Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Rollin_Free

Great idea....While I have never pulled a fifth wheel, I have pulled gooseneck horse trailers...I am thinking they could be close to what I will feel with the Anderson...but not really sure!!

IMHO it's more solid than the front /back sway you experience with a heavy gooseneck however you are probably correct that it is close to the same.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hey Garry . . . I'll let you drive our rig hitched up if you are already at a gig when we arrive.

Once we are set up in our site . . . well, too bad!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
JohnD.....That would be great, I will take you up on it.....when are you arriving at BV?
A few of us will be coming in together from the NM Rally...

Rollin_Free

Hope to read in the future what differences you noticed, pro and con, during the test for both hitches. Maybe we could call it Garrys Corner but I think thats already been taken(??)

Doublegranch

Hope to read in the future what differences you noticed, pro and con, during the test for both hitches. Maybe we could call it Garrys Corner but I think thats already been taken(??)

[Wow...I hope JohnD has lots of insurance on that Rig of HIS!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure if I can get it up to 60mph and complete a full side spin stop...]

Edit:

I noticed when I downloaded the specs on the new aluminium system the measurements were a little different than the last version....From the center of the ball to the front edge of the rail is now only 10.5" vs 14 3/4 on the older....this really helps me with my bed tank as now I have a few inches to spare. The ball I am referring to is not the ball to hook up to the king pin adapter but the ball in the bed of the truck...so this also places the gooseball for the king pin back farther toward the tailgate....great again for my SB version of the Mega Cab. I hope I explained the new funnel correctly....I will give you an update once it arrives....Anderson only ships on Tuesdays and Thursdays....also there was a 3 day back order on this new version.

Doublegranch

You know since it's a free demo....why not give it a try!!!
Now JohnD is asking what in the world did I do......

Rollin_Free

You know since it's a free demo....why not give it a try!!!
Now JohnD is asking what in the world did I do......

Yikes he gave me some real good info on tires so please be careful.

- - - Updated - - -

[Wow...I hope JohnD has lots of insurance on that Rig of HIS!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure if I can get it up to 60mph and complete a full side spin stop...]

Edit:

I noticed when I downloaded the specs on the new aluminium system the measurements were a little different than the last version....From the center of the ball to the front edge of the rail is now only 10.5" vs 14 3/4 on the older....this really helps me with my bed tank as now I have a few inches to spare. The ball I am referring to is not the ball to hook up to the king pin adapter but the ball in the bed of the truck...so this also places the gooseball for the king pin back farther toward the tailgate....great again for my SB version of the Mega Cab. I hope I explained the new funnel correctly....I will give you an update once it arrives....Anderson only ships on Tuesdays and Thursdays....also there was a 3 day back order on this new version.

Please recheck measurements. I may be wrong but I don't see the king pin ball moving since it is not showing any more offset from the gooseneck ball in the bed.

Doublegranch

I have the drawings from Anderson in front of me.....this is what they are showing for the new Aluminum 2 vs what I was told over the phone by Archie for the older version.

Front to back = 31.5"
Side to side = 35.63"
The tube that fits over the truck ball is 10.5" from the center to the front "Cab" of the truck
From the tube over the bed ball to the gooseneck ball that connects to the KingPin = 5" Off set towards the tailgate
Distance from center of gooseneck ball for the kingpin to the rear of frame is 15.5"
Height of rack - 13" from bed floor to top of gooseball socket
Ball = 3.35" vertical lift for an adjustment of: 16.35 low setting, 17.475" medium setting, 18.60" highest setting...
Original king pin adapter is 4" offset from kingpin connection to Gooseball socket...
Height of adapter is 3" with the ball inserting 2.5" into the socket.
Width of adapter is 6"

Hope this is of help....

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
OK, I'm trying to think this through, I have a question about the stress/load distribution on the Anderson hitch with the gooseneck adapter.

When the trailer is attached to the ball on top of the Anderson hitch and you brake or accelerate, a horizontal stress is put on the hitch. This stress is distributed through the triangular structure down to the bottom base support. On a standard fifth wheel hitch, the base support is attached to rails which is attached to the truck frame. This carries the load. I know on the Anderson hitch, the attachment point is the gooseneck adapter. But the stress is distributed around the rectangular frame of the Anderson hitch. Does that frame fall on any supports in the bed or does it just fall on the standard steel structure of the bed?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Doublegranch

Thanks JohnD....You know I would not hurt your rig!

- - - Updated - - -

The Anderson frame rests on the truck bed floor...but remember as with our new Ram's and other MGF there is a very large metal plate
under the gooseball in the bed. This is attached to the truck frame...so while not completely knowledgeable in this area...I assume the
weight is distributed throughout and remember the "Vertical Crush" of the frame is like 64,000 lbs....5 Fifth wheel RV's on top of each other.
Anderson has never had a claim of failure in 16 years of business.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I wasn't even thinking about how the new fifth wheel prep is structured. There is a giant plate the comes across the frame. I was just thinking about my current RAM and how it is configured. I was just thinking, if you braked really hard and all the weight and inertia was transferred to the front frame of the Anderson hitch and it was just resting on top of what is basically stamped sheet metal with no support under it, wouldn't it just crush that section of the bed floor. But with that large metal support plate under the bed, I can see where it is supported.

Rollin_Free

I have the drawings from Anderson in front of me.....this is what they are showing for the new Aluminum 2 vs what I was told over the phone by Archie for the older version.

Front to back = 31.5"
Side to side = 35.63"
The tube that fits over the truck ball is 10.5" from the center to the front "Cab" of the truck
From the tube over the bed ball to the gooseneck ball that connects to the KingPin = 5" Off set towards the tailgate
Distance from center of gooseneck ball for the kingpin to the rear of frame is 15.5"
Height of rack - 13" from bed floor to top of gooseball socket
Ball = 3.35" vertical lift for an adjustment of: 16.35 low setting, 17.475" medium setting, 18.60" highest setting...
Original king pin adapter is 4" offset from kingpin connection to Gooseball socket...
Height of adapter is 3" with the ball inserting 2.5" into the socket.
Width of adapter is 6"

Hope this is of help....

Yep that's the same dimensions I just got on mine, which is aluminum. I wonder if there is a difference between the dimensions of the metal and aluminum versions or maybe the metal rail one had to be different. I guess if the older aluminum version was revised more than a year ago I have the Aluminum 2 then and all is golden. Thanks

Bones

I still don't see any info on horizontal stress of the framing members just vertical. I would think that this hitch as well as most will see way more horizontal than vertical stresses.

Doublegranch

Bones: Would it be possible that most of the horizontal stress is absorbed by the gooseball and frame plate under the truck bed vs the anderson frame structure?
It appears to be a very substantial system surrounding the truck bed ball....just a thought

Edit:

Another thought....in stopping the force I think would me mostly on the Kingpin ball to the frame...if so then the gooseball on the frame is connected to the gooseball
in the bed and I would think that is where the majority of the stress would occur and not outwards to the Anderson frame.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's my issue also. A small piece of angle iron welded togeher. Just does not look to sturdy from the side impact. The world Trade Center was not suppose to be able to be knocked down the way it was either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk