Any Forum Problems in the last Week or So?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, thank you to the forum tech. It is much better this morning. Trace

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I have been unable to click the forum tab on my iPad and get to the forum.. I get a 404 unfounded error instead. Works fine on my laptop.

Kristy

wdk450

Back to slow again. 28 seconds from Portal to Forum tonight. Tried 2 times.
CNET speed test @ 13MBS.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It is so slow I have been going to other forums to read hoping this one will improve.

We have seen a lot better days.

BC

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Yes, we are experiencing various speeds throught out the day and night. Gremlins still there. :(

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
"There are currently 267 users online. 70 members and 197 guests" I sometimes wonder about the accuracy of this. Are there really 197 guests on line at 9:45am EST? But even that number shouldn't slow the system down much.

wdk450

"There are currently 267 users online. 70 members and 197 guests" I sometimes wonder about the accuracy of this. Are there really 197 guests on line at 9:45am EST? But even that number shouldn't slow the system down much.

I (proudly) brought up this question before, thinking LOTS of people are interested in Heartland RV's and looking at the site.
Jim B. replied and said that most of the "Guests" were probably automated internet data "Bots" gathering data.

jnbhobe

Really slows down as the day goes on, bad enough right now that I'll go looking for something else to read. I go nuts waiting for something to happen. ( I don't have far to go already 1/2 nuts anyway)

RollingHome

It's Saturday morning (7/21) in Lancaster, PA. It's raining outside... so... many users and bots are inside on the web. The HL Forum has gotten so slow now that I think I morphed back to a dial up modem... except I am on a "HI SPEED" internet connection. It's logged me off once and changing pages is painfully slow. I'm amazed I am able to post... I can't use the HL Forum like this....

I'm logging off and going to play somewhere else, maybe I'll go out and start to install my 2nd AC unit in the Horn (while the rain has it cool outside) - it's been in the 90's.

Talley Ho :)

linuxkidd

Hello All,
As all of you have observed, there have been intermittent performance issues with the forum for the past few weeks. I've been trying to isolate the source of the problem and while not complete, I wanted to provide the picture as I see it so far.

Observations:
* Overall Server load is much higher than normal ( Load average 15+ vs normally less than 2 )
- The high load process is the web-server itself.
- server logs do *not* show any signs of abnormal behavior
* Server bandwidth lower than normal - Users are unable to browse like they normally do. When performance is good, bandwidth use is higher, so this issue is not bandwidth based.
* About a week ago, one of my own personal servers started exhibiting the same behavior. The server in question is *not* a high load public server. It's one I use for very few hosting needs and is typically not linked or indexed by search engines.

Conclusions:
* I believe this to be a long term, distributed attack by automated machines probing for vulnerabilities in the server software.
* Each probe does not generating much in the way of bandwidth.
* Each probe does generate a tremendous load as the attacker tries to penetrate the server by overloading processes while looking for weakness.

The Wrap Up:
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the probes / attacks, it is very difficult to block from our end. Over the next few days, I'll be working to optimize our server platform in hopes that the extra serving capacity gained from the optimizations allows us to see more normal browsing.

We certainly appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to get things back to normal.
LK

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
If it's any consolation, I read that IRV2.com has slow loading for some users. Perhaps its an attack by anti-RV people?

wdk450

Hello All,
As all of you have observed, there have been intermittent performance issues with the forum for the past few weeks. I've been trying to isolate the source of the problem and while not complete, I wanted to provide the picture as I see it so far.

Observations:
* Overall Server load is much higher than normal ( Load average 15+ vs normally less than 2 )
- The high load process is the web-server itself.
- server logs do *not* show any signs of abnormal behavior
* Server bandwidth lower than normal - Users are unable to browse like they normally do. When performance is good, bandwidth use is higher, so this issue is not bandwidth based.
* About a week ago, one of my own personal servers started exhibiting the same behavior. The server in question is *not* a high load public server. It's one I use for very few hosting needs and is typically not linked or indexed by search engines.

Conclusions:
* I believe this to be a long term, distributed attack by automated machines probing for vulnerabilities in the server software.
* Each probe does not generating much in the way of bandwidth.
* Each probe does generate a tremendous load as the attacker tries to penetrate the server by overloading processes while looking for weakness.

The Wrap Up:
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the probes / attacks, it is very difficult to block from our end. Over the next few days, I'll be working to optimize our server platform in hopes that the extra serving capacity gained from the optimizations allows us to see more normal browsing.

We certainly appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to get things back to normal.
LK

In my ignorance of complex internet software problems, I am going to ask if one of those applications that has you type in the characters from a distorted image presented to you, might help deter the mechanical "guests" during their initial login??