ATF: Bighorn - 8,000 lb. Axles

violinini1

When I purchased my 3760EL in Feb, 2016, I upgraded to the 8,000 lb. axle, however, on the specification tag on the side of the vehicle, it says 6,700 lb per axle maximum load. Did the factory install the wrong sticker? If so, how do I get this replaced?

jimtoo

Hi violinini1,

What tires do you have on the unit and what are weight ratings on the tires? This is probably why you do not see 8000# on the sticker.

Jim M

danemayer

When I purchased my 3760EL in Feb, 2016, I upgraded to the 8,000 lb. axle, however, on the specification tag on the side of the vehicle, it says 6,700 lb per axle maximum load. Did the factory install the wrong sticker? If so, how do I get this replaced?

My understanding is that the GVWR label, which details axle and tire loading as well, is based on the base trailer design and doesn't get adjusted upward if you upgrade components.

dewwood

Look on the axles themselves, they should say what they are rated for. I think Dan is right they do not change the sticker but if you know they are 8000 lb then your mind should be at ease.

rhodies1

you need to look at the sticker on the axle to see what was installed on your unit.Hopefully you have theproper axles and the issue is actually the sticker is incorrect.

MTPockets

We upgraded axles & tires and were told the label could/would not be changed. That would require some extensive recertification which would change the entire unit/model number, etc...

violinini1

I do have the Goodyear G-614, so I know that the tires and the axles will handle the load, even if the sticker does not say so. As they say below, I do have the peace of mind knowing that I am the safest I can be. Of course, I will not try to exceed the rated 16,000 pounds for the RV, but I know, if I do, I will be OK.
Thank you for your reply.
Don

danemayer

I do have the Goodyear G-614, so I know that the tires and the axles will handle the load, even if the sticker does not say so. As they say below, I do have the peace of mind knowing that I am the safest I can be. Of course, I will not try to exceed the rated 16,000 pounds for the RV, but I know, if I do, I will be OK.
Thank you for your reply.
Don
Don,

The GVWR is based on the combination of multiple elements in the RV. While you've upgraded some elements, there could be another element that constrains the GVWR to 16,000.

mlpeloquin

You most likely can carry the weight, but if you are in a traffic accident and the rig is weight is over the sticker rating.... That is the risk you will be taking.

NHCelt

It would have to be a real serious crash to get weighed... Like a fatality where overloading was considered a factor. As a practical matter, it isn't likely to happen.

Celt

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

macjj

It is not uncommon for manufactures to fudge the ratings, and there is little oversight (such as NTSB). My 2012 was stated as 7000 rating, however they installed 8 lug wheels w/12 ply tires on a 6000 lb axels (actual rating of 5800lbs). I found this to be a common practice. Will a HP pull you over in a weight station and craw under to confirm, I seriously doubt it. Are you safe as is, most likely, as long as you have good tires (Goodyear G-614, but NOT Towmax). I would recommend at that weight you convert to Electric-Hydraulic Disk brakes (if not already installed). The new towing vehicles have larger disk breaks, but you are towing a heavy mass, that takes time to stop safely with the inconsiderate drivers out there - just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AAdams

We also upgraded the axles to 8k and the GVWR did not change. On the Special Build sheet it does state

"12.25 X 3.375 UPGRADED BRAKES W/ E-Z LUBE AXLES
(8,000 LB AXLES but the GVWR does NOT change)"

So it is not an error for the tag not to be changed. Since there are a lot of other things that are taken it to account when the GVWR is computed I do not believe that there is a cushion of 2k that we may anticipate because of the upgrade. The steel in the frame ( Size, type, grade, etc ), mounting brackets for the springs, etc need to be taken in to account. So when you say that you are trying to stay at the 16k you are IMHO doing the right thing. The upgraded brakes, what the upgrade was sold as, will help you in the long run vs the 7k axles/brakes in stopping.

Safe travels.

donr827

We upgraded axles & tires and were told the label could/would not be changed. That would require some extensive recertification which would change the entire unit/model number, etc...
Same thing I was told when I called about the label. You might ask for a build sheet from HL. It should show the upgrade in case you sell the trailer in the future.
Don