Air Condtioner cooling problem

We have a 2015 Bighorn 3570 RS. Today the outside temperature is in the upper 90's. Both the main and bedroom air conditioners thermostats are set on 72. The inside temperature is 80 down low and 83 in the bedroom. We had a 2008 Bighorn 3600RL with no problem cooling. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Last edited:

danemayer

Re: Air Cindtioner cooling problem

Hi JimandCarolyn,

Our bedroom A/C unit will very quickly freeze out the smaller area of the bedroom. Is yours putting out cold air?

Tombstonejim

Well we are in Tucson. Outside temps run 100plus. On those days there is no way both AC's can keep the inside temp below the high 80's.

Prblem caused by no shade and rect sun makes the outside skin of the RV so hot you can barley touch it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Check the duct on the input side (the side the cool air comes out). The ducts on our Landmark run 36 inches beyond the last duct into the front and rear cap. We blocked off the 'dead' area and it allows more airflow. Right now we are in NE Texas with the outside temp of 107 and the inside is 80. You cannot expect to have more than a 20 degree temperature drop. We also use a floor standing osculating floor fan too and an osculating table fan in the bedroom. Also be sure to run the ceiling fan as well. We have the MCD shades and keep them closed on the sun side of the coach. That helps as well. Right now we are in a side with no shade at all. We keep the awning out as long as the wind allows us too.

Thanks for the answers. I'm still confused as to why my previous Bighorn was able to cool much better than my new one.

MCTalley

Our last Big Country could barely keep up when the temperatures were 90 and above. Our current rig gets downright comfortable inside (we set the thermostats to 73/74) even in recent close to 100 degree, humid temperatures in Houston, Louisiana, Mississippi and now in Alabama. Granted, during the heat of the day with the sun beating down on us, the units both run pretty much full-time on high fan.

One of our secrets is that we have MCD shades and dual pane windows. We pull down both the black and white shades all around the trailer. Yes, it's dark inside, but it stays very comfortably cool. As I type this, it is 10:52 at night and the outside temperature is still 82 degrees (feels like 88). Both units are currently off. The bedroom one kicks on every once in a while.

Thanks, Malcom and Val,

We also have the MCD shades and keep both closed during the day. We don't have dual pane windows, but neither did our old Bighorn. Just don't understand the difference.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a guy come out this evening and test ours. He believes we are low on freon and since we are about 2 months out of warranty he is going to try to get dometic to replace ours as he has done over 20 in last month so dometic knows they have a problem. If not I guess I will make some noise till they listen...lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrrocko

right now i am in houston in a park with all concrete roads and pads really hot temp about 96 with heat index around 105 i was having problem keeping inside temp below 80 started checking the the duct work onthis 2016 big horn 3875fb and found that it is open from front to back. if the front unit was off and back unit running i was getting air blowing out in my front bathroom. i stuffed the front bathroom duct with towels turned the fan on hi on both units doing the day and i can get the temp to 77 and it will not freeze up on hi fan. also i have found there are alot of leaks from the ducting work from heartland very poor design i can feel cold air leaking just about every where. at night i put both units in auto and they cycle though and maintains a temp of 77

danemayer

right now i am in houston in a park with all concrete roads and pads really hot temp about 96 with heat index around 105 i was having problem keeping inside temp below 80 started checking the the duct work onthis 2016 big horn 3875fb and found that it is open from front to back. if the front unit was off and back unit running i was getting air blowing out in my front bathroom. i stuffed the front bathroom duct with towels turned the fan on hi on both units doing the day and i can get the temp to 77 and it will not freeze up on hi fan. also i have found there are alot of leaks from the ducting work from heartland very poor design i can feel cold air leaking just about every where. at night i put both units in auto and they cycle though and maintains a temp of 77

If you're happy with the results from splitting the combined duct, enjoy. Some people enjoy being able to cut down the noise by running the distant A/C unit after the unit cools down, which requires the combined duct.

Of course if the heat index is 105 and you're in an RV, you do what you have to do.

jmgratz

My personal opinion of the 'whisper quiet' design is it sucks. You have the bedroom ac blowing air toward the living room and the living room blowing air toward the bedroom. The air collides inside the duct and basically cancel each other out therefore less air output. The vent design with the louvers pointing in opposite directions cause the air to not blow out of the ducts. If you remove the louver from the hole you get more air out of the opening. Heartland engineers need to relook at the design.

phix

We have a 2012 BH3610 with bedroom and living area ACs and live in central Florida Without shade. The bedroom can get chilly, but the living area never cools more than 17 degrees below the outside temp and never has. I think that may be the best you can expect. Too bad that air from the main unit is vented to every room, including the bedroom. The main runs all the time but the bedroom runs infrequently. We also loose a lot of cold air each time the door to the outside is opened putting more demand on the main unit.

Jim.Allison

I dont know what kind of system you have, but this is my story. I have two units with the "race track ducting" I had issues with the AC units running hard and not getting anywhere. I dont like to let people work on my stuff even for warranty issues because the problems are never identified and subsequently never fixed.

I removed the A/C vent covers and immediately found chunks of styrofoam as they blew out the A/C vents. The system started working better. Then I took off the inlet covers and found the "dam" that were used to adapt my system to the A/C units were all poorly installed. It was clear to see how they were to be installed so I re-installed them using aluminum ducting tape. After reinstalling the airdams and vent covers, my A/C actually started cycling and cooling the rig in 100 + degree south Texas summers. Hope this helps-good luck.

jassson007

We had a guy come out this evening and test ours. He believes we are low on freon and since we are about 2 months out of warranty he is going to try to get dometic to replace ours as he has done over 20 in last month so dometic knows they have a problem. If not I guess I will make some noise till they listen...lol.

Well we finally heard back from guy who looked at our unit. He has been so busy that he forgot about us. Kept telling DW to call him again. Finally called him this morning and he got in touch with dometic and they know that there was a problem in manufacturing so they are going to replace ours with a Brisk 2 if I remember correctly. All of this will be done in warranty even though we have been out since first of June. We have to pay trip charge and anything over 1 hour in labor. We are ready to have both ac's back as our poor 13.5 can't keep up during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Well we finally heard back from guy who looked at our unit. He has been so busy that he forgot about us. Kept telling DW to call him again. Finally called him this morning and he got in touch with dometic and they know that there was a problem in manufacturing so they are going to replace ours with a Brisk 2 if I remember correctly. All of this will be done in warranty even though we have been out since first of June. We have to pay trip charge and anything over 1 hour in labor. We are ready to have both ac's back as our poor 13.5 can't keep up during the day.

I know you will be glad to have 2 acs back. It has been in the 100s here around Houston in East Texas

jassson007

I know you will be glad to have 2 acs back. It has been in the 100s here around Houston in East Texas

Yes sir. Same temps here as well. Grass is starting to die off. After the wet June we have not had much if any rain. Lol.

Hunter11

Andy, we have the same issue with our front Whisper Quiet unit right now. It cannot keep up during the day and with our duct system not tied together the living room AC is doing all the work. We just close off the bedroom/bathroom area during the day and start trying to cool it down once we get home. We have a guy I use coming out Thursday to do Dometics "test" but he told me over the phone it will have to be replaced. He said they have had issues with the HP units and they will probably replace it with a Brisk Air 2. I have no problem with that because we had those on our last unit and they worked great. The lady I talked to at Dometic even told me if the unit needed to be replaced it would be with a Brisk Air 2. If the rear unit makes it until next May which will end the warranty we are going to go ahead and have it replaced with a Brisk Air 2 at that time. No use pushing our luck with something that has a known problem. I wonder if Heartland is still using these units knowing they have an issue.

jassson007

It was not just heartland though. Dometic got a huge shipment at the time from the factory and these bad units ended up with just about everyone.