ATF: Big Country - Roll Around Island

GatoGordo

I recently purchased a 2013 Big Country Gold 3251TS from La Mesa RV in Tucson, AZ.
When I took delivery of the unit, their service people were unable to tell me how to properly stow the roll around island for travel.
Completely disgusted with their ineptitude, I secured it to suit myself and proceeded home.
As I have been unable to locate any instructions/diagrams I would very much like to see your recommendations before I make any trips.
I would not like to see my guesswork and ineptitude result in damage to my new unit.

B

bwwalczak

The easiest way to answer your question is:

1 - make sure each wheel brake is locked before moving.
2 - Make sure at least three of the safety straps are locked onto the island and the clips on the floor. There are several clips provided. It is easiest to do the back clips with the slides out, and the other clips with the slides in.

I trust this helps.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
The easiest way to answer your question is:

1 - make sure each wheel brake is locked before moving.
2 - Make sure at least three of the safety straps are locked onto the island and the clips on the floor. There are several clips provided. It is easiest to do the back clips with the slides out, and the other clips with the slides in.

I trust this helps.

And if this doesn't work, get Brian Coyle to come move the island. He did a FINE demonstration at the Tampa Show for us.......of course the wheels were locked!! Brian, I hope your back has recovered!! smiley-face-grin.jpg

GatoGordo

Thanks to all who answered. What you described is exactly what I did. I just wanted to make sure I did it correctly. That island would certainly do a lot of damage if it started moving around by itself. I will be much more comfortable now when driving. :angel:Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down. May your travels be always be a pleasure.

jnbhobe

How do you guys like the 3251ts. my dw is very excited to see one up our way. we may be in the market for one soon.

All right Shawn and Billie Jo, new toys for us to tour !! Might as well get a new F-350 CC to match. Se ya at the NY rally if not before.

bwc1950

I really like the design layout of the 3251TS....the only thing I do not like is the roll around island. Is it possible to have it permanently mounted during the build at the factory?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Thats some you could ask CS at HL. They might have to be movable to close the slides. Just thinking out load.

Theresau

We have one on order. The moveable slide was one of the main the reasons we ordered this model - you can design the kitchen as you like - even change direction of slide if needed, the island will not interfere with entering the trailer as would be the case if it were permanently mounted (we like to stop at rest stops and use dinette and refrigerator) and the sink is not in the island (nor will the dirty dishes be...... :)) - would rather have these against the wall.

It is my understanding that the clips are on both sides of the slides and in front of the rear sofa - in other words, it would be stowed in the rear.

We'll be at the Goshen rally - should have it with us then.

We have a Bighorn now - Brian, I think you've done just a great job on the designs of the new Big Country's reason we went with such.

Regards,
Theresa

Milton_and_PeggySue

We recently bought a BC 3251TS and found out, thru the forum, that some of the lights operate only with the remote. We didn't get a light remote when we picked it up. I called La Mesa RV- West Palm Beach to make them aware of this so they could order it. Hopefully we'll get it when we go in for service next week. Did everyone else get their remote?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Did you look for the remote in the blue bag that contains all the documents?

Peace
Dave

Milton_and_PeggySue

Yes, that was the first place I looked. We've hunted thru all of the drawers and cabinets for it. I wanted to make pretty sure that it wasn't hiding somewhere in the unit prior to making the phone call to La Mesa.

mikeyy53

I wonder if this is the same movable island that we have in our 2013 Gateway. During our PDI the dealer said that only one strap was used during traveling, but using 3 makes more sense. we run 1 strap from the area between the dining table and out side couch to just in front of the fireplace. Where do the other 2 go?

Milton_and_PeggySue

Yes, that was the first place I looked. We've hunted thru all of the drawers and cabinets for it. I wanted to make pretty sure that it wasn't hiding somewhere in the unit prior to making the phone call to La Mesa.
We contacted La Mesa RV today, who contacted Heartland. While looking for "the brain" of the system to get the number in order to get a new remote, we found the original remote in a very secret place. I had the help of Heartland to look for "the brain" in the unit. If I hadn't been looking in this odd place I never would have found it. Thanks, Heartland.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Soo.......inquiring minds want to know. Where is this "very secret place"?
Knowing this may help someone in the future.

Peace
Dave

Milton_and_PeggySue

The very secret place is the shallow cupboard above the light control panel; it was in the back corner of that cupboard. The funny thing is that I had already filled that cupboard with ETOH. We only found it because everything had to come out of that cupboard in order to look behind it for "the brain".

Theresau

Is that the right-hand cupboard over the sink (we have a 3251 TS on order). Not sure what you mean by the "brain."
"

Milton_and_PeggySue

The very secret place is the shallow cupboard above the light control panel; it was in the back corner of that cupboard. The funny thing is that I had already filled that cupboard with ETOH. We only found it because everything had to come out of that cupboard in order to look behind it for "the brain".
Yes, the right-hand cupboard over the sink, just above the light control panel. The "brain" is the motherboard of the computer system for the coach. You should see all of the wires that lead from that spot! The shelf above that control panel is shallow, perfect for small bottles of whatever.