ATF: Big Country - Landing gear replacement rocker switch wiring question....

ParkIt

Have to subscribe, need to call to get a replacement switch as well. Was wondering about the front switch being exposed and thought to attach a clear outdoor outlet cover on it but I'll check to see if they have ones specific to HL.
Thanks for all the posts, it will come in handy.

SilverRhino

Received an eMail from HL this afternoon. They are going to send me the correct replacement harness for my coach. The harnes that is pictured in the first post of this thread is what I had received.......It has the Blue-Green-Yellow & Red 18 gauge wires. My original had 10 gauge wire with a Black-Black-Pink & Red color scheme, which is what HL is going to send me.

I did obtain a plastic compartment from a Big Horn to install on the front of my BC so that the switch will have protection from the elements.

I tried all afternoon to post pictures of these items.......No success!! Don't know what I am doing wrong....never had problems before. If you are interested in the photos....eMail me at randyrck@yahoo.com and I will send them to you.

Photos are now posted-----See Post#24 of this Thread

Travel Safe!

Last edited:

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Sooo, long story short.....guess I will be sending my (wrong) replacement switch back to HL. :(

Randy, thanks for all your "legwork"!!

Lance

SilverRhino

Today for some reason.......I was able to attach photos.

Attached are photos of:

1) Side by side comparison of the size of the wire in the two different harnesses
2) Side by side comparison of the two switches
3) Original switch that was OEM on the 2010 Big Country
4) Side view of switch compartment
5) Front view of switch compartment, door in open position
6) Front view of switch compartment, door in closed position

I hope these photos help. As I stated on the HLOF, the correct harness and switch for my unit is the one with the 10 gauge wiring. My coach is a 2010 Big Country 3250ts with electric front jacks.

Attachments

• bcs6.jpg
    bcs6.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 43
  • bcs5.jpg
    bcs5.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 45
  • bcs4.jpg
    bcs4.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 42
  • bcs3.jpg
    bcs3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 44
  • bcs2.jpg
    bcs2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 45
  • bcs1.jpg
    bcs1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

TedS

I'm guessing the wrong switch and harness is for the hydraulic landing leg system. The wrong switch looks like the one on our trailer which has hydraulic landing gear.
Glad you have the mixup fixed, or about to be fixed.

lduguay

Yep, as they say in the video production business......."That's a WRAP!!!" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics and sage wisdom Randy!!

Lance

SilverRhino

The "Big Brown Truck" just delivered a package from HL......Yes......Inside the box was a 10gauge, Black-Black-Pink & Red wiring harness for my front landing gear. Now I don't know about others.....but I think it is great service when it takes exactly five working days from calling with problem to having the solution in hand!

I want to publicly thank David Hilliker, a Mid-West HL Service Rep for taking care of my issue in such a timely manner! This service is even more amazing considering HL was also hosting a National Owners event during this same time period!

Thanks for the Great Service!

Travel Safe!

lduguay

FINALLY!!!

After waiting, going back and forth with National RV Detroit, getting lots of "excuses" as to why it is now August and still no replacement switch.......I called HL customer service directly, talked with Eric, and 5 days later I have the NEW & IMPROVED LG rocker switch in my procession.

My bad for waiting so long before contacting HL directly.......I just believed the dealer would git er dun!! THANK YOU Heartland CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!! :)

The new rocker seems much sturdier than the original. I have already added the "box" like SilverRhino and will install new, hopefully working, switch this evening!! Thank the good Lord that the remote has done the job since our purchase in February!!! It would have been a bit noisy dragging the BC with the landing gear DOWN!!! :rolleyes:

LGswitch.JPG

So as I said in #26 prematurely........ "That's a WRAP!!!!!!" :D

Last edited:

lduguay

What now!!??

I installed new switch.....wire to wire like previous switch....turned on battery connect, hit switch.....and
NOTHING!!! Rechecked wiring connections, fuses are good, no breakers off, checked all known micro
breakers.......what have I missed!!??

HELP!!!

Signed,

Frustrated

B

bwwalczak

Please call Heartland customer service at 574-266-8726. They will help you troubleshoot.

lduguay

Thanks Bryan,

I will do so tomorrow......I only have so much hair left to pull out:rolleyes:

I'm sure I am missing something really simple. I am 99.9% sure I rewired correctly, but am 2nd guessing myself now!

Lance

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Lance, I've got test light and volt/ohm meter. If you need help. let me know. We don't live too far apart. Sometimes two heads are better than one. I'll bet we can solve it.
Phil

lduguay

Hey Phil,

That will be awesome! I have a call into HL cust service per the Bryan W suggestion. If you would fire me a PM with your cell number, I will give you a shout after I hear from HL.

I wonder how I would have "survived" without a resource like this forum......and to think I almost bought SOB!!!!!! Thank YOU HL Forum!!!!

Lance

lduguay

Ryan from HL Customer Service just called and we may have the answer.

Apparently the Landing Gear switch has a "thermal breaker" that is an "auto" breaker (no reset button) and the more it resets, the weaker it gets. That explains why the switch was "working" less & less frequently.....it (thermal breaker) finally "wore out". It is separate from the remote, so the remote will work while the front LG switch will not.

I will update once I replace the thermal breaker and hopefully this thread will save someone else a lot of frustration in the future!!

Thank you HL and Forum!!!

Lance

Pic of Thermal Breakers in battery compartment.....some have manual reset buttons, others, like the LG have auto.

breakers.jpg

Attachments

• breakers.pdf
    329.5 KB · Views: 18

Pannell

Let me know if you need any help Lance. I really hate the location of the switch, I was just looking about re-locating mine, my old Silver Back had it in the hydralic equipment compartment, nice and dry and behind a locked door. Guess I have a new project this weekend.

lduguay

IT IS FINISHED!!!

New switch, new thermal breaker and new 30A fuse......all wires re-stashed and we have a landing gear switch that WORKS without the remote!!

Gosh, what can I tinker with now??? :D