ATF: Bighorn - AC Converter brand/model/options

SeattleLion

We have a BH 3160EL (2014). I have been reading about converters and battery charging (Trailer Life). I would like to know what converter is in our coach and where it is located. If it is the Progressive unit, I would like to add the smart charging Charge Wizard.

Any help would be appreciated.

MikeR

We have a BH 3160EL (2014). I have been reading about converters and battery charging (Trailer Life). I would like to know what converter is in our coach and where it is located. If it is the Progressive unit, I would like to add the smart charging Charge Wizard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Heartland uses the Progressive Dynamics convertors. They come with the Charge Wizard. You can add a Remote Pendant , so that you can see which mode the Charge Wizard is in for charging.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The converter usually gets installed at the factory in the basement near the back wall. You'll have to remove the walls in the basement to find it. When you do, consider moving it to a place where a water leak (or the anti-siphon valve) won't get to it. There are three fuses on it that may need attention at some point, so make it accessible. And the cooling fan needs a clean air supply, so get it out of the construction debris down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleLion

Heartland uses the Progressive Dynamics convertors. They come with the Charge Wizard. You can add a Remote Pendant , so that you can see which mode the Charge Wizard is in for charging.

According to the Progressive website, the charge wizard logic is in the pendant.

Jim.Allison

While he is in there he should secure all the wires and tape the wire nuts so that they don't back off, just a couple of wraps around the nut and wire will do the trick. not trying to insulate it just secure the nut.

The converter usually gets installed at the factory in the basement near the back wall. You'll have to remove the walls in the basement to find it. When you do, consider moving it to a place where a water leak (or the anti-siphon valve) won't get to it. There are three fuses on it that may need attention at some point, so make it accessible. And the cooling fan needs a clean air supply, so get it out of the construction debris down there.

MikeR

According to the Progressive website, the charge wizard logic is in the pendant.

No the pendant is separate. Charge wizard circuitry is built into the convertor. The only thing the pendant does is show you which charging mode the convertor is in. You can plug it into the convertor and have the display inside your unit or in your basement or wherever you want to locate it.

If you buy a Progressive Dynamics convertor from an RV parts supplier you get the pendant. They don't supply the pendant to the OEMs.

SeattleLion

I noticed that some models of the converter do have the charge wizard, but not all. I am trying to find out which model I have in mine.

MikeR

I noticed that some models of the converter do have the charge wizard, but not all. I am trying to find out which model I have in mine.

The PD convertors that Heartland supplies includes the Charge Wizard. Take down the back wall in your basement and read the labels on the convertor or you could call Heartland service and they will tell you

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Weren't they using a Wyco converter at one time, or still are in some lines?

Jim.Allison

There are two different things that need to be understood about the PD chargers.

1) The PD9200 has charge wizard built in. There is no "Charge Wizard" for the PD9200, only a status pendant.

2) The PD9100 Charger does not have "Charge Wizard" There is a "Charge Wizard Pendant" for the PD9100

My PD9200 is in the garage. It has been replaced by a Xantrex inverter charger. I keep it on my bench in case I need to charge a battery, it is a quality charger, there is no such bench charger as good as a four step like the progressive.

The data port for the pendant is on the side of the PD9200 and has a sticker that says PD92201 pendant only only.

My PD9200 came out of a 2014 Big Country. It says clearly that it is a 80 amp model. My charger has BUILT IN Charge Wizard.

The Converter Status Remote Pendant for the PD9200 is a reporting device only, you cannot control anything with the pendant. It will only tell you what the charger is doing at the moment. I do not have the pendant.

To monitor your batts there are other more useful but more complex devices available that will tell you how much battery power you have on hand and how much you have used. They can tell you in amps what your charger is doing and when the batts are full, they report voltage charge as well. It does take some study to learn what the devise is telling you. And you have to be sure you install it correctly (of course that it true with all onboard electrical)

If you are using the charger to run the DC components of your rig and you have a small battery bank you can get away with the charger only, no pendant, and just trust that the PD9200 is doing what it is supposed to do and you can't alter with the pendant anyway

But if you intend to add an inverter and some solar, dont waste your money on the pendant. You will probably make the PD charger a bench charger like I did. But the pendant is only $10.95 if you think you need one.

The "Charge Wizard" is a microprocessor for the PD9100 charger. The Charge wizard is NOT built into the PD9100 charger. So if you want efficient charging you need to buy the "Charge Wizard." It sells for $32.95.