ATF: Big Country - the right tires & axles

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bryan, the question has still not been answered. What tires are standard on a 3650 BC. Are they "E"s or "G"s?? The website states "G"s for a 3650.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bryan, the question has still not be answered. What tires are standard on a 3650 BC. Are they "E"s or "G"s?? The website states "G"s for a 3650.
Bob, Bryan answered this early on in this thread. All Big Country trailers are coming with "E" rated tires. Same with the Bighorn, all are "E" rated. The only trailer to get "G" tires will be the Landmark.
The "G" rated tires are available as an option but may not be listed on the dealers option sheet so the buyer may not know it's an available option.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK Ray, but have you looked at the spec sheet on HL's website for Big Country's?? Unless I'm wrong it states that a 3650 BC comes with "G" rated tires. What I read did not say it was an option. Maybe someone needs to look at what is posted and change it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
True, Bryan didn't respond to the website being "outdated". Then there's that little asterisk saying they can make changes that may not be published for a while. I don't know who updates the website or how often. Doesn't seem right does it?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a new "Spring Preview" Big Country brochure I picked up at the RV show this February, that says: "TIRE/AXLES/SUSPENSION Heavy Duty E-Rated 16" Tires (G-Rated on 3510L, 3450TS, 3494QBS,3550TSL,3650RL)"

This is under the standard features, not options.

E

caissiel

I am very proud of Heartlands effort to install 7K axles on the units, that I have on my unit.
I have observed many trailer with over 14K GVW and they are all equiped with 6K axles and E tires. Most E tires I have observed on the SOB's are rated around 3500Lbs so I would think for competing with the SOB's Heartland would possibly be forced to keep to the norm.
Just my observation.

ihsolutions

The change to E-rated tires is an interesting one. I will take Bryan at his word that they are sufficient to carry the load and not self-destruct. For me, I don't want China tires anyways so I ordered the G614's like many of you and I'm glad I did. So this change wouldn't really affect me unless they have also raised the price of the G614's.

In general though I will make this comment. In some ways it does seem like there has been some de-contenting of these coaches ever since the Thor acquisition. Things like the steel baggage doors (replaced with standard cheapo's), under-bed drawer (gone now), cable driven bedroom slide (instead of hydraulic), and now the tires, have been cheapened, while other new features have been added.

In one sense, it makes me want to keep my early model 2011 BH3670 forever. There are things that would be a definite step backward in my view. But those new gold edition BC's are absolutely gorgeous, so we'll see.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The change to E-rated tires is an interesting one. I will take Bryan at his word that they are sufficient to carry the load and not self-destruct. For me, I don't want China tires anyways so I ordered the G614's like many of you and I'm glad I did. So this change wouldn't really affect me unless they have also raised the price of the G614's.

In general though I will make this comment. In some ways it does seem like there has been some de-contenting of these coaches ever since the Thor acquisition. Things like the steel baggage doors (replaced with standard cheapo's), under-bed drawer (gone now), cable driven bedroom slide (instead of hydraulic), and now the tires, have been cheapened, while other new features have been added.

In one sense, it makes me want to keep my early model 2011 BH3670 forever. There are things that would be a definite step backward in my view. But those new gold edition BC's are absolutely gorgeous, so we'll see.[/QUOTE

The changes have been occuring since way before Thor. Sometimes it's the little things like the elimination of the toilet sprayer or moving the UDC to the baggage compartment from its own compartment to changing from LED lights to regular lights. Another reason to keep our Classic Landmark.

B

bwwalczak

We will give you every reason to buy a current model. Something NO one has discussed is the price protections Thor has provided to Heartland. Smaller RV manufacturers are enduring extraordinary price increases for all raw good (metal, foam, fabric, wood, etc). Heartland has gone through some vendor increases, but not to the same extent of other smaller manufacturers.

Lets not lose focus on what are still the best 5th wheels made - Big Country.

No other Heartland 5th wheel offers the wireless remote control system (slides, hydraulic front jacks, and awning). No other Heartland 5th wheel has the GOLD edition with full body graphics and painted front and rear caps. No other Heartland 5th wheel has a true sidewall matching TPO roof.

I could go on for HOURS talking about why Big Country is the best value now.

If you ever want to discuss feel free to call me directly - direct phone line: 574-266-3779. I CARE that you get the best 5th wheel (of course Big Country).

TravelTiger

Bryan,

We do understand Heartland makes a great product compared to "the other guys". What we are noticing are changes from the pre-Thor days, that seem to be steps backwards... Possibly to help keep the price-point and afford the new features? Personally I would think upgraded axles/tires would be an excellent selling point. Most buyers of this class of 5vers have been around the block, and know not to settle for "sufficient."

P.S. I thought the 2011+ ElkRidge had a remote for landing gear, slides, awning and lights? (I know, not hydraulic.) ;-)

E

Rob_Fla

I would agree, I have seem some other brands that Thor bought and they changed their large (35 Ft +) 5th Wheels to the lighter duty tires.
When I was at a dealer a couple of weeks ago that had the other brand, a New Large 5th Wheel came in with the Goodyear Marathons on it, one tire was shreded, it did not make it from the Plant to the Dealer.
Sure did not give me the "Warm & Fuzzy" feeling.
At the time I was glad Heartland used a heaver rated G tire, guess no more Heartland advantage now!

ihsolutions

Lets not lose focus on what are still the best 5th wheels made - Big Country.

No other Heartland 5th wheel offers the wireless remote control system (slides, hydraulic front jacks, and awning). No other Heartland 5th wheel has the GOLD edition with full body graphics and painted front and rear caps. No other Heartland 5th wheel has a true sidewall matching TPO roof.

I could go on for HOURS talking about why Big Country is the best value now.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love Bryan's enthusiasm and confidence in the value that BC offers. Really makes me want to buy one. Bryan, like I think I told you at the plant last week (or maybe it was Ryan), when you make a floorplan that allows the sofa to remain in the rear of the coach (with slides in), my checkbook will find it's way out of my pocket pretty quickly!

B

bwwalczak

I don't know about anyone else, but I love Bryan's enthusiasm and confidence in the value that BC offers. Really makes me want to buy one. Bryan, like I think I told you at the plant last week (or maybe it was Ryan), when you make a floorplan that allows the sofa to remain in the rear of the coach (with slides in), my checkbook will find it's way out of my pocket pretty quickly!

Promises promises.... Things can happen quicker than you think!!!

ihsolutions

Promises promises.... Things can happen quicker than you think!!!

Uh oh! I need to learn not to put these things in writing. It wouldn't even do me any good to edit it. He quoted me!

But seriously, I am definitely keeping an eye on BC floorplans. I spoke to a dealer about them today and he said he's seeing a lot more interest in the BC than he is in the BH. I think it's pretty obvious the new BC is a winner!

TravelTiger

spoke to a dealer about them today and he said he's seeing a lot more interest in the BC than he is in the BH. I think it's pretty obvious the new BC is a winner!

Strategic marketing! All them current, happy Big Horn owners need something "new and bettah" to move up into! ;)

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
You are correct, the 3650RL Big Country does have 2 7,000lbs rated axles. All Heartland 5th wheels are built with E rated tires for 2012 model year. This includes Big Country, Bighorn.

I didn't read every post here. My 2011 BH3670 came standard from the factory with "G" rated tires, just to clarify.