ATF: Bighorn - 3160 EL Mystery coax jumpers in the bedroom closet

SeattleLion

There are two RG6 wall plates with a jumper between them in our bedroom closet. I have the latest coax wiring plan and they do no show there. Below is a photo of the connectors. They are located with the controller cable for the satellite prewiring on the roof. I am hoping that it is the cable for the satellite so that a receiver can be located there. Can you clarify what they are?

Attachments

• bh3160-closet connectors.jpg
    bh3160-closet connectors.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 197

hriker

One goes to your antenna and other goes to your satellite. You could put your receiver there. But if your rig is like mine there is a single coax that runs to the TV through the wall/ceiling and you have to keep moving that small jumper to select air/cable or sat. That's inconvenient so I ran a separate coax to my TV that is always connected to the sat input and have the receiver on my dresser connected to the TV. Then I only need to change the input on the TV when I want to select air/cable or sat. Works for me and I was able run that extra coax cable under the dresser and into the closet next to it. Easier then changing that jumper all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

SeattleLion

One goes to your antenna and other goes to your satellite. You could put your receiver there. But if your rig is like mine there is a single coax that runs to the TV through the wall/ceiling and you have to keep moving that small jumper to select air/cable or sat. That's inconvenient so I ran a separate coax to my TV that is always connected to the sat input and have the receiver on my dresser connected to the TV. Then I only need to change the input on the TV when I want to select air/cable or sat. Works for me and I was able run that extra coax cable under the dresser and into the closet next to it. Easier then changing that jumper all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

That isn't correct. Please refer to the photo. This is a pair of RG6 in the bedroom closet of the 3610 EL. They have a jumper on them so they can't be two feeds.

jbeletti

It's the OTA (over-the-air) TV antenna feed from the OTA wall plate in the closet to the OTA wall plate at the bedroom RV.

SeattleLion

I got an email from Kary Katzenberger clarifying. As I had hoped, the jumpered RG6 wall connectors are the satellite feed to the bedroom. I am massively impressed that Heartland engineers realized that there is no good location for a receiver near the TV and made this perfect provision for remotely locating it in the bedroom closet. I already have an IR repeater, so there is no issue with using my sat remote even though the receiver is behind a solid wall. It also appears that there may be an HDMI outlet with the RG6 jumpers as well. I will have to check that this weekend. If so, I will have absolutely no wiring to do for bedroom satellite. The living room is already set up that way.

Thank you so much! The closer I look, the happier I am with my investment in the 3160.

SeattleLion

We did our PDI and had a chance to figure out the mysterious bedroom closet wiring. It turns out the antenna power booster is in the closet. The two RG6 that are jumpered connect the antenna to the bedroom TV. The remaining RG 6 jack appears to be the sat feed from the basement. There is no HDMI cable from the closet to the bedroom tv. The updated drawing we got says there is. Based on this setup, without extra, customer-installed wiring, both antenna/cable and sat tv can get to the bedroom monitor. I am surprised that the drawing is wrong.

jbeletti

Bob - if I understand this correctly, the HDMI cable inclusion for the bedroom is a more recent update. It may not have been in place when your unit was produced and the drawing may be the current drawing.

SeattleLion

Bob - if I understand this correctly, the HDMI cable inclusion for the bedroom is a more recent update. It may not have been in place when your unit was produced and the drawing may be the current drawing.

It's possible, but massively surprising. My coach was built at the end of January. Not much I can do about it, but it disappoints me that it isn't there. It is really needed.

SeattleLion

Given that the coach has a high profile bedroom AC (both AC's are black on a white trailer - strange), is there any way to confirm where the cables are buried in the roof?