Any problem with the number of dogs?

Shadowchek

Camping with neibors dogs

On my last trip to the the ocean last week it was beautiful. The rear of the Bighorn was backed up 6 feet from the beach with the waves sometimes comming up that far it is unbeatable. Now I am not a dog owner at present due to my busy life I just don't have the proper time to dedicate to being a good dog owner. I do love dogs though. Upon arrival I noticed that my off door side neibors had 3 dogs. You never know how that is going to go. The dogs were very friendly and quiet. The Dog owners were also very friendly and respecfull. It is funny how those 2 things tend to coincide. They were even Montana owners go figure that one out. So everything was fantastic untill the morning of the last full day. On that morning about 11:00 I got a new neibor on my door side where my camp was set up. He was in a nice quad slide motor home I didn't see him when he pulled in. I went outside to cook lunch and all I could hear was a dog barking from inside the motorhome. I took a look around and saw a car trailer but no car. That dog barked continuosly untill when the owner returned at 10 pm that night. I tried to tune it out but it was pretty loud and the camp sites are pretty tight there. It sure made me angry that I had to spend my last full day at the beach listening to that dog barking all day and evening. I just could not believe somone would be that disrepectful. So basically the way I see it it really isn't the quanity (within reason of course) It is all about properly training your dogs and respecting your neibors. If you can't get your dog to act properly don't bring it. I do understand a dog is a dog and will bark some to protect it's teritory and owners but they just need to be somewhat under control. We all pay good money for this Rv experince not to mention the precious time we get to do it. I also greatly enjoy the majority of the dogs I come in contact with rving. I think it enriches the whole experience. Dogs are a huge responsibility even more so in the sometimes tight confines of rving.;)

Greg

Last edited:

linuxkidd

All,
We travel w/ service animals.

A few things to note:
1. Federal law does NOT require service animals have any certification. Anyone 'selling' certifications is taking advantage of the ill informed. Service animals DO need to be 'trained' to help their companion. This training is not required to be done by anyone special. (i.e. You can train your own service dog.)

NOTE: Some state & local laws list a requirement for certification. These laws when challenged in court do not hold up because the Federal law supersedes all state and local laws.

While showing some document that states your animal is a service animal when you are challenged helps YOU quickly conclude the confrontation... You are doing a terrible disservice to others with service animals. This action conditions owners/managers to expect all persons with service animals to produce similar documentation. This is absolutely NOT required by Federal Law.

2. Please do NOT say your animal is a service animal if it's not. This fraud and there are stiff repercussions for misuse of the title 'Service Animal'. Aside from breaking federal law, this action also makes it more difficult on those who have legitimate need for service animals.

Much more information about service animals and the laws pertaining to them can be found HERE.
(Warning: the site is not very well formatted.. and uses HUGE fonts.. But, the information is VERY good.)

For the record, we've never had any problem in our travels that required us to disclose that our animals were 'service animals'.

Hope this helps,
LK

We have had problems at some campgrounds. The real problem is some pet owners do not pick up after their pets. Which is crazy. They make it harder for the rest of us with pets. How many times have you walked around and seen pet ****??? I think it is a small pet owner problem. They think their dog is little, so it's okay.

Many campgrounds are changing to a two pet only rule. Makes it hard doesn't it??

dancer

egnor's much better half
well i dont fit in.. i dont have a yorkie but i was wondering the same thing. the dogs we will have with us are just a hair bigger than a yorkie.. .. ..

i know they can be loud, but im wondering if i left the tv on and crated the pup if it would keep the disturbance down... i dont plan on leaving them often but just incase its good to know.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I don't have dogs, but having experienced some people's kids at campgrounds (and their bonehead parents), I'd prefer to be near your 3 dogs.

That comment just made my day. DH and I are trying to figure out how we can sneak into those wonderful 45+ parks we've read about. Maybe a don't ask, don't tell policy. :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That comment just made my day. DH and I are trying to figure out how we can sneak into those wonderful 45+ parks we've read about. Maybe a don't ask, don't tell policy. :)

Try fake white beards and wigs. Only put the beard on Eric unless you want them to think you're circus people.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have 2 Yorkies, one 7lbs and one 14lbs and a parrot and have never been denied access to a CG because of our pets.

For the OP, as others have already stated, it boils down to common sense in the handling of your pets, as to whether it is a problem or not.

I know this is a old thread, but a comment was made about "service dogs"................

I was under the impression that "service dogs" had to pass in person classes and testing to be legit. We have friends with true service dogs and that was the case.
The fact that anyone can buy a mail order certification of "service dog" for their pet, ruins the legitimacy of the whole service dog program for those who do it correctly IMHO . Trace

rvn4fun

We work in the summer at a rv camp that now allows no dogs. The owner finally had enough of nonresponsible owners. We are snowbirds and winter down south at a rv park that allows no dogs. We like animals but we get enough of irresponsible owners when we go for walks and come back with dirty shoes. We do know there is movements a foot to limit animals to one per unit and or a stiff monthly deposit on your animals. If other campers hear barking or witness, not picking up, they will be asked to leave the rv park and there deposit forfeited. In our neighboring park this winter someone took their animals into the shower and caused quite a mess, campground owners really upset over it. It just never seems to quit, some people wreck it for everyone. When we were traveling this year in Arizona we stopped at a rv park and asked if we had any pets we said we had one cat but it wouldn't be out of the rv as we were just staying for the night. We were told to keep moving as they allowed no pets.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Number of dogs in MO. State Parks

When I called to ask about a reservation in our current park, I asked about their rule regarding "No dogs over 40#". I was ready to keep on looking but thought why not ask. I described Suzi and they said she would not be a problem, come on in. Once here, we were surprised to find at least a dozen or more dogs over that 40# limit.
What I was really surprised about, since we've been here I have not seen one pile of poop left on the ground. Everyone here is very diligent about picking up after their dogs. It's not often you see that anywhere.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The park we are staying at right now has several dogs I see outside 'leash free' from time to time, especially two puppies in the sight several down from us. I have not seen any 'piles' though. I think alot has to do with how vigilant the park owners/managers are in enforcing the rules.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The campground we stay at over the summer doesn't seem to have a doggy problem. Folks normally walk them along the roads and pick up after them. They also have a dog play area, although I don't see too many folks using that. I did have to admonish one young couple for walking their large dog behind our trailer last summer, though. Traipsing through other folks sites is definitely something to be frowned on.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Our 55+ community here in South Texas, does not dictate breed or size, but does strictly enforce the two dog per lot rule. This applies to both RV lot and home owners, and also extends to renters. Has worked very well for us and we too have NO problem with people cleaning up after their pets.

eyespy

I travel with 7 shetland sheepdogs however they are show dogs.
I would recommend on purchasing puppy pens, this enables your animals to toilet and play within a retricted area.
Personnal hates is watching other people spoiling it for the good people and not picking up after there pets plus allowing there pets to roam.

Lorelle and Peter Goodman
New Zealand
2012 North Trial Focus Edition FX23