Air Conditioner blowing funny smell out of the vents

WillyBill

@mobilecastle,

Could you please elaborate on that cold air dump panel suggestion. Maybe even a picture or two showing what your mod was. My hot wife thanks you in advance. LOL. :cool:

WB

mobilcastle

@mobilecastle,

Could you please elaborate on that cold air dump panel suggestion. Maybe even a picture or two showing what your mod was. My hot wife thanks you in advance. LOL. :cool:

WB
This is the item to install if you have a closed ducted system. You will immediately get all the cold air right off the a/c coil when open. Close the vent and it will flow through the ducts.

Screenshot_2017-08-10-18-12-01.jpg

mobilcastle

Good luck. You need to install it in the right place below your a\c unit. Hope your wife cools off! Happy Wife Happy Life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, it's been two weeks since I submitted the documentation for the AC repair under the two-year warranty of Dometic. Today, I get a request for a picture of the "Data Tag" from the AC unit. They say "We are needing a picture of the data tag removed form the air conditioner. " Asking for clarification, they send me examples of where the tag is. So I climb up on the roof and take pictures (through the shroud) of the Data Tag, and send. Now they say they want it actually REMOVED. Huh? How is removing it going to help get my reimbursement? I am not very happy with this level of "Customer Service." Has anyone else had to jump through these hoops?

Erika

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, it's been two weeks since I submitted the documentation for the AC repair under the two-year warranty of Dometic. Today, I get a request for a picture of the "Data Tag" from the AC unit. They say "We are needing a picture of the data tag removed form the air conditioner. " Asking for clarification, they send me examples of where the tag is. So I climb up on the roof and take pictures (through the shroud) of the Data Tag, and send. Now they say they want it actually REMOVED. Huh? How is removing it going to help get my reimbursement? I am not very happy with this level of "Customer Service." Has anyone else had to jump through these hoops?

Erika

I haven't but I also had guy changing them out both times do all that. Second time they told him no but Jo called and they said they would replace again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Here is the latest email:

"Yes we would need a picture of it removed from the unit. It does come off easily but I would advise that you remove it slowly so that it doesn't rip. It will stick right back on the unit. The reason why we need it is if a dealer tries to resell the unit in the future we have a record of it being used already. You can just reply to this email with that photo. Thank you very much!"

So now I am really confused. We replaced A PART. Not the whole unit. I even have the part they replaced!

UPDATE:

They realized their mistake, and have said they need nothing more from me for this claim.

"
My apologies. I have spoken with my supervisor and the pictures you have are enough to continue with the claim. I do apologize.[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]"[/FONT]

TravelTiger

Well, here is the latest:

"After review, Dometic will be reimbursing for the capacitor and for labor. Dometic warranty is on parts and labor only, so we would be unable to reimburse for the mobile fee for someone to go to your location. We will require the capacitor for testing, please send this to [address in Indiana]. Please make sure this is trackable when being shipped, in case there is a shipping issue. Once we receive the capacitor and if it tests defective, please allow 30-45 days for my claims department to process and get the check sent to you."

Needless to say, I am appalled at the customer service from Dometic. I've already waited 17 days (12 business days) to hear this. I understand that normally, a mobile fee would probably not be reimbursed. However, when I called customer service, they sent me a form that specifically asked for an explanation of why I could not take it to a certified Dometic repair facility. The reasons I provided: In Texas we were experiencing 95+ degree days, and one AC would not cool the unit sufficiently (85-95 inside). We work full time, live full time in the unit, have pets, nearest RV dealers are 45 min and 1 hour away. Neither Dometic certified repair service available to look at it for at least 4 weeks. Mobile tech could get to us in one week. If this isn't "good enough," I have no idea what WOULD be an acceptable excuse for using a mobile tech for Dometic.

Next, they want me to pay to ship the part to them, with a trackable service. I had already sent them a photo of the part, with obvious burned wiring/connections.

I am very upset with the statement, "
if it tests defective..." -- the part has sections that are BURNED UP. It's defective!!!

Then I must allow 30-45 days to get a check. WOW. Just, WOW.

carl.swoyer

Apparently there claim process is designed to discourage the end user from actually jumping all the hurdles. Seems that they are a dishonest company.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Apparently their claim process is designed to discourage the end user from actually jumping all the hurdles. Seems that they are a dishonest company.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I must continue to explain this SAGA, so others can learn from my experience.

I was asked to ship the defective part back to Dometic on 8-28-17, after having sent the requested paperwork and receipts on 8-8-17.

I went back and forth with them on this, asking why they needed the actual part when the photo I sent clearly showed it was BURNED UP. I also asked for a prepaid shipping label, and was told they can't do that, but could, within reason, compensate me for the shipping. (It had to be a trackable shipping method.)

I shipped the part and they received it 9-11-17. I did not hear anything, so today 9-18-17 I emailed to verify they received the part and would be compensating me for the shipping cost. They did receive it and would pay for the shipping.

I again appealed regarding the trip charge for the mobile service, based on the fact that we are living in our coach, it's 95+ degrees, we are working full time, the nearest repair facility is an hour away and could not see us for 4 weeks. I was denied, and appealed again for a supervisor to review. I was again denied. I was told 7-10 days to evaluate the part, and 30-45 days to get a check.

Now, look carefully at the MAIN PAGE of Dometic's website:

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 9.57.07 AM.jpg

What part of this warranty process is MOBILE LIVING MADE EASY" ???

What part of this process is "Satisfying your essential needs when living mobile" ???

Before you post "Well, that's how most warranty claims are paid, you should not expect that", I am frustrated because the initial form DOES NOT STATE THEY DO NOT PAY FOR MOBILE TRIP CHARGES. It asks for you to explain the circumstances of the claim. In my opinion, this is so they have the discernment as to why they should, or should not, pay for the claim.

Here is the claim form from Dometic:

The information below is what is required for reimbursement consideration. Please make sure we have all the documentation listed:
· Letter stating why you paid out of pocket or went to unauthorized service center
· Diagnostic Paperwork from service center
· Invoices showing itemized charges for parts, labor, etc.
· Proof of purchase for the original product (if product came with the coach then the bill of sale will suffice)
· VIN number, manufacturer, and model of coach
· Model and serial number of product that was replaced or needed replacement part
· Your address, phone number, and email address

We may require the defective part or product back depending on the situation. Please make sure you keep the defective part or product until we let you know otherwise. If the part that was installed to resolve the issue is not a Dometic part, Dometic does not reimburse for that repair.
All documents will be reviewed for warranty reimbursement consideration. Dometic reimburses what was charged for the part/product, however, the labor charges are subject to the amount Dometic authorizes for repair under warranty. Dometic does not reimburse for taxes or shipping charges.
We reserve the right to deny the reimbursement claim at any time. We may take up to 2-3 weeks to review the documents before responding with a decision regarding the claim. Once the claim has been submitted, in most cases the defective product/part will need to be tested. Once tested and if found defective we send the information to the warranty claims department. Once with the claims department, if we are reimbursing, the check can take up to 30-45 days before you receive it.
Please return this information to customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com or by mail 1120 N Main St, Elkhart, IN 46514, attn: Retail Department.

I want you to be aware, if you need warranty work, DO NOT USE A MOBILE TECH unless you are OK with paying for the service charge, and expect a very long time for reimbursement if you plan to file yourself.

jassson007

Erika I used a mobile tech both times my rear ac went out. Both times dometic paid everything. Difference is this tech did everything as far as talking to them. Only time we had to get in phone with them is the second replacement as they said previously they would not replace it again but all we had to do was ask them to replace it as it was going out and they did.

Sorry you are having issues but I had a good experience with them and I was way out of warranty.

TravelTiger

Erika I used a mobile tech both times my rear ac went out. Both times dometic paid everything. Difference is this tech did everything as far as talking to them. Only time we had to get in phone with them is the second replacement as they said previously they would not replace it again but all we had to do was ask them to replace it as it was going out and they did.

Sorry you are having issues but I had a good experience with them and I was way out of warranty.

Glad you had good luck! Was your mobile tech Dometic certified? Maybe they pay it all if they are. My tech was not, but he was the only one that returned my calls and could get to us in a reasonable timeframe.

jassson007

Glad you had good luck! Was your mobile tech Dometic certified? Maybe they pay it all if they are. My tech was not, but he was the only one that returned my calls and could get to us in a reasonable timeframe.

I believe he was Erika which would make a huge difference but like you said it shouldn't be that difficult.