Anderson Water Switch over valve issue

rwdennis

My anderson switch over valve has gotten very hard to turn , i sprayed wd 40 into it , didnt help , any ideas ?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My anderson switch over valve has gotten very hard to turn , i sprayed wd 40 into it , didnt help , any ideas ?
Is it allowing water to bypass? Maybe one of the o-rings is binding
Maybe it’s drying out.
Regardless, Remove it to inspect and lubricate it with ample plumber’s grease

RoadJunkie

If you haven't already done so, release the water pressure on the valve. I have made a "wrench" using PVC pipe and coupler that is notched out to fit the valve knob. You can also add a PVC "T" coupler to provide additional torque.

rhodies1

You can’t use WD 40. It’s poisonous to humans. You need to use proper grease. Pull out the valve and lubricate it properly.

sengli

Nothing new on this issue. The brass versions need to be taken apart occasionally and re-lubed with the human safe plumbers grease. I used to exercise mine several times a year, just to keep it from seizing up. I also carried with me a spare repair part for it.

LBR

are the plastic valves built so that you can apply plumbers grease to the inside ?
Yes they are. I put a kit into our original 2017 CY and it held for 3 or so years until an O-ring ripped...went to buy another kit from ABCO and were not available. Replaced it with a brass valve.

Dan54

Trying to learn here. What is a water switch over valve?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelin2

are the plastic valves built so that you can apply plumbers grease to the inside ?
The valve has to be removed from the housing to apply plumbers grease to the orings.
Remove the handle. An allen wrench is required to loosen a small set screw on a locking ring. Once that’s done, slowly pull and twist back and forth to remove the valve core
I have had to replace mine but kept the original for replacement orings. They are specifically designed for the valve body.
As others said on other threads, I only turn the valve in a clockwise direction
Here’s a photo

1698321562646.jpeg

travelin2

Is that a broken O ring travellen?
That’s correct. Photo from 2018. Have had another one tear since several years ago but I blame that on operator error. LOL!!
I forgot to relieve the water pressure in the system
Like I said, kept the first one for parts so I have extra orings