ATF: Big Country - Spare tire lift mech.

Bob Vaughn

Yesterday I was R & R my spare tire. As my wife turned the crank I was underneath guiding the tire into place and the plastic sides started to open and pieces of metal started to fall out. A total of four pieces came out and when placed together they make what appears to be a flange. We were able to get the spare back up and into place. I hope I do not need the spare before I can get this taken care of......//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23748&d=1365254263&thumb=1

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm a little concerned about our spare tire lift as well Bob. I didn't have any parts falling out but when the tire reached the travel position, the crank would still turn. I don't know if it's supposed to do that.:confused: It's stayed put and seems OK but I'm still not too comfy about it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, lower the spare tire mechanism and take a look at the carrier frame.
At one time I found my tire loose and discovered the carrier frame had bent.
Maybe as you turn the crank you are bending the carrier frame.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JonV

Bob,
I drop my spare every 6 months or so to check the pressure and have never had any sort of problem. It kinda makes you go HMMMMM...

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, lower the spare tire mechanism and take a look at the carrier frame.
At one time I found my tire loose and discovered the carrier frame had bent.
Maybe as you turn the crank you are bending the carrier frame.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Dave, I had slightly bent the frame a few years ago. I dragged the tire a little on a steep exit from a campground in Branson. I knew it was a possibility so it was a real slow pass with Lin watching. Anyway, I've had the spare down a few times since but never noticed the current situation. The spare reaches the top but I can still turn the crank. It feels as if it's skipping a cog or something. The spare stays put but I'm shopping. I found what appears to be a good looking replacement made by LCI but offered by another distributor. I couldn't find it on the LCI website though. I'll post a link when I get back to shopping.

gvtahoe88

Dave, I had slightly bent the frame a few years ago. I dragged the tire a little on a steep exit from a campground in Branson. I knew it was a possibility so it was a real slow pass with Lin watching. Anyway, I've had the spare down a few times since but never noticed the current situation. The spare reaches the top but I can still turn the crank. It feels as if it's skipping a cog or something. The spare stays put but I'm shopping. I found what appears to be a good looking replacement made by LCI but offered by another distributor. I couldn't find it on the LCI website though. I'll post a link when I get back to shopping.

Hello Ray!! Lowered my spare yesterday and metal chunks were falling down with the tire. This is on our 2012 Big Horn. Have only lowered it 2 times before and that was because of the Blow Max Tires now all gone. To top it all off the shaft to crank it is welded to the pulley . Called Heartland they said call Lippert did that but the lady I talked to did not have a clue. So I will pull it down cut the shaft off and try to find a replacement. Also these things are junk not very sturdy to hold up a heavy tire and wheel. Oh well just another day in the fix it life of RVING. See ya!!!

Ray LeTourneau

I found THIS ONE but no specs for capacity are listed. I see that it's made by Lippert but coouldn't find it on the LCI website. I'm still shopping but might just call Lippert for more info.

Gaffer

I had to ramp the entrance to the driveway at my old house mostly due to the crown of the road to keep my spare from dragging. Got tired of the hassel so I moved it to the front compartment. It stays clean, dry and is easy to check the pressure. Another thought is to move the crank assembly to the front of the rig just behind the landing gear or if there is room, just in front of the axles.