your batteries. So the 100 ah AGM batt has more available ah than the equivalent 100 ah FLA. The AGM also charges faster. I see no drawbacks to the AGM except the initial expense.

Brazos

Jim, I am glad you are coming over to the AGM crowd. They are good batteries and easy to deal with. Take a look at the Full River line. Recently I ran a test on my 6 6 volt AGMs and ran them down to about 59%. I charged them up with my coach converter. I moved the converter to the front bay and plug it into an external power source. I used my Honda 2000 to charge them. I shut the solar completely down so there was no other charging. The converter will charge them.
Joe