Anyone used a HawksHead TPMS?

jnbhobe

I have the TST with the 5yr batteries, no need for a booster. I am told the new TST with replaceable batteries have a short life span of about 9 to 12 mounths.

gpshemi

Got a couple dumb questions.

1) What do the sensors weigh? Don't they throw the wheel out of balance to some degree?

2) Anyone use these in conjunction with Dynabeads? Seems like the balls might beat up the sensors over time.

BobSue

I have had the TST system for 1.5 years now. (Not the new 507 model)
When it is working; it works very well. With the supplied extra "T" antenna, I can usually even get the signal from my BH spare tire. It does lose that signal occasionally. I have not been able to figure out a pattern.

I found the temperature signal to be worthless. With the sensors sitting out in the air and moving around with the tires; I doubt you are really sensing any thing but ambient air temperature. I have seen signals from 20 deg to 130 deg depending only on what the air temperature was. I ended up having to raise the alarm points to something absurd to keep from having alarms whenever the sensors were in the sun.

All that said: I have gone through two display units now. They work for months, then suddenly stop working or work intermittently. It looks to me like some problem with the battery charging circuit in the unit. TST has replaced both units without question. I just returned the unit and they sent me a new one. This third one will hopefully last beyond my 2 year warranty. If it fails in a few months, I doubt I will get another TST system because of the unreliability.

The provided clip to mount to the air conditioner vent is worthless. I added velcro and stuck it to the top of my dash. Works great and is much more readable.

The new mounting system on the 507 looks like it would work better; but sticking it on the windshield will put it much further from my old eyes. I imagine I would still stick it to the top of the dash board.

But I won't be without a TPMS.

caissiel

Just got my HH in the mail today
Here is a pic of the sensor on the wheel.

Attachments

• HH Pressue Sensor.JPG
    HH Pressue Sensor.JPG
    778.9 KB · Views: 67

caissiel

I just did the installation. takes all of 5 minutes to set them on.
Its in the 40's outside and the pressure indication has gone up by 5 PSI to 114.4PSI from around 110PSI at room temperature.
With the sensors at Room Temp the gauge pressure was similar.

Last edited:

floridarandy

FYI - Just purchased 8 sensor STS #507 system (4 TV plus 4 Rig). Not sure how long this will last but they are offering the #507 system (replaceable batteries) for the price of the #510 system (5 year battery) and a 3 year warranty....not sure but I think the standard warranty was 1 year. Great deal on price too...call them to find out what you need.

Northern Virginia
I decided to go with the Hawkshead. Thanks to all who posted. I like the look and features of the HH but most importantly, no bad reviews here!

I'll post my own review here after a road trip down to VMI next week.

John

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Doran TPMS and just had an issue with a sensor on one of the wheels. I talked to Doran customer service about it and they told me to ship it back. They checked it, found it to be defective and sent me a new one even though I was about a month out of warranty. Great customer service. Don't know how the customer service is on the Hawkshead TPMS

jimpav

I received the HH system about a week ago and decided to put the 4 sensors on my daily work vehicle to see how they work. After 1 week of running them, here's what I've discovered:
1) On the way home yesterday I received a "NOS" indication for one of the tires. This indicated a loss of communication from the sensor due to it falling off the wheel or other factors. It seems later to have corrected itself. (strange)
2) The temperature/pressure readings are NOT real time (for the most part). For instance, the temp this morning on a 1 hour commute was consistantly about 9 degrees F. Upon arriving at work it was still 9 F. The temp/pressure readings were still like they were yesterday afternoon. Here are the temp readings: 29, 37, 29, 18. If the readings were a little closer to 9 degrees, i'd believe them. A previous call to the company suggested that to get a "real time" reading, you should loosen a sensor untill it blinks RED on the monitor , and then screw it back in for an accurate "real time" reading. Upon doing this to one of the tires that read 29 degrees, it only changed to 22 degrees.....only a 7 degree difference. The external tire temp as measured with a calibrated IR thremometer was 16 degrees. That's a 6 degree difference, roughly as it could be a couple degrees waarmer inside the tire. Bottom line is that IF you want real time readings, you have to unscrew the sensor to reindex it and then get an actual reading. Kind of hard to do that going down the highway...............The same applies to the pressure readings. So is this ~$200 unit a glorified tire gage????? I think the real purpose of the unit is to give alarms for either over or under gross pressure/temp readings. If you keep that intention in mind, then it's probably worth it.

caissiel

I was at Camping world and I bought 2 additional units for $74.00.
They are the same product under a different name.

While traveling south I got a lost sensor messages on one wheel and changed the battery in the sensor and now no more sensor communication message.

My sensor pressure is of a bit off from my digital gauge 110 on the gauge and 114 on the sensors.

Its true that temperature readings can only measure the ambiant temperature. I think it can only measure what it feels and air from the tire has to be present at the unit , meaning air from the tire has to pass by the unit when reinstalled.

Mine seam to indicate the ambiant temperature outside while the rim would be at the same temperature. I have steel stems on my rims and it would transfer the temperature much more accurately on these compared to the rubber ones.

I also bought the booster and its not required on my setup because I drive away with the truck and I can be 200 ft away and still get the display of all 4 wheels on the trailer.

I looked at Wally World for the batteries and they have none on the shelves. Might need a battery store to get them or internet.
I feel it will get the valve stem temperature and if its steel it will transfer better then when its rubber.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In my limited research on TPMS systems, I was under the impression that they all recommended/required steel stems rather than rubber.

caissiel

The small HH can be installed on rubber stems, because they are so light. But its recommended to be installed on steel stems.