ATF: Bighorn - Axle Issue/Tire Wear

mpuppy

Trailer: 2011 Big Horn 3070
Purchase Date: March 2011
Approx. mileage: 6000 kilometers
Issue: All four tires are wearing on the outside edge. One of the four tires is really bad and will require replacement.

I have kept these tires at a constant 75psi cold. We took a trip from Calgary, Alberta to San Francisco, CA and noticed the wear on our return. The original dealership was advised of problem and arrangements was made to drop trailer off for diagnosis. Presently trailer is still at dealership, but service advisor is indicating axels are in alignment and manufacturer may not do anything.

I find it hard to believe that a new $55,000 trailer would have tires wear out so quick and manufacturer possibly refusing to performing corrective action. Can anyone from manufacturer help here?

Jimmy

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Axel Issue/Tire Wear

Mine calls for 110 Pounds of Air... Not sure on yours?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I agree Jimmy, mine calls for 110 psi also. I think it is because we have 7000 lb axles. I believe the 3070 had 6000 lb axles. (unverified) Don't know what the proper infation for those tires should be. I would be on the sidewall of the tire.

Mine were wearing evenly on all the inside and outside edges at about 8000 miles. When I checked them they were all under inflated at about 85 psi.
Since I travel in warmer climates, I put them up to around 95-97 psi cold to allow for expansion. Hopefully that will help with the edges wearing.

Regarding the OP;
You would think they would look for it, but you could ask them to verify the axles aren't bent.

Trace

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
mpuppy, I would call Heartland and ask if it's OK for you or the dealer to take it to a frame/alignment shop. I don't feel the average dealer is equipped to diagnose alignment specs. I also feel his speculation is incorrect about Heartland not willing to do anything about it. Call Heartland! I think you may have a lazy service advisor.

rick_debbie_gallant

hummmmmmm, ifI remember correctly during my PDI the techie told me to put no more than 90 psi in the tires. Not taking anyones word for anything I looked into it. Result? I inflated to 110 psi. That is what the tag on the rig says and also what the tires say. Thats all I have to say about that

hoefler

I agree that 75 PSI is too low. All axles are aligned with a slight toe in. Under inflation will allow the tires roll under causing the wear you are describing. If the tires have a soft side wall, it could very severe. Air pressure is what will stiffen the side walls to keep them from flexing, wearing improperly, and over heating.

RollingHome

All HL units have the recomended tire inflation pressure on the Vin label at the front of the coach. Unless you've changed tires that call for a different pressure I would follow HL's recomendation.

Rmcgrath53

If you are mechicaly inclined you could run a plumb bob from the center of your king pin to the ground and then mark it. Take your tape measure from the point on the ground to a place on the right tire. Then measure the exact spot on the left tire as you did the right tire. Mine was 1 and 1half inches different. I bought a product called Correct track 2 that mounts to your shackels and aligns your traler. You also can adjust the parralel nes of your axles. Riecon Titan sells it.
Ron

Birchwood

The first year with my Landmark I run unbalanced wheels with 90 psi per tire and never noticed
that much tire wear.Traveled to South Florida and back to New Brunswick Canada.I did replace
one tire this summer because of inside wear and not sure why this occurred.Finally had them balanced
this summer so maybe that was the problem.I wasn't aware they were not balanced at purchase.

ihsolutions

I believe newer BH's went to "E" rated tires (as opposed to "G") which would require a lower pressure, probably 80psi.

If that is the case, it would seem unlikely that a 5psi deficiency would cause that kind of tire wear.

mpuppy

Thanks for everyones comments - I do appreciate it.
Just to clarify - the rating on the tire itself indicates 80psi maximum. I inflated to 75psi cold allowing a buffer for when tires heat up.
I am not exactly sure what the dealer technicians performed to say that the axels are in alignment. When asked, the service co-ordinator said that the Heartland representative would not do anything about this issue. I replied that this answer is unacceptable and the problem needs to be found. It can not be normal to install new tires every 6000km. The service coordinator said he would talk to Heartland again and get back to me so now I wait.

mpuppy

Forgot to address some of the other replies:

The problem is not the toe in. If this was the case, then the tread would be somewhat `feathered'.
I don't believe it would be the tire balance either as this would cause tire flat spotting or a odd inside/outside edge wear pattern.
As a auto mechanic in my previous life, the pattern of tire wear simulates that ther is too much positve camber. My suspicion is either axel is out of alignment or possibly wheel bearings causing the issue.

In any case, my main point is that this trailer is new and well within the warranty period - the dealership/Heartland should without question correct the issue properly under warranty.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I really think that you need to contact Heartland yourself. There are guidelines for checking your axle. I don't really agree with them, but you gotta follow them. Heartland may have you contact Lippert, or MorRyde depending on who's axles you have.
I had a similar problem with mine. When I took it to the dealer they did their check and said everything was good. Not for me! I made the call to Heartland and in a minute we were in a three way call with Lippert. Long story short I got new axles.
In my case I could look down the line at the tires and actually see that there was way to much camber on one wheel position.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe newer BH's went to "E" rated tires (as opposed to "G") which would require a lower pressure, probably 80psi.

If that is the case, it would seem unlikely that a 5psi deficiency would cause that kind of tire wear.

My 3670 mfgr date is Jan 2011 and I have "G" rated tires.