Air Conditioner blowing funny smell out of the vents

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all, 2016 Big Country with the Dometic "High Performance" 3311983.000 units, Whisper Quiet ducting inside.

Bedroom unit works great, living room unit, not so much. We owned it 20 months, fulltiming.

The heat in Texas really challenges this unit, struggling to keep at 78 when temp gets over 95.

Today, temps were milder as we have some rain in the area. At 3ish, it was doing fine keeping up. I suddenly noticed a smell like burning electrical, so I shut down everything in the rig. I turned the AC on again, and the smell was coming from the AC vents. Went outside to look around, the outside AC fan was running but the stopped. I went back in, the thermostat looked like it was on, but the indoor temp said 32.

I turned it off and waited about an hour (researching). I turned it on again, temp read 80 inside... the fan came on and then the compressor, the air was feeling cooler, but the smell was there again, so I just turned it off again.

I went on the roof and looked inside the shroud through the vents, and could not see anything amiss. It did smell burnt when I got my nose close to the vents.

I have a mobile tech called, but it will be a week before they can get to me.

Any thoughts on how we could diagnose this and get a solution quicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHerrick

First, I'd be willing to bet you accidentally touched the button, shifting the temp from F to C. 32 C = 89.6 F.

There are eight screws holding the cowl on the shell of your A/C unit. Turn the unit off, pull the screws and reach into the unit with a brass brush and remove the lint buildup. Do the same thing on the outside. Put the cover back on and come back inside. Turn the unit back on and remove all the vent screens and on the delivery ones, remove and wash the foam inserts. Let them dry and keep smelling the A/C as they dry. If it returns, there is something else wrong, but I'm betting that you are smelling roasting dust on the cooling coils.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

I don't have an inside access to the AC unit, it's the Whisper Quiet* style. Only has filters in the vents on the return side. I changed them to clean ones earlier this week.

And no, did not change to Celsius. The AC was showing running, "Cool" and "auto" at 76, but no fan was on. Pressed the inside temp it said 32.

*Whisper Quiet is a a marketing term, not actually quiet as a whisper.

SHerrick

Oh, I know... the one in the bedroom sounds like a freight train. I'll bet this evening, if you run it, it will be fine. I was talking about the external heat exchanger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

I'll try it tomorrow when hubby can investigate with me. But I know that electrical burning smell, I'm not going to chance it.

olcoon

Erika,
In case you didn't know the AC unit "should" have a 2 year warranty. We had to have ours worked on a few years ago & found this out. Saved us a bunch! You might have to check the paperwork on it.

TravelTiger

Well, finally we had time to diagnose the AC unit. Here are pics, we found the burning smell source. But not familiar enough to know it's cause or how/what to replace.

1a4f47f47a29facffc114b34dad6332d.jpg

b40f06299bc46ed65764df55b7fb6ae9.jpg

ff1677d4bc1f8b64cff65c81f12596d6.jpg

c82421c7f2174bf1f22640c5a1d57d93.jpg

Mobile tech will be here Thursday.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Glad you found the issue Erika
It's possibly was just a loose connection at that termanal, you my be able to just cut that wire back a few inches to find fresh clean wire and splice on a new termanal. Clean the post with a wire brush and then use a little bit of Dielectric grease on it and plug it back in.
That's what I'd do before I payed a mobile tech any money.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

That looks like a start up solonoid. It holds high amps for starting the ac. You can probably replace it yourself. However disconnect power and there is a static time ? For it to discharge any residual amps. They do make an upgrade for that its a hard start kit. Uses less power on start up. However please verify the part first

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gregw

Agree with Carl. Replace both your last picture kinda looks like the device was hot also. Once an electrical device is to hot it will never preform up to spec or it will failure early. Most hard start capacitors are $25-$50. Don't let them charge you $300.00 like I saw on the news!

rjr6150

Definitely a starting capacitor.

Pretty easy change out our turn off power to that circuit pull the connector off being extremely careful not to touch the two terminals together as these hold a charge. Should be able to go into any electrical supply store with the old one and they will match it up for you.

These type capacitors are only designed to be energized for a brief period at start up. Typically only a few seconds. If this shorted out you they are known to also take out the compressor due to attempting startup.

TravelTiger

That looks like a start up solonoid. It holds high amps for starting the ac. You can probably replace it yourself. However disconnect power and there is a static time ? For it to discharge any residual amps. They do make an upgrade for that its a hard start kit. Uses less power on start up. However please verify the part first

According to the parts detail I found, it could be the start motor kit.

Since it could still be under warranty from Dometic, I'm not keen on us doing it ourselves.

I'll call Dometic on Monday and see what they will cover.

carl.swoyer

We'll try to get the hard start kit. It stores more amp s and the ac starts easier. I could remember the part name exactly, but that is what I was talking about. Good luck. I suggest you don't use that ac.

carl.swoyer

According to the parts detail I found, it could be the start motor kit.

Since it could still be under warranty from Dometic, I'm not keen on us doing it ourselves.

I'll call Dometic on Monday and see what they will cover.

We'll try to get the hard start kit. It stores more amp s and the ac starts easier. I could remember the part name exactly, but that is what I was talking about. Good luck. I suggest you don't use that ac.

Meant to say I couldn't

TravelTiger

Oh trust me, we aren't using it, and we can tell! Was 104 today, and got up to 93 inside the living area without air. We spent the afternoon elsewhere. We do have the bedroom air and it works great but of course can't keep up with that heat.

TravelTiger

Well, tech came today, it was the start capacitor. He tested the amp draw of the compressor, and said it was correct. This is a common failure, he said. I will file with Dometic warranty and see if we get any reimbursement.

TravelTiger

Well, tech came today, it was the start capacitor. He tested the amp draw of the compressor, and said it was correct. This is a common failure, he said. I will file with Dometic warranty and see if we get any reimbursement.

f5a419a9d8965121a140ca8d08641753.jpg

mobilcastle

With the whisper quiet setup you are loosing a lot of your cooling capacity. I would open up the ceiling and install a cold air dump panel. I did this to mine and I makes a world of difference in keeping the 5ver cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk