I Learned Something New About the Dometic Duo-Therm AC Today

wdk450

Gang:
Today was a HOT learning day. My outside thermometer read 110 degrees in the front overhang shade. The Duo-Therm couldn't keep up, but at least did not blow the breaker, like it had previously. I swapped the main AC double breaker with the unused (option) bedroom AC breaker. Anyways, in the midst of the afternoon heat, it started getting warmer and warmer inside (it hit 91 degrees at highest), then I suddenly note that I am no longer hearing the low rumble of the compressor. I do the input and outgoing measurements of the AC air flows and get 94 and 86 respectively. About a half hour later I heard the low compressor rumble, and the outgoing air was down to 76.

I read up in the Dometic manual on the compressor "overload" device and learn that it is a thermal cutout switch. Now my rig is 10 years old, and I am guessing that the AC probably needs to be replaced although it still pretty much works. But the big fact I wanted to share is that if the outside temperature gets too high, and thus the compressor gets to hot, the cutout opens the compressor current, and THE AC STOPS COOLING!!!
I did go up on the roof previously, and mounted a fan on the AC shroud blowing in on the AC compressor, to try to keep it cooler.

A new AC unit may be in next month's budget.