"Air" Reception between 2 TV's

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We are currently in a campground that does not offer cable. So we are using our antenna. With the booster switch on, I get 13 channels on the bedroom TV but only 3 channels on the TV in the living room. I've tried just about all I know (that ain't a whole lot -- just ask Southernights) including rotating the antenna, re-programming the "auto program" search on the tv. I even went to Wal-Mart and bought a signal booster to place on the living room tv. Nothing seems to work. I still only get 3 channels. Compounding that problem is that two of the three channels are Spanish channels and I don't speak Spanish. :eek:

As I recall (my memory ain't what it use to be - just ask Southernights) I've had this problem ever since I purchased the camper. I don't stay in campgrounds without cable very often so it is something that has been a real pain in the butt but not a major problem -- until now. I'm in a campground without cable for 3 weeks and the range of disparity (3 vs 13 channels) is far greater than what we have experienced before so now I'm waving the "Help" flag.:)

Any ideas on what could possible be my problem (I mean the tv problem not MY problem Larry)???:confused: Or what else I can try??

Thanks much

Keith

danemayer

The puzzling part is that from your description I'd have to assume your picture is good on both TVs when using cable. Since that uses the same wires as the TV antenna, it argues the wiring is good. Since the bedroom has good TV reception, that argues that the booster is working. All that leaves is differences between the TVs. While it could be, I doubt that's the problem.

Logic notwithstanding, I'd say there's still a very good chance that you have a poorly crimped or loose coax connector either in the living room, or on the backside of the booster switch in the bedroom. It may be that with the booster, there's too much signal loss when using the TV antenna, but with cable, there's a strong enough signal to get through.

You could quickly test this theory with a piece of coax run from the bedroom antenna connector to the living room TV. If the problem goes away, the coax inside the walls is the problem and it's almost certain to be a problem with the connectors. Maybe the coax you use when hooked up to cable is long enough to run this test.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
All of Dans thoughts are great. One more thing to check. Make sure the TV is set to "Air" or "antenna" in the set up menu. Some TV's, even if on "cable" will pick up and broadcast some over the air signals. Worth a look anyway.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to what has already been said, there are a couple of things you could do. One is to learn Spanish. Two, remove and inspect all the connecters. Look for any little piece of sheilding wire tht mat be touching the center wire. All it takes is one tiny wire to mess up your signal.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

Also, if its possible, remove the TV in the bedroom and hook it up to the living room and see what ya get then.

klindgren

Thanks for your suggestions. I took the cable and tried running directly from the connection in the bedroom down to the TV and while I got a couple more channels, I couldn't get all the ones I have at the bedroom outlet. So today I'm going to bring the TV from the bedroom down to the living room and try hooking it up. As long as it is disconnected I thought I also try pluging it in at the outlet in the basement, where I have never had a tv. Just to see what happens. Needless to say, I'm still confused. I've also made sure when doing the set-up that both tvs are on "air" verses "cable"

jbeletti

Keith,

Some fine advice is being given here and your troubleshooting it pretty well on your own too. Do return the amplifier to the store though. It is not needed and is never used at the TV end of a wire run.

Are both TVs the same brand? Different TVs can have different tuner sensitivities.

If the bedroom TV used in the livingroom gets the same channels as it does in the bedroom, this will prove the livingroom TV as the culprit. Does it mean the TV is bad? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the tuner's sensitivity. But for sure, you'd want to speak to the TV mfr about it.

Let us know.

Jim

bdb2047

I have had a similar issue.If I have both TVs searching for channels at same time there may be an issue.If I let 1 complete programming before starting the other TVs search for channels,1 tv turned off, not an issue.I had and dealer had checked antenna and found no problems.

klindgren

Curiouser and Curiouser -- I didn't get a chance to move tvs around yesterday, but while Carol was at the Farmers Market, I went next door to Best Buy and after talking to a technician there purchased one of their "digital indoor antennas." Plugged it in and did a new "auto-program" and now have all the channels in the living room that I have in the bedroom plus two more. So it isn't the tv. It has to be the camper antenna or connections within the camper. Not sure what my next step is or even if there is a next step. While I shouldn't have to have an additional antenna, if it works well, to me it's worth the $80+ that it cost. At least I don't have to set up chairs in the bedroom to watch tv in the evening.

danemayer

I bought a kit and some extra connectors and replaced every F connector in the rig - including the 4 attaching to the amplifier in the bedroom, and the ones at the splitter behind the basement wall, and of course the UDC. The tools are a bit pricey, but once you have the coax in your hand, it takes 30 seconds to replace the connector and the tool does a good job.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000934F3Q/ref=oh_o01_s00_i01_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UKARN4/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

You might start with the entertainment center and then do the backside of the amplifier. The splitter in the basement, behind the basement coax connector, is another candidate.

jbeletti

If you're coming to the FL rally, should be a bunch of us who can help good ol' Santa out on this. Just remember who helped you. We all have big lists this year :)

kkamshop

If you are getting more channels with the after market indoor antenna whats that say about the antenna on your roof ?

porthole

Retired
The simple fix is change all the connectors. The better fix would be to pull some quality quad cable through all the runs and then change the connectors.

And if you go only the connectors make sure they match the cable. Our trailer doesn't have quad.
Compression style connectors are the best you can get now.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you are getting more channels with the after market indoor antenna whats that say about the antenna on your roof ?
He had said the bedroom TV was working fine. There are 3 connectors on the back of the amplifier that may have bad connections or a reversed connection. There are also connectors on the rear of the connection plate in the LR. Sadly, factories put these things together as fast as they can with little or no testing. I don't think the dealers are verifying anything either.
Back in 2006 I spent an entire day replacing connectors and correcting coax routing mistakes. But hey! I was retired. Not defending Heartland here, just stating what I know.

klindgren

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling in reading what Jim B and Porthole had said, that the f-connectors were what I thought they were, but just to be safe I thought I'd ask and show my ignorance rather than assume and prove my stupidity by blindly charging ahead. Wish I could make the Florida rally Jim but we'll be back in Virginia by then. Gotta a bunch of VA appointments I gotta keep.

After reading all the responses to my questions, I think for the time being I'm going to experiment with this external indoor antenna. It's working great here and I want to try a few other campground locations before I start taking things apart to replace connectors, (you know the the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or in this case "as long as it's working this way, don't mess with it").

As usual, I am amased not only at the wealth of knowledge on this forum but also by the quick and helpful responses I got. Thanks a million!!

danemayer

If you begin to notice problems with Cable reception, you'll know the connector problem has gotten worse.