Air Condtioner cooling problem

TxCowboy

We just installed a second AC, this time over the bedroom. It's a Dometic Penguin II low profile and it is supposed to be a "quiet model".

And it is...if you're outside the RV. You almost can't hear it running standing outside. But inside, it sounds like a freight train. And with the manual control system, it never shuts off at night.

We knew it was going to be louder than the fan we used in the bedroom before (white noise) but wow. There was a party next door over the weekend (about a dozen people that stayed up until 3 a.m.) so it was just a few feet from the bedroom. We didn't hear anything. Maybe a bit too much "white noise" with this AC. I do like hearing the rain on the RV at night from time to time.

Kenneths

I just bought my Landmark and was getting concerned with the 3 AC units not being able to keep up in this heat. I planned to discuss it with the service guys when I brought it in. Do any of you have 3 AC units and still cannot keep up?

Hunter11

I would think with 3 15k AC units they would be able to keep it comfortable on a 100* day. I would definitely have the dealer check it out. I wish 3 AC units was an option when we ordered because we would have bought it. Right now with one AC down and the temps at 100* we are not having a good time.

TxCowboy

Aren't most of the three AC unit RVs on some sort of Energy Management System that only runs two of the ACs at the same time? It supposedly cycles one of the three off at all times so as not to create an overload issue.

Kenneths

My understanding is it cycles the 3rd unit off if the refrigerator, microwave or other large draw appliance turns on.

danemayer

Aren't most of the three AC unit RVs on some sort of Energy Management System that only runs two of the ACs at the same time? It supposedly cycles one of the three off at all times so as not to create an overload issue.

The Landmark 365 comes with a Power Control System that sheds loads if too much power is being used. The first load that is shed is the water heater. Then the rear A/C unit. Then the front A/C unit....

Other models with three air conditioners have a switch that allows only two units to run at a time.

Hunter11

I guess I misunderstood the question. I understand the way the system works with the 3 AC option but I thought you were asking if when all 3 AC's are on should they be able to keep up with temps in the 95* to 100*. I feel like they should and if not I would have them checked.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well we finally heard back from guy who looked at our unit. He has been so busy that he forgot about us. Kept telling DW to call him again. Finally called him this morning and he got in touch with dometic and they know that there was a problem in manufacturing so they are going to replace ours with a Brisk 2 if I remember correctly. All of this will be done in warranty even though we have been out since first of June. We have to pay trip charge and anything over 1 hour in labor. We are ready to have both ac's back as our poor 13.5 can't keep up during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we finally got our living room ac replaced today. Was expecting it tomorrow as was told by guy doing work and he showed up at lunch time between showers and got it switched out. Also rebuilt the return air baffle so it will cool better instead of sucking cold air back into the return. Dometic did screw up and sent my unit with a white cover and the one for previous customer with a brown one. He was going to swap them out but then found my shroud was cracked in shipping and since he did not inspect them when they were delivered he now has to order a new one for me from dometic. He said not to pay him until he swaps it out so that was good with me but I will owe for two trip charges and at least another hour of labor. But I now have cooler air. Lol

jassson007

Woohoo Andy! Cool times ahead my friend.

Yes it is nice in here now. Don't mind the dogs sitting in my lap now. Lol. They weren't happy as I would not let them stay up in my lap very long the last week or so.

justafordguy

We had a guy come out this evening and test ours. He believes we are low on freon and since we are about 2 months out of warranty he is going to try to get dometic to replace ours as he has done over 20 in last month so dometic knows they have a problem. If not I guess I will make some noise till they listen...lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2nd new Dometic unit (2 months old) just went bad this past weekend, they do have a real problem with reliability.:p

jassson007

My 2nd new Dometic unit (2 months old) just went bad this past weekend, they do have a real problem with reliability.:p

Mine has been doing great. I asked about my 13.5 and he said that he has not had any issues with those as of yet just the 15's.

Hunter11

We are still waiting for our replacement bedroom unit to come in from Dometic so we can get it replaced. I hope they are not replacing junk with junk....

danemayer

Does anyone know what years and models are affected by the bad Dometic units?

Just working from memory, I would say we've seen maybe 10-20 posts about failures over the last 18 months. I don't think there's any particular pattern. Given the many thousands of units shipping without failures, it might be too early to assume a pervasive problem.

jassson007

Info my ac guy had was those that he is seeing the most of go back about 2 to 2.5 years ago since most were replaced under warranty. He was told that they received a whole shipment from overseas so it affected just about every manufacturer. Now I am just going by what he said but dometic did not waffle on replacing my unit even if it was 2 months out of warranty.

Hunter11

We finally got our bedroom AC unit replaced last Friday. I decided to take the day off and help the mobile RV tech do the replacement and once we had the old unit off I am glad I did. The cold air side of the unit was a mess. The connection between the unit and the interior duct work was very poorly put together. There were gaps of between 1/4" to 1/2" (all the way across the top and bottom) where cold air was blowing into the roof cavity and the tabs connecting the two were not even bent over. I was able to fix everything and use aluminum tape to seal it all up good before we installed the new AC unit and we now have much more cold air coming into the bedroom. I was so disappointed in the way they had thrown the connection together that I ordered a new gasket and foot pads for the rear unit and I am going to remove it and try and make any repairs to it that are needed to get full air flow into the living room ducts. As the mobile tech said we were losing a lot of cold air into the roof cavity that should have been going into the duct work. And of course this is not something you can see or repair without removing the unit on the Whisper Quiet setup.