Air bags over air ride hitches

zman807

There are many and varied opinions and reports about the pin box air ride set-ups and the morride set up, and others, as well as air bags on the truck such as the firestone ride rite and others. i have done excessive research on all and have asked fellow RV folks about what they have and what they prefer. As you can imagine, some say they like or don't like the equipment they installed to correct or enhance the ride of their paticular RV, and since these systems are not inexpensive, that cost teamed with the result of the system can either make them "HAPPY HAPPY" or very disapponited.
I had the opportunity to install both systems on my set up, (2005 Dodge 3500 with a BANKS system and my '13 Heartland Road Warrior 400) at no cost for test purposes. First one I installed was Trail airpin box air ride and go on a trip, them remove that system go back to the stock pin box and then install the Firestone RIDERITE air bags and go on a trip. I know that everyone does not have this opportunity and i fell into it by luck doing some research for an RV dealer after talking to him extentsively on this subject. I did pull some other 5th wheels of varying lengths and weights with each system, and found good and bad with each,
I found for my set up, the airbags worked the best, and have since installed a on board compressor to make this system very easy to tailor to my needs. I am not saying one system is better than the other or works better than the other, nor do I endorse one over the other, just giving you my insight. A long haul truck driver that had been in the business for over 30 years did give me some sage advice. He said. . (If the air ride on a trailer pin worked so well don't you think the trucking industry would have used it! That's why they chose axle airbags!).
My point here is to ask around. find people with an RV of your weight and length and consider your pull vehicle into the equasion also. Be very aware of your options and SHOP AROUND!!!
You can find some fantastic deals on the internet. Just looking, I found a set of FIRESTONE riderite with a compressor and sontroller for a little less than $400. beats the $750 that most retail wants for this setup.
Thanks for reading. . Hope some of this insight helps in your decision

Bohemian

Airbags on the truck only make the truck more stiff when inflated. They do not reduce bounce.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I agree - seems to soften the bounce to a floating motion. We like it much better.

Bohemian

Really, how would adding resistance make it less stiff? YOou may get less bouncing up and down, but it has to be more stiff.

Jim.Allison

I have a rough as heii Ram 2500 4x4. Of course it was still new and the springs were tight. But I added AirLift bags as a load leveling device. The manufacturer of the bags said that the unloaded PSI should be maintained between 5 and 10 psi. So as a good installer and owner, i followed the instructions to the letter, I inflated them to 7.5 psi. first I was amazed at the lift that I got from the minor inflation psi. Then I went for a ride. The ride was noticeably better. IMHO this is because the airbag has relieved the springs, albeit a small amount, and and in this manner they share with the springs the imperfections in the road surface (along with the shock absorbers of course). This is not to say that it perfects the ride. it certainly does not, but it does handle, as a side effect, 90 percent of imperfections encountered. A rough road is still a rough road when the airbag is compressed and the spring is doing the work the airbag is useless as far as softening the ride. But I feel that the bulk of road conditions are being addressed by the airbags and my ride is smoother because of it.

porthole

Retired
A long haul truck driver that had been in the business for over 30 years did give me some sage advice. He said. . (If the air ride on a trailer pin worked so well don't you think the trucking industry would have used it! That's why they chose axle airbags!).

About the only practical commonality between tractor trailers and what we do is the articulation with a 2" kingpin.
OTR trucks use air bags for both ride and height control due to the 50,000+ pound weight differences from bob tailing to fully loaded trailers, most of which are also now air bag equipped.

Trucks with air bags use HCV's, height control valves attached to the frame and linked to the differential or springs to keep the ride height the same no matter the load on the saddle.

For us though, if you only could choose one or the other bags on the truck or trailer, bags on the truck offer the most bang for the buck.
Given the choice I would op for both. They both can work together to soften the ride a bit as well as height control.

If you already have an onboard air system you can add HCV's to your truck to also give you self leveling. Helpful if you tow a lot of varying loads. Good option for toy hauler types that are constantly loading the trailer differently for each trip.

MrRvGypsy

Really?? I quite strongly disagree with the OP's premise. Riding on my F350 steel overload springs was much stiffer than riding on the 40lbs of air in my airbags. Getting the trailer and truck up off the overload springs reduced the bounce and rough ride remarkably.

Steadfast

Getting the trailer and truck up off the overload springs reduced the bounce and rough ride remarkably.
Getting up off the overload springs was what worked wonders in our 2500. We have transferred the system to our new 2015 Chevy 3500 DRW. We will need less leveling help with the new truck but look forward to the improved ride.

Bohemian

Getting over the overload springs. Well, that makes sense.

However, doesn't that only help when you would have had sufficient load to be on the overload springs? Not in general.

MrRvGypsy

Getting over the overload springs. Well, that makes sense.

However, doesn't that only help when you would have had sufficient load to be on the overload springs? Not in general.

I agree, in fact I see no reason for the airbags unless you have sufficient pin weight to put you down on the overloads even momentarily, assuming you have good shock absorbers. To have just enough pin weight to compress the rear springs far enough to only contact the overloads on large bounces will produce harsh transitions between being on the overloads and off the overloads. It is really a situation decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with 2013 F450 is that the truck rode surprisingly nice empty, but I wanted to level my 4018 toy hauler so I installed airbags. Empty the ride is very much worse, but loaded I pump the airbags up to @70lbs and the ride is ok. Is it better than before the airbags? Don't know that I would say that, but I am level, and I wanted all 3 axle's brakes working equally. So I don't know that my loaded ride improved or not- but I do know that my unloaded ride is significantly worse. Since I bought the TV to tow I value the loaded ride and safety more than the unloaded ride, so I am content. But the empty ride sucks.

caissiel

I lifted off the loaded overloads with 2 additional leafs to my spring packs and smooth the ride of my F250. It rides well empty and as well loaded. Plus the stability is fantastic. Without the modification the truck rode like a buckboard loaded.
One less long ply affected stability and one less short ply affected the ride.
I was able to experiment because my truck was equipped with the 2 additional spring plies on each side.
Of course the stock plies in my opinion is not designed to be loaded for a month like mine is while we travel to our southern locations.
I feel that the added plies make the operation simple with no adjustment required if they are installed by the spring shop properly to load gradually.

aatauses

Great discussion----I currently have a Husky hitch with air bags. They work great, however I have considered adding air to my truck, BUT I think?? I read somewhere that having both air on the hitch and the truck is counterproductive (they work against each other)?? anyone have experience or knowledge of this?
al
currently in Deadwood, sd

Jim.Allison

It is a myth. I read it too, and it was debunked. I have a BD3 air hitch and airbags and my rig rides like a Cadillac.

Great discussion----I currently have a Husky hitch with air bags. They work great, however I have considered adding air to my truck, BUT I think?? I read somewhere that having both air on the hitch and the truck is counterproductive (they work against each other)?? anyone have experience or knowledge of this?
al

porthole

Retired
al

I have been using an air hitch and air suspension for 3 1/2 years. They work together, not against each other.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
al

I have the Firestone air bags on the truck and the TrailerSaver Husky TS2 hitch on the truck and both help. The airbags on the truck help to level the truck and the hitch with the air bags helps soften the ride of the trailer. No my opinion but my personal experience.

porthole

Retired
Air bags
Air bag equipped pin box
Air bag equipped hitch

air suspension

Advantage to the top three/ When your air suspension fails for the third time on the road and you have no rear suspension, it can make an intolerable truck ride at least bit more tolerable if you can keep the hitch or pin box aired up.