Anti Sway bar for my M21

dplantz

I am picking up my 2010 M21 this weekend and it is my first pull camper. I own a 2002 Toyota Tundra 5.7l v-8 with the factory towing option and hitch
I want to error on the side of safety, I live in Texas and wind blows a lot here.
I am looking at something like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/sway-controls/7369
My questions are:
1. Do I need an anti sway bar?
2. Do I need one for each side? If only 1 which side?
3. Are there others that this forum suggests?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Anto Sway bar for my M21

Assuming you will be using a weight distributing hitch, one of those you linked us to should be fine. When I had a trailer I had it mounted on the right side. No reason but my electric plug is just to the left of the hitch ball so the right side seemed better at the time.
Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family!!!!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

Welcome to the forum.
Yes you need one, it will install on the passenger side probably. I am not sure how much your trailer weighs, but I would highly recomend a weight distribution hitch also. The wdh will keep the truck and trailer level (once you have it adjusted properly) this is essential for safety reasons. If your rig(truck & trailer) is not level you will negatively affect the steering and brakeing performance of your tow vehicle. I assume you also have an electronic brake controller installed in your tow vehicle to operate the trailer brakes?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

dplanz... If you have not yet purchased the stuff you need ( sway bar / weight distribution hitch / prodigy 3 electronic brake controller ) I would suggest either Amazon.com and or Southwest Wheel in Dallas. You can google or Bing Southwest wheel to get their website. Good prices and service. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.... & congrats on the new trailer!

pegmikef

I am picking up my 2010 M21 this weekend and it is my first pull camper. I own a 2002 Toyota Tundra 5.7l v-8 with the factory towing option and hitch
I want to error on the side of safety, I live in Texas and wind blows a lot here.
I am looking at something like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/sway-controls/7369
My questions are:
1. Do I need an anti sway bar?
2. Do I need one for each side? If only 1 which side?
3. Are there others that this forum suggests?

I had a 2011 Edge M21 that I pulled with a Ford F150 Super Crew that had the trailer towing package. I used an EZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch and no sway bar and had virtually no sway, The Edge is light weight and as long as you faithfully adhere to the tongue weight requirements (15 percent of trailer weight) and the hitch ball is at the correct height, you should be fine. The correct height for the EZ-Lift WDH is one eighth inch for each hundred pounds of tongue weight above the ball cup. I use the same WDH now with my F250 to pull my NT and have little or no sway issues and I also live in windy west Texas.

Chumbly

Exactly the setup I'm using... along with the weight dist hitch. Pulling an M21 using a KIA Borrego. It helps some, but a real P.I.T.A. I was told by the salesman, to take it off, once you leave the highway. A sharp turn or turn and rise (like pulling into a gas station), can apparently rip it off and destroy it.

Kbvols

You don't really have to take the sway controll off upon leaving the highway. You can just loosen the tension on the sway bar if in a situation requiring sharp turning or backing.

dplantz

Just bought me a Reese friction unit last night and will install this week. With the lightness of this trailer I think I will be OK