Anyone worried about 13'3" height hitting something

rocrider50

I have been RV'ing for years with a trailer that is 11' 4" tall. I never worried about hitting anything, it seemed to clear everything. Now I have my 2017 Cyclone 3800 and what's the first thing I did? I hit a tree branch on my way into my driveway ( a driveway that was fine with my old 11'4" trailer) and had to take it immediately to a repair shop. $10k latter, I don't want to repeat that issue.....so? I have been watching signs on my commute and notice the number of bridges that are at 12'4' or less than 13'3" at any rate.

This has me a bit nervous for my long trip out west this year. We are planning a 4600 mile journey from Detroit to Yellowstone and Glacier parks. I'm bound to hit something. Aside from making myself a nervous wreck constantly looking for low bridges is there something I can do? How do long haul truckers do it? Well, I do see the occasional funny pic that they hit something.....but I don't want to join them. Is there an app or something they use to warn them?

Has no one encountered this problem? It's not just a small worry. I live in a Detroit suburb and can head out in four directions, two have low bridges.

Roller4tan

Get a GPS designed for RVs or Truckers. Height data can be inputted and routing will be truck routes. Also get a truckers atlas which shows truck routes around towns and bridge heights along you route. Highways are the safest routes, but sometimes less scenic.

danemayer

Garmin 760LMT GPS will solve the problem for you by routing you appropriately for the configuration you put into the GPS. Use a Rand McNally Trucker Atlas for backup.

tlassen

We used a truckers guide and it listed all highway restrictions on truck routes. Most western states are good but tunnels can be problematic. Usually low clearances are marked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

If the trucks can go you can go, 13'6" is the minimum for federal hiways. I am always looking up !!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't stop looking up! Sometimes trees overhang the roadway, or even in RV parks, along the inner roads and at the corners of your site... and they can bite ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Btw, Garmin just announced a new GPS:

We’ve Taken RV Navigation to a Whole New LevelView Online
Garmin

Introducing the RV 770 LMT-S Navigator

Whether you own an RV, or plan to rent one for your next big road trip, you’ll want an RV-dedicated navigator to guide your adventure. While your current Garmin navigator is excellent for your car, the RV 770 LMT-S is a dedicated RV navigator with a large 6.95" edge-to-edge touchscreen and RV-specific features, including custom RV routing¹ (based on the size and weight of your RV or towable trailer) and a searchable directory of RV parks and services. It also includes live traffic² and helpful road warnings for bridge heights, weight limits, sharp curves, steep grades and more.

Learn More

Ratings for TripAdvisor points of interest

Free live traffic² and helpful driver alerts

LiveTrack lets friends track your journey

TwitterFacebookYouTubeInstagramPinterestRSS

¹Not available in all areas. Entering your vehicle’s profile characteristics does not guarantee that your vehicle’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions.

²To access live information, you must download the free Smartphone Link app. User’s data plan charges, if any, will apply. Requires Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.

2017 TripAdvisor LLC. All rights reserved.

Garmin respects your right to privacy. To learn more, please review our Privacy Policy. This email is an advertisement. If you no longer wish to receive Garmin promotional emails, you can unsubscribe at any time.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Visit support.garmin.com for help with your product.

2017 Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. Garmin International, 1200 E. 151st Street, Olathe, KS 66062

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asherwin

My rig measures out at 13'2". I use the Rand McNally RV GPS which contains Rand McNally's trucker routing data. While not too concerned on major routes I do look up when on tree lined roads and in campgrounds.

Rodbuster

Also, a "Very Important" point about a GPS.
Do not put 100% of your trust in the route that "any" GPS has selected for you.

I found out the hard way.

Dick

mlpeloquin

My rig measures out at 13'2". I use the Rand McNally RV GPS which contains Rand McNally's trucker routing data. While not too concerned on major routes I do look up when on tree lined roads and in campgrounds.

I also have the RV Rand McNally GPS, but it doesn't have all the clearance data in it.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
There is a website called lowclearance.com that has an extensive (for pay) database. I downloaded the POIs for my Garmin, but have not put it to the test yet. It is supposedly the largest collection of clearances out there.

You've taught yourself a very valuable lesson. One you most likely won't forget. I've been running LTL city routes up and down I-5 in western Washington for 10 years. My genius company sends me on residential deliveries in my 13'6" 48' trailer. Interstates, highways and the lion's share of city streets will be of no issue. Residential streets and back roads are where you'll run into issues. Vigilance for clearance signs and low hanging items will be your best friend. Low clearance bridges are usually marked before you get into trouble. Trees on the other hand are not. Same with low hanging wires. A GPS will not inform you of wires or trees. I'm not saying don't get one I'm just saying you're most likely good to go from here on out because you have learned your lesson.