ATF: Bighorn - A/C fan very loud

dennych1

My wife hates the loud sound from the fan of a/c unit. It is really loud. My Everest that I traded in was no where's near as loud. She is especially angry that the new one are coming with the quiet cool a/c. I have. 2015 mine is new. I was hoping the factory can help me with this and make my wife happy with this. Because we all know a happy wife is a happy life. I also think it's extremely loud.
Thanks
Dennis

danemayer

Hi dennych1,

If you have two A/C units that use common ducting, one thing you can do is set the thermostats so the bedroom A/C unit does most of the work while you're in the living room, and vice-versa when you're in the bedroom.

Garypowell

Along with what Dan said....are they both loud (assuming you have two units)? Hearing something as too loud can be hard to get fixed....but if one unit is twice as loud as the other one....that might get someones attention.

dennych1

Both fans are loud and I do use bedroom to cool living room when I can. I wish they put the quiet cool in mine since it is a 2015

kkamshop

I can sympathize with you Dennis, we had the second a/c installed this spring and it is like having a train overhead! The fan is loud, but when the compressor runs, for a/c or heat pump, the bedroom and bathroom walls and the bedframe vibrate! I can't imagine this is normal, as no one would think this is acceptable level of noise. We are going back to the installer for advice...

donr827

I can sympathize with you Dennis, we had the second a/c installed this spring and it is like having a train overhead! The fan is loud, but when the compressor runs, for a/c or heat pump, the bedroom and bathroom walls and the bedframe vibrate! I can't imagine this is normal, as no one would think this is acceptable level of noise. We are going back to the installer for advice...
I had a similar problem on my front a/c. The problem was the rubber gromlets under the compressors legs that absorb vibration. Wrong ones were used when they manufactured the a/c.....Don

kkamshop

I had a similar problem on my front a/c. The problem was the rubber gromlets under the compressors legs that absorb vibration. Wrong ones were used when they manufactured the a/c.....Don

Thanks Don! I will check that out!

sengli

The biggest thing I was told that worked was to make sure the T-stats are set to auto. Mine werent originally, and yes the AC's were loud all the time. Now that they are set to auto fan speed, they quiet down alot when they are nearing the set temp. And we do like danemayer says, when in the living room we run the bedroom unit. And when in the bedroom, we run the living room unit. Since this is our first luxo fiver, we dont know any different, but the AC's do seem kinda loud.

dennych1

The biggest thing I was told that worked was to make sure the T-stats are set to auto. Mine werent originally, and yes the AC's were loud all the time. Now that they are set to auto fan speed, they quiet down alot when they are nearing the set temp. And we do like danemayer says, when in the living room we run the bedroom unit. And when in the bedroom, we run the living room unit. Since this is our first luxo fiver, we dont know any different, but the AC's do seem kinda loud.

Sengli, I do set the stat to auto doesn't seem to make a difference. Don from Heartland called me and said he would check to see iff he can find out what decibel reading should be and also if new quiet cool a/c can be retrofitted in.

Dennis

dennych1

Found out if you take ac cover off in living room and tape over vents that divert air to living room that makes it maybe 15 percent quieter. It makes it bare ablebare able

Westwind

I'm puzzled by your statement "Tape over vents that divert air to Living Room" , Do you mean the vents in the square or rectangular grille in the living room ceiling?

dennych1

I'm puzzled by your statement "Tape over vents that divert air to Living Room" , Do you mean the vents in the square or rectangular grille in the living room ceiling?

Yes the plastic big cover that has the filter in it. You have to take down the hole plastic cover not the area where filter is the whole cover. Then where the movable vents that divert air from ducts to living room you close them and tape over it from the back side. You won't be able to open them any more but it did quiet the a/c down so it was bearable.
Dennis

SeattleLion

Our AC's both are very noisy. What's worse is that the fans never went to low speed...even when we tried manually. Heartland replaced both units. Since they did this after the hot weather, we don't know how much noise we will save. I agree that it is really horrid. I'm hoping the new units will quiet things down a bit.

Westwind

Since we use the AC a lot in the month of April while snow birding in Florida I'm going to try the tape and see if it helps - the noise is annoying - It a problem that AC manufacturers should really take a look at and see if an improvement can be made.

etcmss

our 3260 Elite also has this problem. I have not seen a factory response or solution. You should not have to take off covers and tape over ducts to "hope" on noise reduction. This particular item would be a reason to seek another manufacturer. So could we get an "ATF" response?

danemayer

our 3260 Elite also has this problem. I have not seen a factory response or solution. You should not have to take off covers and tape over ducts to "hope" on noise reduction. This particular item would be a reason to seek another manufacturer. So could we get an "ATF" response?

Hi etcmss,

It's hard to imagine what kind of response the factory might provide. "Noisy" or "loud" are subjective statements. If you think your air conditioner is louder it's supposed to be, you should take it to your dealer to find out if there's something wrong.

etcmss

I called Heartland (as recommended by Dan) and talked to the BH Manager about the loud AC"s. He said there is nothing currently that can be done to fix it. Covering parts of the unit under the cover is not recommended since it may affect AC capability and could lead to failure. He did say the future models will have the quiet versions installed in the Landmarks. So if we want quieter we have to upgrade. Gary