ATF: Big Country - Frame/Pinbox Flex

yycmike

BC3596RE

VIN: 5SFBG4122DE255475

When I lower the coach (after hitching) onto the tow vehicle I can see the frame flex about 1/2 inch or so between the pinbox and the top of the front compartment. Also when travelling I can see this movement between these points, especially when going over bumps in the road.

Is this normal?

danemayer

Hi yycmike,

On Monday, why don't you take some pictures and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 with your Vin #. They'll probably ask you to email the pictures, and if you've got them ready to go, you might be able to discuss the pictures on that same call.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The pinbox has to have some flex. As with all metal frames, if it does not flex a little it will break. Even wings on airplanes flex up and down some and bridges have to flex. Our Horn pinbox flex's up and down while driving and has been doing so for 5 years now.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you have caulking that separates, or gaps between parts when hitched, then yes, this may be too much flex.

Take pictures before and after hitching. And contact Heartland. Some flex is ok, but some is not. They are experts and can determine if you have a real problem or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yycmike

Thanks everyone for the responses. There are no signs of cracking or gaps so I don't believe anything has failed or broken on the frame. I guess I just needed some assurance the slight flex during hitching/ unhitching and while travelling was normal.

I will monitor for cracks etc and if that occurs will contact Heartland. Just a bit skitish with all the issues around the Lipert frames...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It doesn't hurt to be proactive! You can still take pics and talk to Heartland, then if it develops into a problem later, (out of warranty), you have something in your "file" with HL that says you were seeing it in its earlier stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had flex on the front also. Caulk was separating on the ODS. Heartland fixed it. The surface behind the pin box had rotted. Keep a close check on the caulking.

BC

whanner

This happened to a 2007 Forest River product we owned. Lippert had a frame issue back then on some units. Forest River had the unit shipped back and they had to remove one side of the 5th wheel and repair the frame. Ours would separate the trim from the caulk line (where the outer wall meets the underside area where the truck bed is) every time we put it on the truck. It would move almost a half inch. Keep an eye on those caulk lines when hitched up vs on the jacks.....it can tell you a lot :)