antenna power booster

Flapper

We have just started having trouble with or antenna booster. TV picture is great then kicks off to no signal. When we turn the power booster button off then back on, the picture comes back. Has done this about 6 times in the past 24 hrs. Any ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would pull that booster out and check that all wires and coax are secure.
Before starting I would suggest pulling the fuse that protects that circuit to avoid and shorting.
Be sure to check that the coax is secure in the F-Connectors.
It would also be a good time to pull the antenna crank off the ceiling and check the F-Connectors there.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It is probably a loose connection on one of the many coax connections. If that doesn't work you can get another booster for about $30 and try that.
I've found every connection in my rig to be loose.
But my first test would to be to get a 50' coax cable and run it directly from the boster to the TV, that will tell you if you have any loss signal in-between.

Last edited:

wdk450

I am writing this response as a retired electronics technician.
To try to see if a loose connection on the amplifier, I would try knocking on the surrounding wood wall to cause vibrations in the amplifier assembly. If the problem happens as you are knocking, you have evidence of a faulty connection.
To my mind what you describe sounds like a solid state IC voltage regulator (like a generic part number 7805) on the amplifier circuit board heating up and internally shutting off due to overheat. Cutting the power lets the IC cool enough to start working again when power is re-applied. The power supply IC overheating could be due to a shorted cable connected to the amplifier circuit board.
A new wallplate amplifier isn't that expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-7...455690378&sr=1-3&keywords=winegard+rv+booster