Air Compressor Necessary for 110 PSI Tires

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I got one of these Kobalt air compressors for Christmas:

View attachment 43521 View attachment 43520

Runs off of 12-volt or 110 . . . rated up to 120 psi . . . works really well!

I keep it under the back seat of my truck.

Now only $40 at Lowe's.

Next time I drain the water lines in the Prowler I want to see if I can use this instead of my small, but heavy Craftsman air tank/compressor that weighs 40 lbs to blow out the water lines.

Don't really need much more than about 15lbs of air pressure to blow out air lines. With that being said your tire inflation unit should be able to supply that.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't really need much more than about 15lbs of air pressure to blow out air lines. With that being said your tire inflation unit should be able to supply that.
You are correct in that you don't need much air pressure, but you do need some volume.
I don't think that compressor provides any volume storage (tank).
Might not work for blowing out the lines.

Peace
Dave

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
You are correct in that you don't need much air pressure, but you do need some volume.
I don't think that compressor provides any volume storage (tank).
Might not work for blowing out the lines.

Peace
Dave

Gotcha Cookie guess it also depends on duty cycle time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You're right about volume. Using my 3-gallon air compressor requires it to cycle on several times while blowing out the lines. The little Viair compressor does not cycle when topping off the tires, but there is no storage (other than what's in the 50 ft. of hose I have)

guyc66

I have tried quite a few 12-volt air compressors over the past 25+ years and eventually all of them failed/burned up and had me believing there was no other option than using a good 120-volt compressor with a generator when on the road. However, I just couldn't get past the added space & weight necessary to carry that configuration while traveling and didn't want to go down that path. After hearing about the VIAIR 450P on this forum awhile back I decided to save my pennies and give it a whirl and ordered it last week. It came in the mail yesterday and I acted like a kid at Christmas when I saw the box sitting on the front porch....LOL. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it definitely looks & feels extremely well made so I am crossing my fingers it lives up to its reviews online. I understand $262 is a lot of money, but considering I probably spent that much added together for the others (which ended up in a landfill) that will be money well spent (knock on wood).

Last edited:

danemayer

My Viair 450p did fine with the 110 psi Goodyear G614 tires and now it does fine with the 125 psi Goodyear G114 tires.

Capt7383

I would think your hose would supply enough volume for one or two nails

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do the tank less compressors run efficiently enough to operate a small nail gun?

They (small Viair's) don't have regulators, so whatever tool you attach will be getting 150 psi. Too high for most nailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

What are the rest of you using to inflate these 110 psi tires on your rv? Do you depend on service stations or haul along your own compressor and what size of unit is needed. Too small a unit and it could take forever to get those last 10-20 psi in those tires.

You will never find a gas station with a compressor that inflates up to 110 psi.
Thousand Trails here in Menifee, Ca. has a public use compressor with a high pressure warning sign on it - and it only goes up to 90 psi.
Tire shops and truck stops will PROBABLY have a high enough pressure compressor, but double check their work if they inflate your tires. A local tire shop inflated my 110 psi trailer tires to only 65 psi. Luckily, I caught this.

Ladiver

I have the VIAIR Dual444c. Absolutely love it. Tops off tires quickly to 110psi with no problem at all.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Tire shops and truck stops will PROBABLY have a high enough pressure compressor, but double check their work if they inflate your tires. A local tire shop inflated my 110 psi trailer tires to only 65 psi. Luckily, I caught this.

Even after an oil change I always double check not only the tire pressure, but I also make sure that the valve stem caps are tight!

They almost always only inflate (or deflate) tire pressure to 32 psi (even on a big truck) and NEVER tighten the valve stem caps.

MurrayN.

I just got my 450H from Amazon.ca today. Paid $270.00 CAN including taxes delivered. Man that thing looks like it should last forever! Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

Nbomar

I have a Smittybilt quick air compressed tank. Has around 2700lbs in it with a regulator. I usually fill it once a year for about $15 at a welding supply store. I can run an impact gun on it, re seat a bead on a tire, and air up any tire on anything I would need. I used it on my buddies 47" tall Offroad buggy last year when he blew the tire off the bead. He couldn't believe how much air was in that little tank.

mlpeloquin

I have a Smittybilt quick air compressed tank. Has around 2700lbs in it with a regulator. I usually fill it once a year for about $15 at a welding supply store. I can run an impact gun on it, re seat a bead on a tire, and air up any tire on anything I would need. I used it on my buddies 47" tall Offroad buggy last year when he blew the tire off the bead. He couldn't believe how much air was in that little tank.

I hope you have it well protected and a good regulator. 2700lbs of pressure can blow metal and rip hoses apart. Any thing higher than 800 lbs we doubble regulated the pressure to get consistent pressure and flow. You got to respect that kind of pressure. We used to bump up from 2700lbs to 5600lbs for a project. Never really felt comfortable with the hoses even though they were rated at 6000lbs.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'll tell you what . . . no matter how good any of the air compressors are that we've discussed here . . .

For $40 . . . my Kobalt from Lowe's just can't be beat!

That thing is sweet . . . I love it!

And it fits under the back seat of my truck out of site no problemo!

KobaltAirCompressor-P1010569.jpgLowesKobaltAC.jpg

Again . . . $40 bucks at Lowe's . . . weighs less than 1 pound . . . runs off of 110 or 12 volts . . . fits under the back seat of your truck in a smaller space than a roll of Bounty . . . and can top off a 120 PSI tire in less than a minute . . .

I'll let you all know how it works for blowing out the water lines in the trailer next time I dewinterize!

My other lightweight option is my 40 pound 110-volt only Sears Craftsman air compressor . . . what a PITA that thing is to use.

Not too mention that it blows the trailer's CFI everytime I plug it in to the outdoor outlet . . .

jbeletti

Cool little compressor John. Looks like a great little inflator.

Not sure how it will work to dewinterize as it doesn't look like it has a tank to build/store pressure in. I assume you have RV antifreeze in your lines? Perhaps if you pressurize your lines with the compressor and open a tap until the pressure is gone, close the tap to build pressure and repeat.... Let us know how it works out.