Any known issues?

kb0zke

Some of you will recognize my user name as one that was pretty common a few years ago. Two years ago we bought a Foretravel motor home as our full-time coach because that was the best choice for us at that time. Things change, and we're now considering a towable coach as our next coach, so naturally the coach that first attracted our attention is back on the radar.

What are the known issues for 2005-2010 Bighorns? There are a couple of design ideas in those years that have us wondering what Heartland was thinking, but none of them are deal-breakers.

Gaffer

On Bighorns, LM & BC look for the front compartment (where the generator would be) to have a non vertical front wall when viewing from the side. This modification took place in 2009 I think. This was to allow for reinforcement of the frame at the overhang. Some earlier frames were cracking in this area. Also if the trailer has Towmax or Marathon tires, replace them ASAP. Plenty of threads on this forum about tires if you use the search block. Check the water heater to see if the upper and lower check valves are plastic or brass. If they are plastic, replace them. The upper one is prone to breaking. Again, type "check valve" in the search block for details.
Good Luck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I seem to recall reading about some early Bighorns' slide floors being susceptible to water intrusion on the edges. Check this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To add to Erika's comment, "sound" the floor several inches past the edge, as well. Another owner found severe rot and delamination a distance from the exposed ends.
In the bedroom, check for floor squeaks or "ridges" under the carpet near the nose side of the bed. Those may indicate the front wall welds are bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk