Another Flood Story or Don't put off till tomorrow what you need to do today!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Last year after the plastic check valve broke on the back of the water heater and flooded the basement it gave me an excuse to install two manifolds and replumb the basement.

I was going to move outside shower box out of the UDC and put it on the outside wall where it is easier to use but never got around to it. We really don't use it that much so it was on the back burner on the priority list.

We met Pete and Deb Fortin this weekend in NC. While talking with Pete he said he heard water running. Sure enough, the mixer valve on the back of the outside shower split in half and flooded the basement. I had just used the shower for a second and apparently didn't turn off the water, just shut it off at the head until I finished washing my hands.

Lesson learned and remembered-----all the parts and components on these trailers go to the cheapest bidder.

I should have replaced the faucets last year including the outside shower instead of putting it off. Next weeks project-go to plumbing store and buy better faucets and install in trailer.
001.jpg002.jpg

I hope this saves someone's basement from a flood.

caissiel

I did exactly thew same thing to my 2009 shower, and it created a flood in the basemet. I replaced it with a toilet pipe and fittings to suite the shower pipe. Its hard to find the proper bend of the pipe in order that the hose will not kink.

My second flood was the hot water tank upper backflow valve that was cracked and just caused wetness untill it realy failed and flooded the basement. I checked the area for the last 2 years and still got caught. The fitting failing will wet the HW tank support and indicate a slow leak. I replaced it with a brass coupling and now we have plenty of hot water, it had been restricting flow ever since we had the unit. This is the second trailer we did this and I did it to many of my friends but installed a manual shutoff to winterize the unit. We winterize with air so no need for the shut off valve.

PS this fitting has been improved on the new units and I found the fitting on EBay available to replace the obsoleted part.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A backburner project for me is to completely disconnect the outside shower and bypass or deadhead the supply lines to it. I don't use it for anything, especially since the hose is so short and the flow so poor. The utility line off my UDC manifold is all I use to rinse outside. Haven't had a need for hot water for that.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Sorry to hear about that Larry.We had a similar thing happen to us with an outside shower in our previous travel trailer.The rear bedroom floor flooded.It took a couple days of a fan blowing across the carpet and the rear door open to dry it out.Hope you guys are doing ok.

SouthernNights

Kind of what i was thinking about doing John. I still want water on that side of the trailer but dont need hot water. thinking about a 90 degree on/off valve with lock and a quick disconnect for a hose. Just wished I had done it now but the basement is dry again and nothing got ruined. I think i got it dried fast enough where it did not hurt the OSB under the water heater.

SouthernNights

After checking on the price of replacement shower boxes and looking at how they were made, I decided to build my own outside shower.
The pricing ranged from $50.00 to over a $100.00 with not much difference between any of them. They all had plastic valves and plastic mixing valves. Been there done that...

I bought a 3 1/4" mixing valve that was all brass (chrome plated) and a drop down or elbow (some people call them shower head elbows).
had the rest of the stuff
001.jpg

I removed the old shower box and gently-:rolleyes: placed it in the garbage.

I cut a piece of solid surface and mounted the new valve on it:
003.jpg

After mounting the solid surface where the old shower box was, I connected the drop down elbow and installed a quick disconnect.
006.jpg

Total cost was less than $50.00. I have a coiled water hose that I still have to put a male quick disconnect on but got rained out...DARN.

In fairness to HL or any other trailer manufacturer, I imagine they are paying alot less than $50 for the shower boxes they use. it would be nice if the valves were at least brass but that would cost more.
Pretty it's not but probably will last a little longer than the stock one.

I hope this helps someone who may experience the same thing.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the heads up. Good info for preventative purposes.
While looking at these posts, I can't help but think that for a few extra bucks (especially for critical parts, such as plumbing) ,during the building process, none of these stories would be here.
2-3 years is not a very good track record for plumbing parts.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
OK Larry - I guess trading is out of the question now that you have made this great mod. (haha)
N--

jbeletti

Awesome work Larry. Or should I say "Mr. PEX". That's a whole lot of PEX crimps just in the UDC. All done very well I am sure. Made my first ones after the Goshen rally helping Buddy with a repair.

Jim

SouthernNights

Awesome work Larry. Or should I say "Mr. PEX". That's a whole lot of PEX crimps just in the UDC. All done very well I am sure. Made my first ones after the Goshen rally helping Buddy with a repair.

Jim

Once you make your first one, you can't stop yourself...:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Once you make your first one, you can't stop yourself...:D

Kinda like potato chips...bet you can't do one. Even the wife is getting into the act. One of the ladies at the rally mentioned replacing her bedroom curtains and so Dar went and bought some to redo ours. I've got some fake wood trim to finish off the bed platform edges after tiling it. And I've got a water meter to add onto my UDC manifold. It just never ends.