Air Tank with Air Bags

R.Pratt

I installed the firestone bags and ride rite system, the tank like port hole said is small but i can go from 0 to 80 psig before the compressor kicks on. I mounted the tank above the spare tire facing left and right on the cross member and with the tire back in it does not hit and is hidden, the compressor is mounted on my left frame rail just forward of the aft spring mount and is on the inside, i weatherproofed the connections and ran a seperate power lead off a relay so the switch was not carrying all the load, i also installed a T fitting in it and put a small air service connection in my bed as you can see on this pic, now i have air for tires and it comes with a 25' coil cord. you will never fill a large E tire all the way without the compressor running but the system is realitivley light and small and can be installed in about half a day
100MSDCF

Last edited:

jtcfishing

Dave012 I also put firestone airbags on my truck and like you I also needed air for tires and toys and a trail-air hitch so I purchesed a firestone high pressure 12v air compresser it does a really good job even on 110lbs.for the trailer and truck tires. The best part is it is so portable,came with bag ,hose, gauge,and fill fittings well worth the money.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Wow you guys are smart. I don't have a clue what any of this means but will ask around. I think I like the idea of an 12 volt air compressor bolted to the truck, but on the other hand, duh, doesn't my air bags in my truck have a air compressor and is there any way I could use it for other purposes? Also, if I get the inverter that FLOYD suggests and batteries, geez, I don't even know what I am saying. Do I need both?
I will check on my bipap and report tomorrow the amps and wattage as Jim B suggests. This is way out of my league. I did not learn this stuff in college. As I said holy cow, you guys are speaking Greek to me, but I am sure with a phone call and some common sense I should be able to cover it all. Too bad I am not handy with all these gizmo's. I am almost tempted to just buy an Onan generator since we are gen prepped and forget about it. These technical words make my head spin. Whee!

beasleyrl

Another thought. Honda generators are great. Invertors certainly have their purpose. And the onboard Onan is a wonderful option. Like most of you, I've played with all of these. When we bought our Cyclone, I did opt for the Onan and haven't regreted it in the least. It runs a compressor we keep in the garage of the Cyclone which gives us plenty of air for the tires and the Hensley hitch.

However, there is a another low cost option for power that I didn't see anyone mention. Pep Boys and Costco sell a Chinease knock off of a Honda generator. It tends to run in the $300 dollar range (vs the $2K range). There are several versions of this but the most recent pretty much comes 30amp ready out of the box. If not, there is a minor modification that can be made easily (instructions are on rv.net). I used this on my rig prior to the Cyclone and for the few times a year I needed it, it worked great! It is also National Park Service compliant so you can use it in the parks but it does still make noise (unlike the invertor). However, it has some side benefits in that it does have the power to run most of your rig (including a single AC or your microwave).

Larryheadhunter

OK, here is the input for my bi-pap machine Jim B was asking about. It's called a Respironics Bipap Auto M series with humidifier, 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 1.70 A, Type BF, Class II, type BF. That's the info right on the back of the machine. I don't know how that applies, but those are the specs. It is interesting that many think I should get an inverter, and many suggest a generator. I am hoping to stay out of the snow during our travels, but stuff happens, and you have to be prepared.

Thanks in advance for more options, everyone.

porthole

Retired
OK, here is the input for my bi-pap machine Jim B was asking about. It's called a Respironics Bipap Auto M series with humidifier, 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 1.70 A, Type BF, Class II, type BF.

So - you can use it here or across the pond. 50 Hz Europe, 60Hz USA

Converting Amps to Watts

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

Watts = 1.7A x 120V = 204 watts

So you would need at least a 300 watt inverter (inverters are not 100% efficient).

A 1000 watt inverter should be more then sufficient. If you have room for extra batteries a pair or 4 - 6 volt batteries would be ideal.

If you hook the inverter up to your house battery you would want a positive way to disconnect it, e.g. a battery switch. Even turned off inverters have a small drain.

And if your batteries start running low you can always hook up the truck to the 7 way trailer connector and run the truck to charge the batteries.

Larryheadhunter

Thanks Duane, but I think I would need more watts for an inverter if we ever dry camped without a genny. Gotta think about everything electric, TV, microwave, A/C etc. don't you think?

mcmartin

retired u s army
I put the air lift bages (5000lb) on my 2003 ram with a compresser and 2 LB tank (tank in box in bed) I have no problem airing up any thing and it works great toys and tires part number 25690 on airlift web site

caissiel

I have a $7.00 12volt compressor in each vehicles and use it for all tires. up to my 110PSI trailer tires.

porthole

Retired
Thanks Duane, but I think I would need more watts for an inverter if we ever dry camped without a genny. Gotta think about everything electric, TV, microwave, A/C etc. don't you think?

Then you would be spending more for an invertor then you would for a portable genny.

You get what you pay for and a quality (Heart - Trace etc) 2.5-3KW inverter, appropriate wiring, batteries and other ancillary "stuff" will have you approaching the almost $1 per watt range - before installtion.

Unless you get lucky and find some bargains.

I hemmed and hawed on a Heart 3kw unit that the dealer had sitting on a "display used" shelf.

Didn't take long for someone to see that at $950 with no box that it was a baragin at the time.

Larryheadhunter

Duane, where could you find a portable genny for 1K? And what is the benefit either way to get a genny over a 2-3Kw inverter? I really don't know the cost/benefit analysis? Since I am gen prepped would I be better off with a genny but at nite while sleeping the inverter would be better for my sleep apnea as it's overkill to keep a genny on all nite, very expensive and would upset the local campers as well. LOL