AT&T Mobley Hotspot

crussian

Hi All - trying to figure out why I can't connect to the AT&T network with my Mobley device. I purchased the Mobley and the USB interface. I do get a power light on, but no light for the network. Long story short, when I got the Mobley, created an AT&T account, they sent me a SIM card to use in the Mobley. In speaking with AT&T techs I haven't gotten a solution yet. Novatech (who I bought the Mobley from), said I need an Access Point Name. Okay, now chatting with AT&T again. No joy so far. My Mobley is connected to my laptop via USB. My laptop is not recognizing it at all. So I Have no way to interface with the device.

Anyone been successful connecting to the network?

Thanks in advance.

C&J

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you on Facebook? There is a great page called "Internet for RVers" that has a long post specifically about Mobley. Maybe they can help you there. Also check out www.RVmobileinternet.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crussian

Are you on Facebook? There is a great page called "Internet for RVers" that has a long post specifically about Mobley. Maybe they can help you there. Also check out www.RVmobileinternet.com

Yes, on there now. No response just yet. Was hoping someone on here had success at connecting to the AT&T network and maybe point out a step I am missing.

Thanks
C&J

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm not sure many or any have used a Mobley. We have one but I bought from AT&T (already a customer) and it came activated, so I am no help, sorry!

wdk450

Go in to an ATT store with all your stuff - Even if you didn't buy it from them they should help you to get it to work.

Oregon_Camper

Just curious why you bought the Mobley device vs standard hotspot?

I don't see the need to use the OBD-II in my automobile to power a hotspot.

If I were you, I would simply return it and get a standard hotspot. Then you can take it anywhere....that is what we do.

crussian

Just curious why you bought the Mobley device vs standard hotspot?

I don't see the need to use the OBD-II in my automobile to power a hotspot.

If I were you, I would simply return it and get a standard hotspot. Then you can take it anywhere....that is what we do.

I got it because we will be traveling and it was $20 a month for 22GB. They've sold out of the devices several times. Once I have connectivity I can use my USB in the truck to power it and I won't need to plug in to anything else. USB in the trailer as well.

C&J

Oregon_Camper

I got it because we will be traveling and it was $20 a month for 22GB. They've sold out of the devices several times. Once I have connectivity I can use my USB in the truck to power it and I won't need to plug in to anything else. USB in the trailer as well.

C&J

Do you happen to know anyone with a normal AT&T hotspot? I'd pop the SIMM out of the Mobley and put in a different (ie..normal) hotspot device.

I'm guessing it will work just fine. If so...grab an AT&T hotspot on ebay and toss the OBD-II device in the glove box...never to see the light of day again. :)

Heck...even an old phone will work to test the SIMM. Just insert the SIMM...power on phone and navigate to "enable hotspot". :)

danemayer

Hi All - trying to figure out why I can't connect to the AT&T network with my Mobley device. ....... My Mobley is connected to my laptop via USB. My laptop is not recognizing it at all. So I Have no way to interface with the device.

Assuming the USB connection is just providing power, I'd think the Mobley has to 1) create a hotspot, and 2) connect to AT&T. Your laptop has to connect to the Mobley hotspot.

If you check the WiFi hotspot choices on your laptop, do you not see the Mobley?

crussian

Nope, the network light never came on. So, was told i need tbe access point name (APN). Cant login to it so i have no way of changing settings. Novatech is working the issue now. Confident theyll find a solution.

C&J

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

crussian

Your device isn't an OBD-II device, that seconds as a hotspot? I've seen them for sale in Bestbuy.

Looks like this. The primary job of an OBD-II device is to read canbus data from the ECU (engine compute unit).

View attachment 54513

It uses the OBD-II bus for power. Doesnt do any vehicle diags or anything. Why they designed it to interface there, not sure, but now there is an adapter that allows you to plug into the common USB ports. Lots of folks swear by them. That's why I jumpted. 22GB for $20 was hard to ignore.

C&J

Alan_B

Do you happen to know anyone with a normal AT&T hotspot? I'd pop the SIMM out of the Mobley and put in a different (ie..normal) hotspot device.

I'm guessing it will work just fine. If so...grab an AT&T hotspot on ebay and toss the OBD-II device in the glove box...never to see the light of day again. :)

Heck...even an old phone will work to test the SIMM. Just insert the SIMM...power on phone and navigate to "enable hotspot". :)

Thats my plan if I am ever able to buy a Mobley. I woke up to this deal a few months too late.

crussian

Found out what the issue is, tge documentation for Mobley did not have the password for the Mobley network (re: SSID). Tried attadmin, etc, nada. Cant log on to the device. Novatech is calling Mobley manufacturer to get it. Will pist once i have it.

Oregon_Camper

Found out what the issue is, tge documentation for Mobley did not have the password for the Mobley network (re: SSID). Tried attadmin, etc, nada. Cant log on to the device. Novatech is calling Mobley manufacturer to get it. Will pist once i have it.

Have you tried this"

From the manual...

You can reset the mobile hotspot to its factory settings on themobile hotspot itself or on the full AT&T Wi-Fi Manager home page.(This is useful if you have lost your Administrator login for theAT&T Wi-Fi Manager home page.)

Notes:
• If you reset the modem to factory settings, all of yourcustomization will be lost.
• When you reset the mobile hotspot, any currently connecteddevices will lose access and will have to be reconnected after themobile hotspot restarts.

On the mobile hotspot:
• Press and hold the Reset Key until the LED 1 indicator turns red(about 7 seconds).
• After the device has reset, reconnect Wi-Fi devices.
• On the full AT&T Wi-Fi Manager home page:Log in as Administrator.
• Click Settings on the navigation menu on the left side.Click Advanced Device Reset. Click Reset.

Here is the link to the actual PDF
https://d28dq596ebml6z.cloudfront.n...Mobley_User_Guide_English_-_PDF_-_10.6MB_.pdf

AFMagnum

My Mobley came with a sticker on the back that says what the SSID is, and admin login info. You should be able to figure out the SSID by looking at what networks are available before and after you power on the Mobley.

danemayer

Well, it'll be interesting to see if that's the problem. Since you said your laptop didn't even see a WiFi network SSID created by the Mobley, it doesn't seem like a password would help. The way you've described the issue, you need a fix that will cause the Mobley to generate a local WiFi network. As Oregon_Camper suggested, you might try resetting the device to factory defaults.

A typical operation would be that on power up, the device would always create a local WiFi so you can connect your laptop or other devices. And it would also attempt to connect to the AT&T cell network so you can get onto the internet. But since there will always be times where there's no AT&T signal, it seems unlikely that the device would first have to first connect to AT&T (and Mobley?) before generating the local WiFi. Designing it that way would just make it hard to diagnose connectivity issues.

But who knows.

Btw, as many people have found out in the past with really attractive pricing of cell data plans, the cell vendors usually catch on within a short time and make adjustments so it's not a substitute for their more expensive plans. They probably priced this for use in cars thinking that very few people would ever get near the data limit. Once enough people use the USB adapter to consume a lot of data at a lower cost, count on AT&T figuring it out and taking corrective action.