Another leaking valve issue?

TrailCreek

Has anyone had an issue with their plastic HWH bypass valve leaking? (similar to the old Anderson valve issue)

danemayer

Is the leak on the outside of the valve, or is it leaking water into the water heater when bypassed?

TrailCreek

Leaking outside of the valve, but can't see where it's coming from due to foam sealant.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

danemayer

Leaking outside of the valve, but can't see where it's coming from due to foam sealant.

Yours wouldn't be the first about a leaking bypass valve, but it's way less common than problems with the plastic 4-way valve.

TrailCreek

I've already replaced the Anderson valve. New valve is brass. Old one was plastic and leaked. That's why I think it could be the bypass valve, also plastic.

sengli

Mine was over tightened from the factory on my big horn, and had a spiral crack thru the center of the valve body. Ended up calling heartland for a replacement. Couldnt find the replacement at the time on line anywhere. Would just drip every now and then, but it did leak none the less. Found an all brass version from swan industries, but it would have required a lot of plumbing being changed. At the time I wanted a direct replacement to ease the installation.

TrailCreek

I found the leak and it wasn't the bypass valve. One of the anderson valve connections leaked and dripped down on the foam sealant around the bypass valve lower connection. Such a slow leak I didn't see it because of the issue below.

I did find that adding short extensions and quick connections to both black tank flush valves kept water from running down the wet bay wall and on the bypass valve handle. Water that hits that handle can go through the wall and into the area behind the wet bay. I leave the short connections attached and have quick connects on the ends as well as the flush hose. Then a vacuume breaker at the faucet breaks pressure and makes the quick connect removal mostly dry. Always had a back pressure rush before adding the vacuume breaker and the water would run down the wet bay wall, onto the bypass handle, then down the back of the wet bay into the foam and bypass connections, making the leak even harder to find. Would have never found the leak without a Simply Safe water leak detector sitting next to the water pump.