Am I an idiot ?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Tom if you are referring to AMPS on each leg, that is not causing your problem as that depends on what appliances are connected to that side of the breaker box. I would guess your problem is high or low voltage. I believe most of them will shut off at 10% variance to protect the coach. In the morning could be everyone is using power drawing down the line voltage, not uncommon. The reason no one else is having problems is because they are not using a surge protector, that was an ignorant comment for the manager to make. I have heard that comment WAY to many times. At our home park I hooked up and got no power when I read the code it said reversed polarity, I reported it and was told that the last 500 people to hook up to it had no problems, I said I am not risking my rig on the past of others, I showed him the readings and he promptly corrected the plug. :cool::cool:

It's gotta be low voltage! :p Anyone ever heard of high voltage in a park?:mad::mad:. Personally, I've only seen low voltage in these parks...that and HORRIBLE grounding. I've seen voltages of 85 up to about 125 volts. And, some of the dirtiest power I've had since Vietnam.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Got to agree 100% with Pulltab on this one...we too have the Progressive EMS, and it's saved out butts several times also. Would never be without one again...EVER!!!:D

Lefty...YES we've had high voltage more than once in several different parks...once as high as 137 volts!!! This is exactly why we've go the EMS!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
neutral floats

I believe the answer was stated before, the white wire is the electrical neutral. When the neutral has a poor connection, the neutral floats. So lets say there is a large load (A/C unit) on one side of the circuit (between black wire and white wire), the voltage normally would be 120 volts. However since the neutral is floating, this load will pull the voltage down. The bad thing is on the other side of the electical circuit (between red wire and white wire), the normal voltage is 120 volts, but since the voltage is pulled down on due to the large load, the voltage goes up on this side. This voltage can reach 240 volts. The result is the equipment connected to this side designed for 120 volts, have 240 volt provided and equipment will be damaged.

Tom of Ypsi

This is my bad and it should actually read one leg is 117 volts and the other 125 volts. The managers comment did make me mad. None of the other campers around me have surge protectors and most are on 30 amp service.

l

Last edited:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Not long ago I was at a campground that had a loose socket on the pedistal. I thought I had it plugged in good but it was a little loose. Let me just say that if you are not making good solid contact it can cause a low voltage situation and then the low voltage situation can cause things to start failing. I believe you are right, the lack of a solid connection could cause your problems.

A lot of gear does not like low voltage conditions..you could burn out your AC and other stuff if you aren't careful.

Just another though of doom and gloom...sorry.

Pulltab

This is my bad and it should actually read one leg is 117 volts and the other 125 volts. The managers comment did make me mad. None of the other campers around me have surge protectors and most are on 30 amp service.

l
Oh, well if that is voltage then no, that should not trip the protector. I think surgeguard had a recall recently on some units, you may want to check that your's is not included in it. I found this but not sure if this was the recall http://www.motorbeat.com/model/surge+guard/ I don't know if the Surgeguard will shutdown on a bad ground or not but do know it is programmed to protect against it. What would have been nice was to either plug into another post or borrow a neighbors surgeguard and see if it did it on your rig. Never trust campground wiring! THats a good motto to live by :D

For those looking to buy, this is good information to consider. The Progressive unit will generate a code and tell you exactly what the problem is so you can correct it and it will not let power in until you do or absent mindedly flip the bypass switch :)

Tom of Ypsi

My post should have read that none of the other campers have surege protectors and they are all on 30 amp. I do not know where this Angel Face came from and it will not let me delete it. Anyways thanks for the info and I will keep trying to track down the problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, you can install it yourself, it honestly is easy, cut your wire connect the red white and black to the breaker then off the other side same thing, then ground both sides with your green wire. Plug it in and your ready to go. If your not comfortable with it any electric guy can do it or camping world. I do not have any pics of the install but I have moved it 3 times as I changed rigs. I mounted mine right behind the basement wall where the converter is located.

We will be at the Heartland rally in June and if you havent got it installed I would be glad to help for do it for you. :)

Pulltab, thanks for the feedback. I don't have a problem working with wiring, I just like to get a good "picture" of a project before hand. Is there actually enough slack in the OEM wiring to make the connections easily, or did you have to add some to it? I like the Progressive unit for the remote display, even if it is a bit more $$ than the SurgeGuard. Only problem is that any mods I do will have to be done either in a storage yard or a campground, cuz that BH3670RL won't fit in my driveway. I had enough trouble getting a 27' TT backed up it without running over the neighbors lawn across the street.

JohnDar

Progressive Surge Protector

OK, call me lazy (careful Lefty, I got a black jack in my newspaper :(), but I called my dealer and had them order the EMS-HW50C and arranged for them to do the installation. That way it's ready from the get-go and I don't have to do it in a storage yard. Sometimes the cost is worth the convenience.

Pulltab

OK, call me lazy (careful Lefty, I got a black jack in my newspaper :(), but I called my dealer and had them order the EMS-HW50C and arranged for them to do the installation. That way it's ready from the get-go and I don't have to do it in a storage yard. Sometimes the cost is worth the convenience.

That is super John and you will not ever be disappointed!:):D

JohnDar

That is super John and you will not ever be disappointed!:):D

Well, even though I haven't seen it, my dealer installed the Progressive unit for me after all at the original install quote. They were going to mount the remote inside the cabinet where all the other switches and controls are by the front kitchen counter.

I caught your earlier post on Sundance's about the service you've received from Progressive. Glad I went with them.